disstresful Doctor's visit concerning recovering anorexic.

Options

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I don't know. It seems this doctor may not know his a-hole from his elbow when it comes to recovery. I recommend finding one that does.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I hope you're seeing a therapist as well. That is not the way to talk to a recovering anorexic.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    if it was a gp, you may want to find someone who has experience dealing with eating disorders. most of your standard doctors have little to no experience with them, or any other mental illness for that matter, and are too rushed to think for a second about tact. that or he's just an *kitten*. either way, time to pack up and find a better one.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What the **** kind of a complete and utter moron tells someone who is NOT EVEN OUT OF UNDERWEIGHT to eat less?

Yeah, get a new doctor, preferably one who has some experience with eating disorders, but at least one who's not a moron.

Also, kudos to you for having your head on straight enough to not listen to him.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    For many people 2000 to 2200 is maintenance calories (it is for me, and I am petite). So, it is complete nonsense for a doctor to react that way (among many other reasons for the doctor being wrong).
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I know how you feel. I was seeing one of my doctor's when I was first starting recovery, and had told him that I had been diagnosed with an eating disorder. He asked me how I was doing and I said, Well, I've gotten chunky. So he goes and looks at my weight (which I didn't know at the time) and says, Yes, you have gotten chunky! I think doctors in general just don't understand eating disorders. In your case, I'm sure he was trying to say that you didn't look like you had gained. As for the calorie amount, I would try to find a nutritionist or dietician that specializes in eating disorders. That was very helpful to me.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I know how you feel. I was seeing one of my doctor's when I was first starting recovery, and had told him that I had been diagnosed with an eating disorder. He asked me how I was doing and I said, Well, I've gotten chunky. So he goes and looks at my weight (which I didn't know at the time) and says, Yes, you have gotten chunky!
    holy *kitten* i'm so sorry, and i thought my tales of being congratulated on my weight loss into the eighties by my gp was a horrorshow. i'd have straight up unleashed all my hangry fury on that guy.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I was doing really well, until today. I was at 99 lbs at 5'6, and now a month later I'm a healthier 108 lbs. My doctor made a comment asking "if I had bricks in my pocket?" When He Heard about my weight. I told him I was having 2000-2200 calories a day and he have me an odd look and proceeded to ask if I felt it was too much. I told him no, but I still sometimes felt hungry. He told me I shouldn't have any more than that even if I'm still hungry. He also said during the visit I only needed to gain a few pounds then he'd take me off the 2000 calories very soon. Is this normal? Does he sound like a poor doctor or am I'm just being too sensitive?

Stupid Doctor. You have an ED, and he's making light of it? I thin you are being logical and that's a good thing. It sounds like he's patting on the butt, giving you your hat and coat and saying "next!" He doesn't seem to be very concerned.

But what do I know, I'm a fatty. haha, but seriously, I am.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    How does a doctor "take you off of a 2000 calorie intake" ? Doctors do not have such powers. Believe it or not.

What do you mean by that?

I think what he means is that the doc can TELL you to stop eating 2000 calories but you can still feed yourself what you want regardless.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I know how you feel. I was seeing one of my doctor's when I was first starting recovery, and had told him that I had been diagnosed with an eating disorder. He asked me how I was doing and I said, Well, I've gotten chunky. So he goes and looks at my weight (which I didn't know at the time) and says, Yes, you have gotten chunky!
    holy *kitten* i'm so sorry, and i thought my tales of being congratulated on my weight loss into the eighties by my gp was a horrorshow. i'd have straight up unleashed all my hangry fury on that guy.

Say what now!?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking your recovery seriously and sharing your concerns. Basically, your doctor does not know what he is talking about. Unfortunately, this is often the case and we need to look out for ourselves. Recovering from AN is hard and not to be taken lightly. You are doing the right thing for yourself and you need a good health care team that knows their stuff, at the very least doesn't give harmful feedback and advice!!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

LOL At that point I was too devastated and tired to be hangry. :) I will admit I was so upset, I NEVER went back to see him. I ended up finding a new endocrinologist who I love (especially since he calls me skinny every time I see him LOL).*
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your recovery and having more sense than your doctor!! You seem like a very smart girl, it is not easy to recover from an ED. Unfortunately too many young people here on MFP are struggling with it. I think you need to change doctors. Comments such as his are what creates eating dosorders. He should be ashamed of himself.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Threads like this remind me that 50% of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Any doctor who says things like that to someone in recovery from an ED should have their damn license revoked. Totally ignorant and irresponsible. 2000 calories is pretty much the average intake of an averagely active female, the recommended intake before exercise, basically, so you most certainly should not be lowering it, especially given weight restoration usually involved intake of 2500-3500 a day.
  • onelonelysocknoble
    Options
    First off, so much kudos for you for having the mental strength to be doing so well!

In my personal ED experience any mention of being the 'wrong' weight can trigger my mind to go back to old pathways, your doctor is a silly ar*e for joking about it.

I recommend looking back at everyone who has posted here and take each one as a *hug* from a stranger.
    (I know that would give me strength, but admittedly I'm odd. :D )
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    dr. sounds like an a_ _... who needs to brush up on his sensitivity skills along with update his health/nutrition education. ditch him.
  • p_emmel5
    p_emmel5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I second the see a dietitian or nutritionist. Best thing I ever did. Doctors can usually fix you if you get broken, but they aren't typically trained in weight management and nutrition..... at least weight gain goals. I think it confuses some of them as it is totally bass ackwards from what they typicallt deal with. While I haven't battled an ED I know how hard it is to gain weight the right way. Been there doing that.

Good for you and keep working toward your goals .:flowerforyou:
  • stayfitsabrina
    Options
    hi do you know if you can still get results by getting thicker thighs using the same weights?
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Bad doctor.

Technically you should be eating anywhere from 3500-4000 in recovery. I was on a 3500 calorie diet for about 2 months and i wasn't underweight by very much(maybe a pound or two). The reasoning for that is because you've damaged your body- it needs calories to help heal itself, and that's why you're meant to eat so much.

Most doctors have little to no knowledge(correct knowledge) on dietary needs, so i'd suggest you find a dietician. If you can't afford one, or can't find one, then try the minnie maud way of recovering (http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2013/3/31/minniemaud-guidelines-for-recovery-from-a-restrictive-eating.html)

Feel free to add me or message me if you have any questions :smile:

Hats off to you for choosing recovery. :heart: :flowerforyou:

EDIT: i should mention that it's dangerous to go from a lower caloric intake to a much higher one, so be careful if you decide to up your calories. (refeeding syndrome)

Fantastic advice!! This is how my doctors helped me through my recovery. You should definitely look into finding a new doctor, at least for your recovery. Look for someone that understands EDs. During my recovery, I had a team of doctors (primary doctor, therapist and psychiatrist) and they all worked together to create the right plan and communicate the same thing. Might be something to look into. It was very effective for me.