The gym membership

hotpickles
hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all!

Here's my thing. I tell myself countless times I will start running outdoors. The thing is, as much as I really want to do it, it's so inconvenient for me. The weather is usually a mess, and there's not a lot of places to run. Another thing, since I live in a rural area, a lot of people around here let their dogs go loose. I had one chase me the last time I went out for a run. Thankfully there was someone else outside that chased it away.

I like the treadmill because I can put my mp3 player in the console, and just run away. Don't have to worry about anything. I just don't know if it's worth paying for, you know? I guess if it motivates me to run, it's worth it.

L.

Replies

• jyt2573
    jyt2573 Posts: 80
    I just don't know if it's worth paying for, you know? I guess if it motivates me to run, it's worth it.

I think you just answered your question there. :D
  • Chillem
    Chillem Posts: 40
    To be honoust, you started with so many familiar excuses that buying a treadmill would not be the answer for you. I see so many people running in the rain, even in the snow and I'm warm and cozy in my car or home and I watch them and say, they're crazy! And then I think, no, they're die hards! And that's why they are thin, and you're not. So we have to change our attitude first and then consider which exercise would work best for us.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    I pay $25 a month for my membership at 24 Hour Fitness and for me its so worth it! I can find a gym no matter where I'm at, I have access to the pool, sauna, treadmils, weight, weight machines and a bunch of great classes. I can't ever blame weather or time on my not working out. I go at about 4am, no way could I go out walking/jogging in my area at that time.
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    I love to run outside, but since it has gotten cold, I have been going to the gym and I really enjoy it. The gym I go to, there are lots of other moms from my kids school there and we all seem to go right after we drop the kids off (the gym is only 2 blocks from the school). The comeraderie is nice. If you can find a gym where you have friends (or can make some friends), it is definately worth it. Also, you can do other things...I usually do a weight circuit, then run...if my knees are bothering me, I'll do the elliptical or mabe swim...I feel like it is worth it.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Yep...you must change the attitude. I went for a 3 mile run today...in the pouring rain. Check my profile...you'll see me out in the snow. I run in summer when it's 96 degrees out. Dogs don't scare me off....that's why I carry a can of mace and a stick. You just have to try. Seeing new sights and smelling the great out doors is why I run outside. I would be so bored if I was forced to run on a treadmill. Besides...you can take your mp3 player with you. I trail run as well...meaning....no sidewalks...just out in the dirt and in the mountains. It's great.
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    OK>...I do have a treadmill at home...but just don't have interest in using it very much. PLUS it was -2 this am at the barn feeding my horse...I just WANNA GET BACK HOME WHERE IT'S WARM...NOT going to be outside running right now...

I am going to the gym on monday and buying a month to month...at least I know I will go. Going isn't really the problem, and you know once you get there, you will do it. There is also the whole weight room, machines, elliptical and other things to keep me interested and motivated. It's only about a mile from home and easy to get to.

I I envy those who can motivate themselves...me? I need outside help.

Good luck to everyone!
  • Lindyteach
    Lindyteach Posts: 72 Member
    Different strokes for different folks as they say! But I did the gym thing for years and would always start well and then drift off, wasting loads of money. I bought a second hand treadmill, started small -a 5 minute jog and just added a few seconds each day. I do it in front of my favourite tv shows. I am up to 24 minutes now and throw in a good old brisk dog walk outside and a bit of a stroll around the mall when shopping and my exercise soon adds up! it works for me.
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    24 hour fitness is 25 a month, i pay 34 at anytime fitness, and dont get a pool or sauna, im thinking when my contract is up, i'll make the switch.
  • It is definitely worth it! I tried walking and would find it non motivating. When I joined the gym it motivates me to go. You can do everything there, sauna, cardio, cycling, advance weights, indoor racquetball court, indoor basketball, threadmills, ellipticals, indoor pool, jacquzzi, extreme heat room and alots more, even a variety of aerobic classes. My $32 a month is well spent!
  • hotpickles
    Yeah I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it. I'm lucky I get a discounted rate because I'm an alumni (it's at my old school) so it's dirt cheap compared to some other gym memberships I researched.

I don't know, I'm just not the outdoorsy type, LOL. Do I enjoy running in the rain and cold and snow? No. Do I enjoy doing anything outdoors? No. Therefore I'll take it inside :)

Thanks!

L.
  • Good luck! Trust me, it is worth it! You will enjoy!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Get a free 7 days pass from the gym. Try it out to see if you like it. I like to gym specially for this time of the year.
    It getting colder, dark at 5PM and it rains too much in my area. And my clubs have all kind of classes. They are fun to take
    (my fav hip hop, weight lifting,yoga,pilates). Sometimes I'm so tire so I just go to gym for hot tub and sauna.
  • hotpickles
    Oooooh so I did some calculations....

I failed to realize I'd need to pay for parking. Not to mention the fact this gym is not near me, so it would cost me a good 20 bucks each time I go in gas.

Drum roll................a grand total of approximately 300 a month! That includes the parking, driving, and monthly membership, going 3 days a week.

I hate running outdoors, but I certainly will start to love it if it means saving myself that money.

L.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Oooooh so I did some calculations....

I failed to realize I'd need to pay for parking. Not to mention the fact this gym is not near me, so it would cost me a good 20 bucks each time I go in gas.

Drum roll................a grand total of approximately 300 a month! That includes the parking, driving, and monthly membership, going 3 days a week.

I hate running outdoors, but I certainly will start to love it if it means saving myself that money.

L.

Ouch! That seems excessively expensive. There's not another gym closer to you that you don't have to pay extra for parking? I know I have a lot of people in the gym tell me, and I'll admit I'm kinda this way myself, that it is motivating to have to pay for a gym membership. Basically, if you are locked in to paying for it and then don't go, its a waste of money. So, to avoid wasting that money, we go to the gym even when we aren't super motivated to do it.. I don't think I'd spend $300 a month on motivation, though.
  • I go to Fitness19 and pay only $89 a year. For me, it works out great because I'm not into the sauna, steam, or pool action(which they do not provide). They do provide childcare. I find it an incentive to go 4-5 days a week since I paid for it; plus if the weather is bad, there is still no excuse not to go. (I still do plenty of hiking outside during spring, summer, and fall; started snowshoeing this winter!)

You are totally worth it! Just do a little research or find someone who has already joined and sometimes gyms will give them discount certificates to hand out to potential new members. Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.