Anyone else gluten free?

Options
I'm new here and was just wondering how may people are gluten free? My daughter and I both have celiac disease. I can tolerate some gluten once in awhile but it makes me feel bloated and tired. We have a mostly gluten free house. I can't believe how much it has changed my kids behaviors. Wow! I've noticed that when they do have gluten they are more hyper and moody. Especially my daughter. She also has ADHD. We're still kinda new to the gluten free lifestyle, since June. But we have found that it's not a huge change from our regular diet. Mainly the pasta. We already eat alot of fresh fruit and veggies. My daughter is also a vegitarian at age 7. Scary.
So if anyone has any easy recipes, please share. We want to be a completely gluten free household.

Replies

• burtdesigns
    Options
    I am gluten free. I was tested for Celiac Disease and my blood showed that I didn't have it. I have been allergic to grass since birth however and I have reactions to wheat and many other flours like Chia, Corn, Rolled Oats, and many others. I have really seen a difference in my body when I avoid wheat and other grass flours and seeds.

I love young coconut and the juice from one is low in calories and very refreshing. The meat, however, is not...but it is also great! I make turkey meatballs with fresh garlic, spinach, eggs, and red peppers (no bread). I bake about 2 lbs and freeze them. They heat up in 2 mins and I know they are gluten/wheat free. Yum! (I know they aren't vegetarian but boy they are good!

You can do it!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have celiac as well. If you are a diagnosed celiac no small amt of gluten can be in your system b/c it still attacks your system whether you have a "symptom" or not.
    I am starting the SCD way of life. I read the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle and starting the Intro Phase. Its going to be hard core. You can find info for children at pecanbread.com
    I mess up ALL the time. Diagnosed for 7 yrs and never have reallt taken it seriously. I mean I ate somewhat OK but not what I should. so 2011 I will be revamping it all. I revamped all my body care so all my lotions, shampoos etc are all GF. I re read some books to freshen up and downloaded some apps for my phone so when I am out I can look up ingredients fast.
    Past Ideas:
    I LOVE anything by Udi's and Against the Grain. I wrap anything and everything in lettuce (its cheap and easy)
    Being vegetarian will be hard. Alot of vegetarian "foods" are made of processed wheats and grains. They have some out there that arent but you'll have to go online for that. You'll have to watch her soy consumption. Too much soy isnt good.
    Breakfast is normally eggs and salsa and laughing cow wedge
    Lunch: Salad with some sort of protein on it. fruit
    Snacks: cheese sticks, greek yogurt, nuts,
    dinner: veggies and a protein
    snacks: kept the south beach ideas, riccotta cheese, skinny cow bars,
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    We have a whole group of us that are gluten-free on MFP... come join us! :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/114512-gluten-free-girls-and-guys?page=10#posts-1976734

We share recipes, our favorite gluten-free products, ups and downs, and general chit-chat about being gluten-free. :flowerforyou:
  • sweetiekayk
    Options
    Coronalime******My daughter refuses to eat soy. Says it tastes gross. But I make sure she has plenty of protien in her diet. She loves rice cakes with peanut butter.

We have a great new meat market here that just opened a couple momnths ago. The owner has celiac disease so everything is gluten free. He makes awesome lunch meats and sausages and carries a huge variety of other foods. Expensive but worth it. Saves the headaches that come with reading labels and calling companies.

I'm in the process of getting all the gluten out of the house. I had stocked up on shampoos and lotions and such with double coupons and now I'm just giving them away. I don't mind paying extra for gluten free stuff. I break out so bad with I use something with gluten.