Upgraded French Onion Soup

Options
13»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why the T of salt???

To make it more flavorful. Basically put, to bring out the full flavor of the dish.
    why_zpsc8b2aca1.gif
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Tagging the crap out of this!!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    It's not that it's not to people's taste, is the description of 'recipe'.

Here an example. Tonight I got home, whizzed up some aging tomatoes, thyme, oil, salt, pepper, Tabasco and garlic, shoved it in a pan to reduce, put two slices of (homemade) bread in the toaster, topped the bread with the tomato and some cheese and put under the grill. Fourteen minutes later, dinner was done.

I made it all by myself, apart from the cheese

But it's not a 'recipe'
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You need the salt because you are starting with canned soup whose only taste is salt.

If you think this is an upgrade on French Onion soup, I would love to make some soup for you. Seriously.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Ingredients:

1 can Progresso French Onion Soup
    1 can cut green beans(drain half the liquid out)
    1 tbsp salt, to taste

Directions:

1.) bring soup to a boil-takes three minutes. meanwhile, get the green beans ready to put into the soup.
    2.) take soup off burner and turn to low/simmer. put soup on cool burner(turned off is preferred), and then add the green beans and the green bean liquid. stir.
    3,) add 1 tbsp.of salt. stir.
    4.) put soup back onto the burner and let it heat up for about 30 seconds. then stir again and turn heat back up to boil and let it boil for two and a half minutes. then enjoy ur meal.

This is almost as good as the Vegetarian Kraft Mac & Cheese 'recipe' you psoted earlier. I might try this for dinner instead of my Vegetarian Grilled Cheese Sammich.

:bigsmile:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    THIS is French onion soup. Green beans would never 'upgrade' the toasted French bread and cheese baked on top. Sorry.

P63382612080903_5.jpg

Yeppers... and here's how to get there!

Original recipe makes 4 servings

4 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 large red onions, thinly sliced
    2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
    1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
    1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
    1/2 cup red wine
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 sprigs fresh parsley
    1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
    1 bay leaf
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    4 pinches paprika
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    4 thick slices French or Italian bread
    8 slices Gruyere or Swiss cheese slices, room temperature
    1/2 cup shredded Asiago or mozzarella cheese, room temperature

Directions

Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in salt, red onions and sweet onions. Cook 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.

Mix chicken broth, beef broth, red wine and Worcestershire sauce into pot. Bundle the parsley, thyme, and bay leaf with twine and place in pot. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard the herbs. Reduce the heat to low, mix in vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep over low heat to stay hot while you prepare the bread.

Preheat oven broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and broil 3 minutes, turning once, until well toasted on both sides. Remove from heat; do not turn off broiler.

Arrange 4 large oven safe bowls or crocks on a rimmed baking sheet. Fill each bowl 2/3 full with hot soup. Top each bowl with 1 slice toasted bread, 2 slice Gruyere cheese and 1/4 of the Asiago or mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle a little bit of paprika over the top of each one.

Broil 5 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. As it softens, the cheese will cascade over the sides of the crock and form a beautifully melted crusty seal. Serve immediately!

Yum! Marry me?
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I still like mine better. Doesn't make any difference if it's from a can or has green beans in it. It doesn't matter if it doesn't have cheese or bread in it. Of course I understand that everyone here has their own opinions.

There's a difference between opinion and scientific facts. You don't need to add a tablespoon of salt to any dish. Try a spice if you need flavor.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I cook my onions in the crockpot on low with 2 tbsp butter. I let them simmer all night. In the AM I take the lid off, turn it to high and leave them longer to let the liquid cook down and caramelize the onions really well (another hour or two).

Then I add 1 cup of sherry to the onions and scrape down the sides/bottom of the pot to stir it all up. Add low sodium beef broth, thyme, parsley, pepper, and bay leaf. Turn it back to low and let it simmer for 8 hours while I"m at work.

I don't float the bread on top. I put it on the bottom of the bowl and ladle the soup/onions on top of it.

I spread a slice of provolone and then sprinkle shredded gruyere on top of that. The provolone forms kind of a 'lid' to prevent the gruyere from sinking and the edges brown into delicious cheese noms against the bowl.

I rarely add salt to onion soup since the cheese and even low sodium beef broth have plenty of salt in them. I do taste it though before serving and if it needs add some (that has yet to happen).
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    So when was the last time you had your blood pressure checked?

Last month. It was normal. I get it checked again. And I bet u it's normal again.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    This recipe makes me want to chug a liter of water.
    Did you mean to write teaspoon instead of tablespoon? But even with a teaspoon, that is an entire daily allowance of salt for one day for the average adult.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    THIS is French onion soup. Green beans would never 'upgrade' the toasted French bread and cheese baked on top. Sorry.

P63382612080903_5.jpg

Yeppers... and here's how to get there!

Original recipe makes 4 servings

4 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 large red onions, thinly sliced
    2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
    1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
    1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
    1/2 cup red wine
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 sprigs fresh parsley
    1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
    1 bay leaf
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    4 pinches paprika
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    4 thick slices French or Italian bread
    8 slices Gruyere or Swiss cheese slices, room temperature
    1/2 cup shredded Asiago or mozzarella cheese, room temperature

Directions

Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in salt, red onions and sweet onions. Cook 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.

Mix chicken broth, beef broth, red wine and Worcestershire sauce into pot. Bundle the parsley, thyme, and bay leaf with twine and place in pot. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard the herbs. Reduce the heat to low, mix in vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep over low heat to stay hot while you prepare the bread.

Preheat oven broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and broil 3 minutes, turning once, until well toasted on both sides. Remove from heat; do not turn off broiler.

Arrange 4 large oven safe bowls or crocks on a rimmed baking sheet. Fill each bowl 2/3 full with hot soup. Top each bowl with 1 slice toasted bread, 2 slice Gruyere cheese and 1/4 of the Asiago or mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle a little bit of paprika over the top of each one.

Broil 5 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. As it softens, the cheese will cascade over the sides of the crock and form a beautifully melted crusty seal. Serve immediately!

I. want. this. NOW ! ! ! !
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Here's an upgraded French Onion soup.

15# veal bones
    4 qt. water

Roast bones in 500F oven until very dark, add to a soup pot, cover completely with water, add salt to taste. Simmer overnight. Skim as appropriate, remove bones and reduce to 2.25 quarts.

French onion soup:
    2# Yellow Onions
    1# Red Onions
    Olive oil (or butter, I prefer butter)
    1 btl burgundy wine
    1 T demiglace
    1 boquet garni
    Black pepper
    Salt
    Grated garlic
    2 dash maggi
    1 dash worcestershire sauce

Slice onions thinly, toss with a little oil and roast in the oven until dark. Add to broth, add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 3 hours.

Prepare croutons and grate gruyere. (To upgrade it my style, cut some medium cubes of foie gras, sear on two sides.

Take a soup crock, add in crouton and foie gras cubes, ladle soup into crock, cover with grated gruyere and broil it until browned and bubbly.

Eat it.