Recipes my husband would like

Options
Kayla2284
Kayla2284 Posts: 46 Member
My husband is a good ol country fella and he loves steak and potatoes and lots of flavor in his food. So far the healthy meals that I made him he said very plain. Does anyone have any ideas that would keep us both happy. Keeping in mind we have an active 9 month old going on 20 haha so time isnt something we have a lot of! :D

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    try some of Rocco's recipes, Now eat this I think. He's redone some of the best comfort food with minimal calories compared. The Chicken fried steak is really good. :)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    do u have a slow cooker?
  • Kayla2284
    Options
    Beth, do you know where I can find them ? And yes, we have a crockpot. I have cooked some things in there, but he said it was bland.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You should look at eatbetteramerica.com. We've tried quite a few of the recipes there and have loved them all!

As for your current recipes--try adding herbs and spices. Few or no calories--just stay away from any with salt (for example, use garlic or garlic powder, NOT garlic salt!).
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Smothered Steak Burgers

Sautéed mushrooms, steak sauce, and Worcestershire sauce create robust flavors in this knife-and-fork burger.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 burger)

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 (8-ounce) package presliced button mushrooms
    1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
    1 tablespoon low-sodium steak sauce (such as Angostura)
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 pound ground sirloin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    4 green leaf lettuce leaves
    4 (1/2-inch-thick) tomato slices
    4 (2-ounce) Kaiser rolls, toasted
    Preparation
    1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shallots and garlic to pan; cook 1 minute or until tender, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms to pan; cook 10 minutes or until moisture evaporates, stirring occasionally. Combine broth, steak sauce, and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove mushroom mixture from pan; cover and keep warm. Wipe pan with paper towels.

2. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add beef to bowl; toss gently to combine. Shape beef mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties; sprinkle evenly with salt.

3. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan; cook 4 minutes. Turn and cook 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Place 1 lettuce leaf and 1 tomato slice on the bottom half of each roll. Top each serving with 1 patty, about 1/4 cup mushroom mixture, and top half of roll.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    398 (0.0% from fat)
    Fat:
    12.9g (sat 4.4g,mono 5.1g,poly 1.4g)
    Protein:
    30.7g
    Carbohydrate:
    38.4g
    Fiber:
    1.9g
    Cholesterol:
    41mg
    Iron:
    4.9mg
    Sodium:
    747mg
    Calcium:
    79mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Pan-fried chicken

Pan-fried chicken pairs well with a side of mashed potatoes and green beans. Cook the chicken in heart-healthy peanut oil for added flavor.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half or 1 thigh and 1 drumstick)

Ingredients
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
    2 bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned
    2 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
    2 chicken drumsticks, skinned
    1/4 cup peanut oil
    Preparation
    1. Sift together first 6 ingredients; place mixture in a large zip-top plastic bag. Sprinkle salt evenly over chicken. Add chicken, one piece at a time, to bag; seal. Shake bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour. Place chicken on a cooling rack; place rack in a jelly-roll pan. Reserve remaining flour mixture. Loosely cover chicken; chill 1 1/2 hours. Let chicken stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Return chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Discard excess flour mixture.

2. Heat peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 25 minutes or until done, carefully turning every 5 minutes.

3. Line a clean cooling rack with brown paper bags; arrange chicken in a single layer on bags. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Kitchen Notes
    The key to success with this recipe is even heat. If the oil gets too hot, the chicken may brown too quickly before fully cooking. You can lower the heat, or brown the chicken on the stovetop and then cook in a 350° oven until done. If the oil is not hot enough, the chicken will absorb too much of it. Omit spices in the breading, if you prefer.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    Fat:
    10.1g (sat 2g,mono 4.1g,poly 3g)
    Protein:
    28.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    9g
    Fiber:
    0.8g
    Cholesterol:
    87mg
    Iron:
    1.8mg
    Sodium:
    240mg
    Calcium:
    17mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Beer-Battered Onion Rings

Impress your family with homemade onion rings that taste just as good as the ones from the local diner. See our full collection for more fried favorites.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 4 onion rings and 1 tablespoon ketchup)

Ingredients
    2 large onions, peeled (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/3 cup flat beer
    1 large egg white, lightly beaten
    1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
    Cooking spray
    1/4 cup ketchup
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 400°.

Cut the onion crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices, and separate into rings. Use 16 of the largest rings; reserve remaining onion for another use. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, salt, paprika, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in beer and egg white (batter will be thick). Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dip 5 onion rings in batter, letting excess drip off. Add onion rings to pan; cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Place the onion rings on a jelly-roll pan. Repeat procedure of dipping onion rings in batter and cooking in remaining oil, ending with 6 rings. Coat the onion rings with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until crisp. Serve rings with ketchup.

Kitchen Notes
    Unless for some unknown reason you have an open can of beer in your refrigerator, try this simple way to flatten the suds you need for this batter. Measure 1/2 cup beer in a small bowl, and stir with a fork. You're left with about 1/3 cup flat beer.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    209 (25% from fat)
    Fat:
    5.8g (sat 1g,mono 1.6g,poly 2.7g)
    Protein:
    5.1g
    Carbohydrate:
    34.1g
    Fiber:
    3.7g
    Cholesterol:
    0.0mg
    Iron:
    1.5mg
    Sodium:
    490mg
    Calcium:
    39mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Simply Great Steak with Grilled Fries

A superior steak for grilling needs to be an inch or more thick to provide the right combination of seared surface and juicy interior. Keep the smaller, more tender tip of the steak angled away from the hottest part of the fire to prevent it from cooking too quickly. To test for doneness, cut into the steak with the tip of a knife and peek, or insert an instant-read thermometer into the side of the steak--medium rare will register 145°. If you have a large enough grill, start grilling the potatoes with the steak so everything will be done at the same time. Otherwise, tent the beef with foil to keep it warm.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3 ounces beef and 8 fries)

Ingredients
    Steak:
    1 (2-pound) porterhouse steak (about 1 1/2 inches thick)
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
    1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    Cooking spray
    1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened
    Fries:
    1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    2 medium baking potatoes, each cut into 12 wedges (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    2 medium sweet potatoes, each cut into 12 wedges (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    Preparation
    To prepare steak, coat porterhouse steak with Worcestershire. Cover and marinate steak in refrigerator 30 minutes, turning occasionally.

Prepare grill with one side on medium heat and one side on high heat.

Remove steak from Worcestershire; discard Worcestershire. Sprinkle steak with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Place steak on grill rack coated with cooking spray over high heat; grill 3 minutes on each side. Turn steak and place over medium heat; grill 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Place steak on a platter. Rub butter over top of steak; let stand 10 minutes.

To prepare fries, combine 1 teaspoon salt, paprika, 1 teaspoon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. Combine oil and potatoes in a large bowl, tossing to coat. Sprinkle potatoes with paprika mixture; toss gently to coat.

Place potatoes on grill rack coated with cooking spray over medium heat; grill 18 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender, turning occasionally. Remove sweet potatoes; keep warm. Grill baking potatoes an additional 6 minutes or until tender.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    446 (29% from fat)
    Fat:
    14.6g (sat 5.1g,mono 6.6g,poly 0.7g)
    Protein:
    33.1g
    Carbohydrate:
    45g
    Fiber:
    5.5g
    Cholesterol:
    79mg
    Iron:
    6.6mg
    Sodium:
    898mg
    Calcium:
    47mg
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Beth, do you know where I can find them ? And yes, we have a crockpot. I have cooked some things in there, but he said it was bland.

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/02/in-now-eat-this-chef-rocco-dispirito-makes-over-americas-favorite-comfort-foods/

Hope this helps
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    search the message boards here for an ingredient you want to work with - chicken, beef, venison (I use it because we get it free from family/friends that are hunters and it is super lean), squash, spinach, etc; or type of meal - crock pot, soup, chili, etc and you're sure to find great recipes and reviews from other users!
  • marshabailey2010
    Options
    My family likes the weight watchers cabbage soup, but i add grilled chicken and black beans for extra protein and the soup has very little calories or fat. My co-workers love it too, even the skinny ones lol
  • angel79202
    Options
    Salsa Chicken

Ingredients

1 lb chicken breasts (fresh or frozen)
    1 jar salsa (I used a 16 oz)
    low fat shredded mexican cheese
    Tostitos Baked Scoops
    Low Fat Sour Cream

Directions
    Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray
    Place the chicken breasts in the crockpot.
    Pour jar of salsa over the chicken.
    Toward the end sprinkle some cheese on top
    Cook on low for 8 hours

I serve is with a little low fat sour cream and scoops on the side

Number of Servings: 4

I served mine topped with a little low fat sour cream and Low fat Tostitos Scoops :-)
  • angel79202
    Options
    Crock Pot Taco Soup

SERVES 8 -10

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans

* 1 (16 ounce) can white beans or kidney beans

* 1 (11 ounce) can niblet corn

* 1 (11 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies (I used mild)

* 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes

* 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (I omitted these)

* 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix

* 1 (1 ounce) envelope hidden valley ranch dressing mix
    * 1 lb lean ground beef

Directions

Cook meat and drain.

Add all ingredients to crock pot.

DO NOT DRAIN CANS.

Stir.

Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.

Keep on low until serving to keep hot.

Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped green onions, or tortilla chips.
  • angel79202
    Options
    Bubble Up Pizza Casserole

· 1 pound lean ground beef
    · 1/4 pound sliced pepperoni sausage
    · 1 (14 ounce) can pizza sauce
    · 2 (12 ounce) packages refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough (I use low fat)
    · 1/2 onion, sliced and separated into rings (I omit)
    · 1 (10 ounce) can sliced black olives (I omit)
    · 1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
    · 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (low fat)
    · 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (Low Fat)
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Stir in pepperoni, and cook until browned. Drain excess fat. Stir in pizza sauce. Remove from heat, and set aside.
    2. Cut biscuits into quarters, and place in the bottom of baking dish. Spread meat mixture evenly over the biscuits. Sprinkle top with onion, olives and mushrooms.
    3. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle top with mozzarella and Cheddar cheese. Bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
  • angel79202
    Options
    Crockpot Pizza Casserole

Ingredients

* 1 pound Lean ground meat browned and drained
    * 3 ounces Turkey Pepperoni
    * 1 can Fat free Cream of Mushroom soup undiluted
    * 1 large Onion chopped
    * 12 ounces Shredded parmesan cheese
    * 1 box Rigatoni pasta cooked and drained
    * 2- 14 ounce Pizza or Spaghetti sauce

Instructions

Mix together in bowl or skillet that was used to brown the meat:

Ground meat

Onion

Pizza or spaghetti sauce

Layer in 3.5 quart crockpot: in the order given:

Half of the meat mixture

Half of the cooked pasta

Half a can of the soup

6 ounces of cheese

Half of the pepperoni slices

Top with any other ingredients you like such as mushrooms, olives, etc.

Repeat layers.

Cook on low heat for 4 hours and serve with your favorite bread and a salad.
  • angel79202
    Options
    Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 large onion, chopped (1 cup) (I omit)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
    1/2 cup lowfat Bisquick® mix
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs

Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.
    In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in salt. Spread in pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese.
    In small bowl, stir remaining ingredients with fork or wire whisk until blended. Pour into pie plate.
    Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
  • angel79202
    Options
    Crockpot Lasagna
    Ingredients:
    · 1 lb. lean ground beef
    · 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
    · 1 large jar spaghetti sauce (such as Ragu in the 1 lb. 10 ounce jar)
    · 1 package (8 ounces) no-boil lasagna noodles
    · 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (low fat- 2%)
    · 1 lb. ricotta cheese (low fat)
    · 1/4 cup milk (skim)
    · 1 egg
    · 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan/Romano cheese
    · Salt and pepper to taste
    Preparation:
    Brown the beef, onion, and garlic in a little oil in a frying pan. Drain off any grease.
    Add the spaghetti sauce into the browned meat mixture. Mix well.
    In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, milk, and egg. Beat until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Then mix in the mozzarella cheese and the grated cheese, so that all the cheeses are combined.
    Grease the slow cooker/Crock Pot with some vegetable shortening on the bottom and sides.
    Put about 1/4 of the meat and sauce mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker/Crock Pot. Put a layer of noodles on top of that (break or cut them if needed). Put about 1/3 of the cheese mixture on top of that. Then repeat with sauce, noodles, cheese for another 2 layers. Top with meat sauce. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until noodles are tender.
  • angel79202
    Options
    Nacho Cheese Chicken Chowder

Cook: 4 to 5 hours (low) or 2 to 2-1/2 hours (high)

Ingredients
    · 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    · 2 14.5-oz. cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
    · 1 10.75-oz. can condensed nacho cheese soup
    · 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen whole kernel corn (2 cups)
    · Shredded Mexican-style or cheddar cheese
    Directions
    1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, stir together chicken, undrained tomatoes, soup, and corn.
    2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Makes 6 servings.
    Nutrition Facts
    · Calories 244,
    · Total Fat (g) 6,
    · Saturated Fat (g) 3,
    · Monounsaturated Fat (g) 0,
    · Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 0,
    · Cholesterol (mg) 55,
    · Sodium (mg) 647,
    · Carbohydrate (g) 24,
    · Total Sugar (g) 7,
    · Fiber (g) 2,
    · Protein (g) 23,
    · Vitamin C (DV%) 8,
    · Calcium (DV%) 12,
    · Iron (DV%) 6,
    · Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
  • angel79202
    Options
    Slow-Cooker Chunky Chicken Chili

1 can (15 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
    1 can (15 oz.) light red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
    1-1/2 cups Mild Salsa
    1 can (16 oz.) no-salt-added tomato sauce
    2 Tbsp. Chili powder
    1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
    1 Onion, chopped (I omitted)
    1 cup Frozen corn
    1 cup KRAFT Mexican Style Finely Shredded Four Cheese

COMBINE beans, salsa, tomato sauce and chili powder in slow cooker. Top with chicken, onions and corn. (Do not stir.) Cover with lid.
    COOK on LOW 6 to 8 hours (or on HIGH 4 to 5 hours).
    STIR just before serving. Serve topped with cheese.
  • Kayla2284
    Options
    oh my goodness! thank you all so much! i am going to save this and go over it with him see if anything catches his eye!