MFP calculating calories incorrectly???

Options
I went to add an item and it says calories are 238 but the kj on can is 444kj, this seems far too high calories for that amount of kj? The item is sealord tuna stir thru 95g red curry flavour. Do I convert calories or keep it as 238? Thanks

Replies

• MuscleHeadNerd74
    MuscleHeadNerd74 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    well If it's not in the system you can also add it in maually, by creating it and you can then add in the cals, protein, carbs, fat, serving yourself
  • disturbed_s
    disturbed_s Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hmm it is in the system but I'll add it in manually instead, thanks
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Some of the entries are incorrect, you can add it yourself or sometimes there is more than one entry for the food and one of them might be correct
  • becad83
    becad83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah never count on the entries in MFP. Always check your product then re-add item if need be :)
  • MuscleHeadNerd74
    MuscleHeadNerd74 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Some of the entries are incorrect, you can add it yourself or sometimes there is more than one entry for the food and one of them might be correct

this is very true so you have to make sure you have the correct one by cross checking the data
  • serafinelaveaux
    serafinelaveaux Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's even more fun if it's something that doesn't come in a can or a box. Depending on which entry you're looking at, an 8 oz pork shoulder steak can run anywhere from 233 to 611 calories. I do a lot of chicken quarters (leg/thigh) on the grill and the same weight pulls up entries listing it anywhere from 300 to 900+ calories.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I don't think kilojules are the same as calories... maybe that's why there's a huge difference in the numbers...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I don't think kilojules are the same as calories... maybe that's why there's a huge difference in the numbers...
    This is what I was going to say. I believe KJ are double the calorie number (for same energy consumption).
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Found this on differencebetween.com/difference-between-calories-and-vs-kilojoules/

4.184 kilojoules = 4,184 joules = 1 Calorie = 1 kilocalorie = 1,000 calories