Is it just me????

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Well, I did learn how to make a mean turkey sandwich today so....there's that.

Step 1: Get a mean turkey...
    :wink:

funny-turkey-fight.gif
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    As others have said it's definitely not new. The fads have changed and the advice had changed, but if you run a search for any of these buzzwords you'll find some real gems from the old days. Every once in a while some old post from 2011 gets bumped asking about 30 day water fasts or some old snake oil pill. It's always been here and it's not going to go away anytime soon. You just have to decide how you want to interact with it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Just wait until January.

LoL, I started in January and most of the friends I made then are long gone :)

You were one of my first friends here and we are both still going strong. Here's to us! :drinker:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I guess I must have been filtering more when I first started because I don't remember so many of the elimination and goofy diet threads. Time to turn those filters back on and remember that my job is to get myself healthy, not to correct every ill conceived diet idea out there.

Wait until January, huh? Sounds like it should be fun.

There was a ramp up of "kickstarting" and cleanse threads in December this year, so it may not be much longer.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I guess I must have been filtering more when I first started because I don't remember so many of the elimination and goofy diet threads. Time to turn those filters back on and remember that my job is to get myself healthy, not to correct every ill conceived diet idea out there.

Wait until January, huh? Sounds like it should be fun.

I speaks well of you that you care. I spent most of my first 12 months lurking on threads and the thing that made the biggest impression on me was how tightly people cling to their notions. You can try to point people in the general direction of common sense; reasonable people will give you due consideration, but don't burn too many cycles arguing with the others.

One and done - it's why my post count is so low.

Edited for grammar... another contributing factor to the low post count
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    It is annoying, but then I sit back and remember all the dumb things I've done in my life. I tend to be more forgiving of people who are young and stupid. My completely arbitrary rule is that if you're 30 or older, you have been alive long enough to know that drinking nothing but water for a week (or swallowing a "magic pill", or using shake weights, or drinking unicorn piss, etc, etc) is not "the answer" to losing weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Just wait until January.

x100000000000000000000000000
  • shexy16
    Options
    I think there's always going to be fad diets, and people that insist they lose tons of weight by just eating grapefruit or fish or whatever...it works for them for a few weeks so they believe that it should work for everyone and we should all follow their lead and become skinny like them. Then, sadly, they eat normally again and all the weight comes back. Ooops.
  • maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just wait until January.

LoL, I started in January and most of the friends I made then are long gone :)

You were one of my first friends here and we are both still going strong. Here's to us! :drinker:

Let's splurge and make it a glass of wine :)
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It is annoying, but then I sit back and remember all the dumb things I've done in my life. I tend to be more forgiving of people who are young and stupid. My completely arbitrary rule is that if you're 30 or older, you have been alive long enough to know that drinking nothing but water for a week (or swallowing a "magic pill", or using shake weights, or drinking unicorn piss, etc, etc) is not "the answer" to losing weight.

Unicorn piss is highly underrated.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    There does seem to have been a recent uptick in forum posts with questionable topics. I wonder if some of it is associated with school starting in the fall?

But perspective is helpful. 2-3 years ago there appear to have been many such threads where no voice of sanity was heard--someone would post about a cleanse or a diet pill, others would "bump, wondering myself", and others would chime in about how great said technique is.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    No it's not you, it's been that way since I started. You get alot of 18 yr olds that want to diet fast, or have an ED. The veterans step in and try to educate them. Then the "MFP is so mean!" threads start. This just cycles into eternity. I admire the patience some have (up to a point, there are OPs that would try a saint) and the knowlege on here---I have learned so much. Sometimes you just need to help someone get back on track, or give someone a good idea. There are people on here that really know their stuff, and after awhile you know who has real information, and who just needs attention. Sit back and enjoy the ride. :smile:
  • Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think that common sense is going the way of the Dodo bird, sadly. No one wants to take a long time losing the weight it took a long time to gain, so they are all looking for a quick fix. It doesn't work that way.

my husband tells me that everyday. you didn't gain this weight overnight! but I sure don't want it to take 10 years to lose it! LOL!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Pay it forward and help a few you deem worthy.

Ignore most.

Feed off the ignorance and use it as further motivation to educate yourself.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Start stocking up on gifs now. The longer you're on the forums, the more you'll stop posting helpful,useful info and just throw out cat gifs.

tumblr_mtsxy6YGTp1sj3oxho1_400.gif

OMG I love this gif. I want to get my cats to do this!
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Take a look around here and consider the source(s).
    Appears to be mostly BS to me.
    The calorie counter and tracker is a good tool...thats about it.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    No it's not you, it's been that way since I started. You get alot of 18 yr olds that want to diet fast, or have an ED. The veterans step in and try to educate them. Then the "MFP is so mean!" threads start. This just cycles into eternity. I admire the patience some have (up to a point, there are OPs that would try a saint) and the knowlege on here---I have learned so much. Sometimes you just need to help someone get back on track, or give someone a good idea. There are people on here that really know their stuff, and after awhile you know who has real information, and who just needs attention. Sit back and enjoy the ride. :smile:

Heck you're lucky if they're 18. I've lost track of the number of people that have friended me (I used to accept everyone) who start posting and you find out they're 14, 15, etc. So many kids who think that 100 pounds means they're fat and think that eating 800 cals/day is the way to go.

I'm glad for the people that have the patience to try and educate them. Because sometimes mine wears thin.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    OP, common sense left the building back in the 70's, and maybe even earlier than that.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with time of the year when you see the derp rising in the forums.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Heck you're lucky if they're 18. I've lost track of the number of people that have friended me (I used to accept everyone) who start posting and you find out they're 14, 15, etc. So many kids who think that 100 pounds means they're fat and think that eating 800 cals/day is the way to go.

I'm glad for the people that have the patience to try and educate them. Because sometimes mine wears thin.

YEAh, New day, it's frakking crazy in here.