Ever have one of those days?

Options
I'm fighting with my scale a lot lately, and my mirror, and my tape measure, so I thought it might be wise to take a trip in the wayback machine and see how far I've managed to come. Back in highschool I wasn't Fat per say...but I wasn't slender. Always with an abundance of T&A that really I didn't want. I grew up on a farm, throwing hay bales, wrestling with animals, shoveling ungodly substances etc. I didn't watch what I ate, but didn't need to because of the magic of teenage metabolism and all the work I was doing. I was about a size 10/12 when I went to college, and I've no idea what my weight was because we didn't have a scale for humans.

College came and I stopped wrestling animals and haven't spent a day working on a farm since 2000. Moved to the city, flunked out of school, worked retail, walked everywhere. Metabolism slowed down as it does, appetite did not. Add in problems with stress and depression and a couple of years living in a suburb and having to drive everywhere....I wasn't no size 10/12 any more.

It really hit home when I went into David's Bridal (know for being big girl friendly) and they couldn't find a dress in the store that would zip. Everything had to be clipped into place, nothing looked right, and between my lack of height (5'1), and weird proportions (ever seen an overweight hourglass?) the whole experience was so many layers of awful it was ridiculous.

I ended up making my own wedding dress rather than deal with that again.
481233e8-c87f-4cbd-98c3-d6ff96e44104_zps1e0dd502.jpg
As you can see it worked out anyways, but I was not a skinny bride on my wedding day.

Here I was on my honeymoon...
d96fc477-d7e7-4da4-b272-68a1b1fe83ea_zps27f12170.jpg

And then I started getting fit. The first time I weighed myself in ages I was at 202. That is the picture on the left, and after already having lost some weight. I was probably around 175-170 in the 2013 photo.
0731d029-3a21-4129-ac01-501a7012443d_zps7b0a30c4.jpg

And here I am about a week ago, at about 163.
947021da-16ac-420a-b2ae-2a539092bae4_zpsad41ab36.jpg

I've been running, lifting, swimming, yoga-ing etc and generally being a more active me. I watch what I eat, but try not to deprive myself.

I'm getting stronger and faster. My 5k time started at 39:24 in 2012, in 2013 it was 37:28, and earlier this year I set a personal best of 31:19. My time for my first 10 mile race was 2:07:11 in 2013, and this year the same race I did in 1:53:51. My first half marathon last year was 2:48:43, and the same race this year I finished in 2:24:29.

I'm still not happy with where I'm at, but even the most negative voices in my head can't deny the progress that I've made. I have all sorts of data and photographic evidence to back it up. We will see where I end up, but for now just seeing the progress helps. Who knows...maybe next year I'll finally be at a healthy weight, break a 28 minute 5k, have a 1:45 10 mile race, break a 2:15 half marathon.

All it takes is hard work and dedication.

Replies

• Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    First of all, let me say that I love your wedding dress! How beautiful you are in that picture!
    Now, let me also say that you have made amazing progress! Good for you!

I know what you mean about the negative voices in your head. I have some of those, too. But glad you knew to look at the progress you have made! You should be proud! Sometimes we slip and those negative thoughts come in, but we can't stop! Just need to keep taking one day at a time and reach those goals! I know you can do it!
  • Flyers1010
    Flyers1010 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress! You are doing amazing and your hard work truly does show. Remember, it's a marathon. Every day in the right direction is another victory! I'm rooting for you!
  • salgal33
    salgal33 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    uhhh-mazing! I am totally impress with your running. Oh! and that dress? It and you are just beautiful!

you are doing fantastic, really you are.

Slow and steady wins the race.
  • allisonjforsyth
    allisonjforsyth Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You are awesome and inspirational!! Congrats on all your hard work and your success! I think you look absolutely angelic in your wedding dress. It is fantastic! Happy for you for getting healthy and fit! Great work!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!