Help with Blisters?

emmaleigh47
emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I posted this about a week ago, but now I have a different question...
I have been struggling with blisters as of late ...
I have not changed shoes (but my shoes are new enough)
I wear only Baleuga socks ... and the only other thing I have changed is I am running more distances
(just did 13.1 yesterday, woo hoo)!

Yesterday the original blister only reoccured a small amount... but I got a huge blister on the outside of my L foot (to match the one on the inside)

A couple of people had mentioned to try 2 pairs of socks... I am seriously considering this, but wouldnt this increase the friction.
I have tried moleskin to pad it, but it almost seems to make it worse as well...

Help ...these stupid blisters are ruining my ability to run!!

Replies

• a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    i understand your pain!! i was plagued for a long time by ridiculous blisters...two things helped me: new breathable socks (though it sounds like you wear good ones) and band-aid no rub (dr. scholls makes some too)...made a world of difference for me :) best of luck and congrats on your long run!!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,342 Member
    With moleskin, are you cutting out a hole for the blister? I've tried both ways, don't remember which works better, but which ever one you tried, try the other.

And, yeah, the two socks thing seems to make it worse for me. Maybe orthodics - or even the cheap foam inserts. I used them when I had shoes that didn't quite hit me in the right places when I ran.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    You may have lost fat from your feet which would make your shoes looser. I noticed this happened to me and I got a blister on the ball of my foot while using the arc trainer.
  • emmaleigh47
    I have special insoles for my shoes because I have a very high arches.
    I have not tried cutting out a hole for the blister - wouldnt that defeat the purpose?
    Perhaps I lost foot weight... but they arent small enough to go down a size...
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
    I am not familiar with that brand of sock and I was not able to see what they were made of the company website, but a sock the is made of coolmax is going to be best. You can lube your feet with a blister stick (band-aid makes one) or get something at your local running store. I got blisters when i first started to run and I put those blister band-aids on them and that helped me keep them protected.
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    I got blisters when I was tarining for the half marathon last fall. First, I bought double layer cool max running socks (I bought wrightsocks, but there are lots of brands) - even now, I get blisters if I run im my cotton socks. Also, I went to a running specialty store and got fitted for running shoes. I was running in cross-trainers before. They put me on a treadmill and watched my footfall and gave me shoes that minimized the friction on my foot.

If you've already done both of those, then I have no further suggestions. After a while, you do get callouses and stop getting blisters, but it takes a while.

HTH and good luck!
  • cmriverside
    I have special insoles for my shoes because I have a very high arches.
    I have not tried cutting out a hole for the blister - wouldnt that defeat the purpose?
    Perhaps I lost foot weight... but they arent small enough to go down a size...

Well, you would think the cutting holes wouldn't work. but it's like a hemorroid pillow:laugh:

And I lost a whole shoe size when I lost 50 pounds. I think your feet aren't getting smushed out as much.

But you definitely need a properly fitted shoe. From a running shoe store. Like a specialty store. If you bought your shoes at Foot Locker or Macy's or something, that is probably your problem. It makes a huge difference to get properly fitted with running shoes at a running store. Save yourself many injuries and do that if you haven't already..and also like the previous poster said, Coolmax. I've used them for so many years, I didn't even think about them.
  • emmaleigh47
    Well, you would think the cutting holes wouldn't work. but it's like a hemorroid pillow:laugh:
    And I lost a whole shoe size when I lost 50 pounds. I think your feet aren't getting smushed out as much.

But you definitely need a properly fitted shoe. From a running shoe store. Like a specialty store. If you bought your shoes at Foot Locker or Macy's or something, that is probably your problem. It makes a huge difference to get properly fitted with running shoes at a running store. Save yourself many injuries and do that if you haven't already..

See but this is what drives me nuts... I am on my second pair of shoes. Both fitted from the running shoe store in town. Both times I actually came out with the same pair of shoes fitted by two different people. My last pair of shoes was bought in October, so they cant be worn out yet.

I will have to try the "little hemorrhoid pillow." LOL!

I just keep waiting for my feet to get used to it... Its just annoying because from June - November no blisters... and now since I started increasing the distance I am dealing with them all the time.
  • cmriverside
    Well, like agibonsky said, you will get calluses.:ohwell: ...hang in. Running is often pushing through the pain.
This discussion has been closed.