Standing=Burning Calories???

emadigan
emadigan Posts: 89 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently read online that just standing (like a work) burns between 3-10 calories per minute (depending on your weight, etc.). At work, I stand for almost my entire shift (anywhere from 4 to 8 hours) and I will be starting an internship on Monday where I will be standing for about 5 hours every day. Therefore, the calories add up. Do you/would you count this into your exercise for the day?

Replies

• no.... don't count that towards your exercise calories, it would be classed as part of your BMR. the way you account for those calories being burned, would be to update your goals, and change your activity level/lifestyle. (believe thats what it called) from what you described, yours would be considered lightly active.
  • ctraill
    ctraill Posts: 89 Member
    Agreed, I wouldn't include it as exercise, just consider it a bonus!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    I count mine in. I am on my feet eight hours as a welder. I have two robots that need to go all night. Between the walking (almost jogging) , lifting, loading, unloading, bending, lugging and packing I burn about 324 calories in any given hour. Then I minus my breaks, start-up and shutdown times. I did a ped once to see how much I walk on shift and it came darn close to 10 miles.

Gosh no wonder I am sooo tired when I get home!:happy:
  • emadigan
    emadigan Posts: 89 Member
    I never considered standing as part of my BMR. In my bio class last year, my professor told us that BMR is calculated as if you did nothing but lay in bed all day. BMR is what it takes your body to run its processes to live. But ultimately, I followed the advice in changing my lifestyle from sedentary to lightly active and I'll just consider anything I burn at work as a surprise bonus.
This discussion has been closed.