Poll: Frozen meals or not?

Options
I know alot of people rely on frozen meals (i.e. lean cuisine, healthy choice, WW) for portion control and a quick go-to for work, etc.

I've read alot about how bad they are for you concerning sodium, carbs, etc in certain books. Yet, my health mags have pages listening faves or best for you, yada yada. I have mixed feelings, but I buy them because i have two small children and I work full-time and there are days when I do not have time to make anything for lunch at work or at home. I'm not crazy about them, so I don't take them to work except once a week if I can help it.

My go-to is SmartOnes Angel Hair Marinara with a tbsp of grated parmesean cheese. It keeps me full, but it has 40 carbs and quite a bit of sodium.

Anyway, what are your feelings???

Replies

• LivingFitNC
    LivingFitNC Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    it's cheaper to make bulk meals at the beginning of the week on sunday or saturday like chili or stew than to buy frozen entrees. Using a slow cooker also minimizes your time spent in the kitchen so you can still have a good, nutritious home cooked meal without all the added chemicals and sodium without as much of a sacrifice. I usually make one type Sunday night then another on a night when I have time, log the recipe into MFP, and the divvy it up into pyrex portions. They are more appetizing and satisfying than any frozen entree I've ever had and I know exactly what went into them!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I take them for lunch in the winter. I tend to want warm comfort foods and they keep me from going out to eat. I also keep some for pizza night ect. But I try not to use them too often
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    When I go for frozen meals I usually keep the carbs under 35 grams and try to keep the sodium under 500 mg. My daily sodium is under 2400 mg. It works for me, portion control is very important in my weight loss journey. It is part of an over all plan though. You have people that will swear up and down about eating whole foods, but smoke outside the gym. Do what works for you.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time, all you need to be aware of is your sodium intake with them. Just make sure your other meals in the day have less sodium & you're golden. They've never done me wrong. I eat them for lunches here & there and I've lost 32lbs so far so I'm not stopping :))
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I relied on them a lot when I first started losing weight -- but when I got closer to my goal, I found I wasn't losing and wasn't even maintaining very well. I didn't attribute it to the meals until we went through a financial rough patch and I stopped buying them to save money. Suddenly, I started losing weight even when I was eating more calories than I was when eating two Lean Cuisines per day!

With all the preservatives and sodium, I really think they sabotage weight loss. Also, I can put together a lower calorie meal with more "bulk" (more satisfying!) that costs less, tastes better, etc.

I find that Boca and Morningstar products are better than the packaged meals, and just as quick. I like to make wraps with La Tortilla Factory high fiber tortillas, some boca/morninstar crumbles (whatever's on sale!) and egg whites; I also like to make a BUNCH of brown rice at the beginning of the week and mix it with black beans & salsa & grilled chicken -- things like that.
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Homemade is usually healthier, but when there is a time crunch, I reach for a Smart One or a Lean Cuisine. Just remember, everything in moderation!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them often for portion control in the middle of my weight loss. To be honest, I never really paid attention to sodium and had no trouble losing weight. I eat them now and again for a quick fix when the kids are having mac and cheese or peanut butter and jelly and I don't want it. I think as long as you are drinking all of your water and staying within your calories, you will be fine. That's just my opinion...there are a lot of people who bash those frozen meals!
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    They are quick and easy but as everyone has indicated they are extremely high in sodium. I've bought them in the past until the dietician I work with pointed out the sodium intake. Depending on the time you have, when you make you dinners, make a little extra and put a controlled portion into a container and freeze it. This way you have a portion sized lunch that has less sodium. It's all a matter what you want to do. If you see that it does not effect you then it's up to you. Good luck.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yuck! I am not a fan of frozen foods so NOT
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust 80% of the stuff in over the counter health and fitness magazines. They are lined with adds for high sodium frozen foods because those companies have bought advertising in their magazines. See if you can find the time on the weekends to make some dishes up in bulk and freeze your own single serving containers to take for lunches. It will be a much healthier option.
  • marniehodges
    Options
    I don't think anything in moderation is bad, I wouldn't eat them for every meal but I do throw in a Lean Cuisine now and then. They actually taste good and the sodium content isn't awful. I actually get more sodium when I make a turkey (and that's low sodium turkey) sandwich. Again, I think portions and moderation is the key here to success. I haven't really given up a lot and don't deprive myself. At Christmas when we made fudge, I would have one piece instead of 5 or 6. Sorry, I know I'm getting off topic :laugh: . Bottom line, if you find some that are healthy that you like, throw some in the mix!
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    it's cheaper to make bulk meals at the beginning of the week on sunday or saturday like chili or stew than to buy frozen entrees. Using a slow cooker also minimizes your time spent in the kitchen so you can still have a good, nutritious home cooked meal without all the added chemicals and sodium without as much of a sacrifice. I usually make one type Sunday night then another on a night when I have time, log the recipe into MFP, and the divvy it up into pyrex portions. They are more appetizing and satisfying than any frozen entree I've ever had and I know exactly what went into them!

This is what I do too. that way I know exactly what I'm eating. Plus I like my food better then the store bought stuff anyway. :)
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I keep them around to keep me from making worse choices. If it stops you from eating fast food then use them. I usually keep a couple at work in the freezer just in case. Most of the time I cook lots of food for the week and package it up to take later, but every now and then I get lazy and dont. So if I dont have time to cook food to bring to work the frozen dinner come in handy. They are not the best, but it is better then just about anything else I can get at work.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I keep them around to keep me from making worse choices. If it stops you from eating fast food then use them. I usually keep a couple at work in the freezer just in case. Most of the time I cook lots of food for the week and package it up to take later, but every now and then I get lazy and dont. So if I dont have time to cook food to bring to work the frozen dinner come in handy. They are not the best, but it is better then just about anything else I can get at work.

I like this answer. You have to remember that making a lifestyle change is all about finding something that works for you and improves your health... not 'behaving perfectly all the time'. If frozen meals stop you having fast food then that is a huge change! As for the sodium, yes they are high in sodium but so are a lot of the natural foods that we can cook.... bread, pasta, cheese etc. A lot of the ones we have here (UK) are about 1/3 of the daily recs which I think for a main meal is quite reasonable.

When I'm at home, I cook most things from scratch... but when I'm living away from home for work, often without a fridge or proper cooking facilities, I don't really hesitate to substitute for ready meals.
  • floridabootcamp
    Options
    There are 2 major factors to consider when choosing food. 1 is quantity and the other is quality. Some frozen meals are portioned out to cover quantity but they are of poor quality. If you have trouble with your portions then you might want to use something to help you with that until you get better at it. If you are already good at controlling your portions then I would stay away from frozen meals since most of them are of poor quality (extra sodium, processed carbs, high in fat and the list goes on)....

Like the other poster said, I great way to fix that would be to cook your own meals and then freeze them.

Enjoy!
  • txmomma0889
    txmomma0889 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    They are good for me as a college student for lunch as I only have 1 hour inbetween classes but for dinner I would cook... expecially since i am practicing cause my son is getting older and i don't want to teach him bad habits...so they are good and bad at least to me anyways... I wouldn't eat them constantly
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I eat them occasionally, most often when I'm in a time crunch and usually mine are the breakfasts. I agree that moderation is they key and I do try and drink more water when I eat them because of the salt.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bleh. The only frozen "meals" I sometimes eat are waffles.
  • cjusticeg
    cjusticeg Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    homemade is the way to go, take 10 minutes the night before to prepare a meal. when you cut all unnecessary sodium from your diet, you will see and feel the results. anything frozen is going to have mass sodium in it. I barely eat frozen foods anymore(aside from yogurt) and when I do, it makes me feel yucky!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I think they're fine for an occasional meal- probably not a great idea to eat them every day and all the time.

But then, I think pretty much anything is fine so long as it's not overdone.