Are Protein Shakes Good to drink?

Pinomami89
Pinomami89 Posts: 73 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Hello everyone I was just wondering are protein shakes good to drink?Because I seen everyone drink some and I wonder will it help with weight loss if I workout 6 days a week and for a hour?I know there are all kinds of drinks too!But can I know please what are the good ones I love strawberries if that help.....I need advice Thank You if you help me out :)

Replies

• MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    I drink Muscle Milk vanilla creme ready to drink. I also like their vanilla or strawberry milkshake powders. I mix it with 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup frozen strawberries. I don't really like the powder mixed with water. Plus, I figure the milk is good for the calcium. :-) It's like drinking a milkshake. They do take some getting used to though. I love them! I use them after my workouts to help rebuild my muscles.
  • See post below .. oops
  • Generally Protein Shakes are meant to boost protein and help build muscle. Most are for weight gain, rather than loss.
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    My opinion? Just eat healthy and drink water.
    For what it's worth.....about 2 cents probably :-)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    The only way they'll really help you lose weight is if you use it as a meal replacement. Otherwise you're adding almost 400 calories (depending on the brand and what you mix it with) to your diet. If you have trouble getting enough protein or eating all of your calories they can be good.

I use Bluebonnet soy protein powder in Natural Chocolate Truffle. It's the only shake I've found that doesn't use artificial sweeteners that actually tastes good. When I use it to replace breakfast I mix one scoop with 2 cups of milk. It's around 350 calories and keeps me full until lunch.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    They are a great supplement. They are high calorie though...but that's one of the reasons I drink them. I use Vega (vegan protein) and it's for protein and cals that I need it. I am trying to put on weight in a healthy way. Do your research before you buy any.
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    I use a mix that gives me a 240 calorie protein shake. I use it as my breakfast most days. I like it because I get high quality whey protein and it's fast and easy. It's also loaded with other good nutrition.
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    yeah i think that they are good...i have used them after a work out for muscle growth and also because i often struggle to get my protein levels up. they keep you full to. i wouldnt recommend having them more than once a day as i dont see this as a healthy option to losing weight.:bigsmile:
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    I have to advise upon drinkin the muscle milk cream... It contains alot of saturated fat and trans fat, which are both really bad for you. I've drank whey protein before which tastes really nasty. However, I will be goin back to drinkin it only because I am lookin to not add on weight but to get more muscle mass. I want definition in my muscles. I will be doin alot of extra cardio to help prevent the weight gain however I will also be increasin my weight trainin. It all depends upon what you are lookin for. Honestly, if you check out GNC.com you can find protein shake mixes for lean muscle mass. They also have the "flavored" water packets which contain about 10grams of protein. It's not cheap but it's worth it. Just somethin to consider. Hopefully I am of help. Also, if you do consider a protein powder whey protein has had the highest recommendations.... But like I said it tastes nasty. I am thinkin bout mixin it with my food or something just to cover up the taste. It's tollerable but you gotta chug it. Plus, alot of ppl will recommend shakeology, I've never tried it but if you can afford it go for it. It cost bout $120 a month. I got bills to pay, I'd rather chug whey protein then to shove out money for a high name brand protein weightloss product.
  • Pinomami89
    Pinomami89 Posts: 73 Member
    Thank you everyone ya'll gave me good advice and i think ima stick to water lol or fruit shakes lol with ice cubes lol :) I learned alot about it from just asking a ? and yall are a BIG HELP THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE :)
This discussion has been closed.