Ladies: Excessive blood discharge after exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My friend put off an ob/gyn appt for two years when this was happening to her. She's been running 15 years and this started happening after long runs a couple of years ago. She finally went in and was diagnosed with endometriosis. With the help of her doc, she still runs and the bleeding has subsided. Could be many different things causing this. Get s second opinion and tell them the reason you are there is for a second opinion.
    Edit... I guess not second opinion... 6th opinion?! My friend cut out red meat and her bleeding/pain stopped.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Are you on hormonal BC?

Or...do you have an IUD fitted?
    I came in to ask these two questions. I had this issue, but it stopped when I quit my BC. It was hormonal.
  • MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Are you on hormonal BC?

Or...do you have an IUD fitted?

Nope, never been on any of that.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Happened to me after a procedure that hadn't yet completely healed before I got back into exercise. If you are unable/ unwilling to seek another opinion, may I suggest you take a week or so completely off and see if that helps? You may have some type of internal tear or something that just needs some time. However, you really should find a way to get a more indepth exam from a doctor/ OB.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I got bloody discharge when I would go walking. This started when I began drinking protein powder to up my protein. My GP and I decided to stop using the supplement and if the blood continued, I would get further testing. I stopping drinking the powder and I stopped bleeding.

Idk if you're using any protein powders (can't see diary), but sometimes excessive protein can cause bleeding. I'm with the others suggesting another doctor or being very insistent on getting tested for fibroids/ultrasound.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Livestrong isn't the best source, but they do get some things right sometimes:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/471831-bloody-discharge-after-exercise/

"This bleeding may be a sign of an underlying disorder, such as hormone imbalance, endometriosis, uterine fibroids or cancer of the uterus. Bleeding can be heavy in the form of clots or it can be scant."
    OK, so go read this article.

Though it can be a sign of some bad stuff, if you've had an ultrasound and been examined thoroughly, you might just be unfortunate. At the end of the article, it offers alternative (and more benign) causes. What do you weigh? Being underweight is one of the causes.
  • MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I got bloody discharge when I would go walking. This started when I began drinking protein powder to up my protein. My GP and I decided to stop using the supplement and if the blood continued, I would get further testing. I stopping drinking the powder and I stopped bleeding.

Idk if you're using any protein powders (can't see diary), but sometimes excessive protein can cause bleeding. I'm with the others suggesting another doctor or being very insistent on getting tested for fibroids/ultrasound.

I actually eat 150 grams of protein a day because i workout a lot. So i should cut back?
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Are you on hormonal BC?

This. My wife had the same issue a few years back, and when her doctor took her off the birth control because she thought it might be the cause, the problem went away.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    Maybe post this same question in the Women's Running section of the Runner's World Forums. I bet they could give you some info.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I get a very small amount of blood when I run. Definitely nothing "excessive", and it's not exactly "discharge". It stops within 10-15 minutes after my run.

Based on multiple discussions and exams with my gyn, there is nothing at all wrong with me, and she has determined that the constant bouncing motion of running creates small tears in the vaginal wall (due to the mild dryness I have from my birth control).

My options are basically to stop taking birth control (NEVER happening...EVER), use a very small amount of lube before I run (I tested this, it worked, but I usually forget to do it), or deal with it (which is what I normally do....I just make sure to wear old underwear that I don't care about and wash it right away so it doesn't stain)....that or stop running...which isn't an option, seeing as how I am training for a half marathon next month and a half Ironman in June (plus multiple other shorter triathlons).

THIS

I had this exact same problem until I switched to IUD birth control. If you have the option to, I recommend it, just be aware that the first month or two if horrible and you'll want to have it removed, but if you can get through those two months it does get much, much better. The lube does help a lot though otherwise.
  • NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    What does WebMD say? I mean I have an idea because of what it always says but what's the second thing it says??

Webmd would probably say it's fatal. Do Not go to WebMD!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on? Could you be pregnant?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Ummm....see your doctor.
  • coffeeshopgeek
    coffeeshopgeek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/375688-can-exercise-cause-breakthrough-bleeding/

Maybe it is just how your body works, at the moment.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh that sounds horrific! :cry:

I second and third (and fourth and fifth!) getting a different opinion. Have you just been to see your GP, or a gynocologist? It's definitely not something I've ever heard of. Have they given you any explanation, or just said you look fine?

I hope you're able to solve this mystery soon!

I seen a gynecologist and got a untra sound and a pap. They said everything was normal but its beyond me why this is happening.

I'm sure there are more tests they can do to see what is wrong. Go to another doctor and get your hormones checked and have them run other tests as well.

If it were me I'd go see every doctor I could possibly see -- even if it meant going to another state -- to find out what's wrong to rule out anything horrific.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    Are you on the pill? I had that (not after exercise) with the pill, but maybe your exercise + pill is what is causing it. Your doctors sound stupid. I know it sucks, but you'll have to keep trying to find a good one until you find one who will listen and actually used that brain of theirs and explain it to you. If it's "normal" they should still be able to explain what's causing it and WHY it is normal. Push for answers! Don't give up! Wear a pad while exercising also... or if you want to try out the Diva Cup, that's pretty good!