Mall Walking

Options
Does anyone else partake in mall walking? The weather is still pretty nice out, but soon the snow will be flying here in the Midwest.

I live about a half-hour away from the Mall of America. On crappy days I love heading to the "Mega Mall" for some mall walking. The Mayo Clinic sponsors the "Mayo Clinic Mile" which offers 3 different courses through the mall: 1 Mile, 5K, and 10K walks, indicated by signs on the ceilings of the mall corridors. I almost always do the 10K course, and I definitely break a sweat walking at that brisk pace in the mall! Because the mall is so large, I don't get bored. Plus, it is a good excuse to have some Jamba Juice and do some window shopping! :)

If I don't head to the Mall of America, I hit up the skyway systems of downtown St Paul and Minneapolis. Lots of walking and sights and stores to see in the skyways!

I used to think mall walking as something older folks did... but ever since I dropped my gym membership I've been looking for creative ways to stay fit and healthy -- and mall walking is an integral part of that when the weather is just too bad for me to be outside.

Replies

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I used to walk in the mall about four years ago, so I don't think it's for older people. I enjoyed the window shopping.... and eating afterwards, lol. I used to work at nights, so I would walk around the mall after work, then eat something and maybe go to an early viewing of a movie, if there was something I wanted to see. I would then go home and sleep.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I used to do mall walking but all the indoor malls nearby have been converted into something else or torn down and replaced with strip malls. So, I do the aisle walk in the big box stores like Walmart, Lowes, etc. I have a bad back and the cart really helps. If you throw something in it, no one looks at you funny as you round each aisle.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    We don't have a mall in our city but we like to walk around shops a lot. The shops are freaking huge here, a couple of times around Younkers, K-Mart and ShopKo then a quick trip to Walmart can take us about 4 hours lol. If I am in a store I tend to 'amble' though, so never sure how far/fast I go, so struggle to log it. I'm sure I go about 1mph! Maybe if I had a pedometer...
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My wife and I go to the mall almost every weekday. It's open about an hour before the stores open. We enjoy mall walking with our baby in the stroller. There are some old people and some moms with strollers who are also regular mall walkers. We go for about an hour each day. It's nice because it's smooth for the stroller and climate controlled. It's a fun date with my wife.