Low fat/FF Dairy vs Regular Dairy

Options
I've heard good and bad about both low fat/FF dairy and regular dairy. Curious to hear what others prefer.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    And that won't change by the end of this thread. I prefer full fat for most options except milk then I'm generally in the 2% camp on taste.
  • nelli45
    nelli45 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I prefer full fat. I went with FF and low fat for a while but then saw all of the added sugar and other ingredients and decided to go back! I drink almond milk vs cows milk.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    All the way -- full fat cheese, full fat yogurt, . .
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For the most part I would rather have a smaller amount of the real deal than a larger quantity of a low or fat free version. I use 10% or 18% M.F cream in my coffee, 14% M.F sour cream, some 6% M.F yogurts, real butter, and most cheeses. I use 0.5% M.F milk on cereal and in some cooking applications, 0.5% M.F plain yogurt, and at my local cheese market I have found a reduced fat extra aged cheddar that tastes equally good to the regular.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For milk and yogurt I like all kinds, so it kind of depends on what specifically I'm in the mood for or my macros for the day. Cottage cheese I usually like 1 or 2 percent. Cheese I like full fat, of course. If non full fat butter exists, I don't want to know about it.

I don't think any of the options are unhealthy. Some are just easy to overeat in that they have lots of calories.

Not sure what you mean about added sugar--there's none in the low fat or skim dairy I buy.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It totally depends! I am a stickler for comparing in the grocery aisle. I look for calories first, then protein and sugars. If there is only a gram or two extra sugar but a significant savings in calories, without sacrificing protein, I'll go lower fat IF it doesn't ruin the taste.

Currently, I eat:

1% Cottage Cheese
    Light Cream Cheese
    Regular Cheddar Cheese
    Full Fat Butter (never margarine)

Also: full fat peanut butter.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I will go with full fat. Always make sure you are only taking good fats. Use good saturated oil only like pumpkin, walnut etc...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I can't do FF, I was lactose intolerant as a kid/teen and even though I've grown out of it, FF milk is too... thick? If that makes sense. But I don't like fat free, either. 2% for me.

Otherwise, full fat cheese and cream, yogurt when I have it, but low fat cottage cheese (I don't think I've ever even seen FF?)
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Depends on why I'm eating it - full fat if I want the calcium, fat free if I'm after the protein (greek yogurt, in the main). Mostly full fat, though.

To echo what another poster said - is it added sugar or just an upped proportion of sugar, due to the fat being taken out?
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I prefer FF over low fat.... mainly because its pretty much proven that fat content has nothing to do with weight gain/loss. (Really we should re-name it something other than "fat").

The only time I choose something low fat over FF is if I'm trying to keep the calories down in a recipe near the end of the day when I don't have a lot left in my diary to use. (For example using 0% fat Greek yogurt over the FF version does save about 100 calories per serving). This isn't always the case though since some products just load extra sugar/calories to make up for the gross low fat taste. :P
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally depends. Yogurt... low fat or fat free. Milk, 1 or 2%. Cheese - low fat cheddar in tacos/omelets, low fat mozzarella for pizza, full fat everything else. Ricotta, either low fat or fat free. Low fat cream cheese and sour cream. Real butter when I have some.

Full fat doesn't really satisfy me more, so I tend to try to save the calories there so I can spend them on something else. I'll feel fuller from a fat free yogurt and an apple than just a full fat yogurt, for example.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I used to do skim milk because that was the "thing" to do. Then I heard that it's really not that much better for you so I switched to1%. Now I use full fat raw milk -- which I can make skim by putting it in a container that has a spigot in the bottom, let the cream separate and just draw off what's left -- but I like the cream mixed in. I'll never go back to regular store bought milk. Since I make my own yogurt that's full fat as well and for 1 cup it's only 132 calories and 7 grams of fat.

I've also gotten away from fat free feta cheese. The full fat is way better and I just can't do low fat cheeses like cheddar and such. Even though Cabot makes a really good 50% cheese it's not something that I seek out in the stores. Full fat all the way with my cheeses.

I suppose it's just a matter of taste.
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i use FF except for yogurt, and sometimes water FF milk down to half if having cereal
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, milk, ricotta and sour cream - low fat or fat free
    Cheese - full fat all the way, totally worth the calories
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I use low fat milk, low fat mayo, low fat sour cream.

Yogurt - depends which one I like, I don't set out to buy low fat in particular.
    Full fat cheese - high in calories I know so have to closely watch calories with that.
    I do use low fat grated cheese in cooking though.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I like full fat. I've been drinking 2% milk due to calories but will probably go back to full fat since I'm upping them. I get nonhomogenized milk. The cream rises to the top. I love opening a new bottle and finding a blob of cream on top.
  • mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use full fat for most things and 2% for milk. Sometimes I do low fat sour cream, but when it comes to cheese I only do full fat anymore. I even shred my own, it melts so much better than the bagged stuff.
  • nelli45
    nelli45 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. It helped lots!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've heard good and bad about both low fat/FF dairy and regular dairy. Curious to hear what others prefer.

I use partly skimmed (2%) milk because it fits my macros better. Full fat butter and cheese.

They're all good, do whatever fits your eating preferences the best.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    For cheese and sour cream, I prefer full fat. I'm not so much of a milk person, so I prefer 1% or just almond milk. For yogurt I'll take low fat Greek.

ETA: for got butter!! Full fat :)