Any one done 30 day shred and thought NOPE!

Options
Hi all, I started 30 day shred yesterday, I was all optimistic and had planned to do it as a daily thing so I knew I was getting some exercise in.
The thing is, since finishing it (and during) I've been in absolute agony, my legs shake if I use them, my knees keep giving way and I've even fallen down because of this.
The idea behind doing it was so I could get fitter and tone up a little bit, but, it's been 24 hrs, I still can't walk downstairs or downhill, I can't pick up my daughter and I've been freezing since finishing it, like literally I cannot warm up.

The things that's bugging me the most is that I'm frightened to do it again, and this makes me feel like I'm using excuses to get out of doing it, and this makes me feel even worse because I want to get healthier and exersise more...

I'm trying for a baby and it just so happens to be the 'right' time to do it TODAY and well, trust me, there'll be no dancing tonight!
And this makes me feel even worse than anything.
So, has anyone else thought, nope, this is not for me. ?
If so what did you do instead? How did it make you feel not being able to do it?

Replies

• markrichtsspraytan
    Options
    I was in a lot of pain (the good kind, meaning I had a good workout) after I did it for the first time, but I found that I started doing it every other day and working up to daily worked for me.

The feeling like your freezing thing sounds like you're sick though.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I started it a couple of times but never actually did a full 30 days. More out of laziness than pain.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaha....you poor thing! I feel for you..... :flowerforyou:

As a matter of fact, I've done most of Jillian's programs, and there's been cursing and griping all through the house......lol
    Don't give up. It's not a competition with the girls in the video. Nobody will ever know if you go slower, or if you drop the weights for some of the exercises.
    I didn't like the 30 DS workout at first, because 1 minute of the strength circuit is a LOOOOOONG time to curl dumbbells.... On day 4 the pain in my biceps was gone, by day 7, I had doubled my pushups.... It WILL get better!

Good luck!
  • fayelobeck89
    fayelobeck89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Deffo not poorly, other than the pain and the cold I'm fine. I don't know of it's because I'm normally on the go all day everyday and since finishing I've been unable to do most of the other things I normally do so not getting up and about as mucho.

Thanks for your reply though, I thought about maybe doing it every other day but I don't know if I can.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I started like 2x and I was dyingggg. I was so out of shape, it was terrible. Could barely walk, so painful. I stopped after the 1st week but I'd encourage you to keep going. I really wish I had. What I know now, is that it gets better, and you'll find that while doing the workout is the best you'll feel for the day. Just push through, don't let your fear make your decision for you. If you really don't like it then do something else, but don't stop.
  • fayelobeck89
    Options
    Am I better off doing it again and working through the pain?
    I don't know if that's safe, or good for you. Novice exerciser alert!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

Differentiate between pain and soreness. If you truly feel like you are going to injure yourself them you might want to cool it. If you are sore, try to stretch a bit more. My first day after starting kickboxing I couldn't move properly for 4 days. Now I'm good.
  • luvmydawgs
    luvmydawgs Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Don't stop! You will be amazed at your body in a week!
  • clairelily17
    clairelily17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First thing I thought is are you eating enough? It is a hard workout but I am by no means fit and I managed it daily for a few weeks. Yes my muscles were sore but it was good sore. The issue for me was that I knackered my knee with the squats. The feeling cold and shivery if not due to sickness could well be due to your body conserving energy, make sure your nutrition is good and that you are allowing for the extra calories used in the workout and give it another go. Take it easy, Jillian can't see you! Good luck!
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Those 30 day programs are really extreme and limited time programs. They are meant to be a quick fix, and by no means a lifestyle. The meal plans that go with them are very strict, in order to make this work, and if you are looking into making this healthy for yourself and your family, then you might be better off with something else.

Check out her program:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

She gives very detailed information about exercise and nutrition, definitely suitable for beginners, and she is a mom, too. Don't worry about the workouts, most of it can be modified and done at home. You just have to get creative.

Have fun!
  • ahbooker
    ahbooker Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Differentiate between pain and soreness. If you truly feel like you are going to injure yourself them you might want to cool it. If you are sore, try to stretch a bit more. My first day after starting kickboxing I couldn't move properly for 4 days. Now I'm good.

This^

You can injure yourself if you've got bad form. I have to stick to low impact (over 50, wonky knee).....this is a low impact circuit workout I like.....perhaps you can use this to lean form and build up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0C8awjNIQ
  • fayelobeck89
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Still struggling with the idea of it. I used to use the gym and I've done various different classes. At the time I was working a physically demandin job so I just got muscle soreness but this is actual pain lol, I literally did not expect to feel so beat by it considering I walk everywhere and normally do more than two miles each time so for it to be all in my legs makes no sense to me lol
  • 86sooner
    86sooner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!!
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's definitely worth doing. If you feel like the workout is too strenuous, start it without weights, and don't go so deep into the squats and lunges. March in place if you can't keep up. Make it the 60 day shred instead of the 30 day shred. Jillian is right when she says you aren't going to make any changes if you don't get out of your comfort zone, but it is okay to go at your own pace. If you stay with it, you'll see an increase in your endurance in a week or so. Don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • fayelobeck89
    Options
    Thanks all but I've decided it's not for me.
    I've never felt worse after a workout ever, for the moment
    I have to be a mum first and healthy, skinny person second, maybe even 3rd. I'll stick to my eating and calories counting but
    I'm staying away from the workout dvd's, I'm not feeling like this. I can't cope x
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Whenever you start a new workout, you should always do it the first couple of times following the modifier, and not using weights so you can get the form right. If you go full out the first time, yeah you are probably going to feel like crap for a few days, and may hurt yourself.

Also Jillian's workouts are pretty intense. There are thousands of workouts on DVDs. Don't give up on all of them because you didn't like one. Find something less strenuous and start with that. You can't let one bad experience stop you from exercising, just like you can't let one bad meal ruin your whole eating plan.
  • becclesbecca
    becclesbecca Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am very fit (have done Insanity all the way through) but I get pain after 30 day shred. I have decided that it is because the warm up just isn't good enough for the intensity. I would recommend warming up and stretching more (using some other DVD or just some progressive cardio) before you start.
  • christashay
    christashay Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've started it a few times- quit after a few days. Not because I couldn't hang w/it though. I've done 4 rounds of P90X, a P90X/Insanity hybrid, a full round of Insanity and X3 twice. But I agree w/ the poster above- not enough warm up/stretch time. My daughter injured her knee badly doing 30DS. Plus, Jillian's personality is so offputting to me, not to mention the monotony of the program. I'll stick to my Beachbody trainers and highly recommend the programs to everyone! (Nope, not a coach! Lol)
  • drmartz55
    drmartz55 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am on day 22- started at level 1 for 10 days, moved onto level 2 & did it for 10 days, now on level 3 (2nd day) It is the toughest,quickest workout I've ever done but totally worth it IMO. If it's too hard, take 5 seconds to catch your breath as Jillian suggests throughout the workout and also do the modified or beginner moves when you need to. My knees were aching the first week but now they no longer hurt. It takes time to build up endurance, fitness- don't give up before you start getting results. 6 months ago, I would have given up after the first day of pain- now I am determined to make it through!