Know any supplements for arthritis?

Options
Kkmama
Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
Hi,
I have an arthritic knee and am wanting to know if anyone has tried any supplements that have made a difference. I have tried Glucosamine and Chondriton (sp?) with no relief. Now that I am getting more active I have more swelling and pain. I have been told I am a candidate for knee replacement but would rather no go down that road ( am too young!) and am too overweight for the docs to put me on the list!
So activity and strength training are my focus to help me. I live with pain, but would really like to have less of it.
Thanks for any input.

Replies

• Chillem
    Chillem Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi, did you try hyaluronan or hyaluronic acid. I have a slim friend, just 30 with major hip problems. Eventually she will have to choose for a hip replacement, but till then she has to live with the pain. And hyaluronan really relievers her pain and relaxes the stiffnes of her hip. I am not sure which brand she uses, but it's a small drink with berry taste that contains hyaluronan. She's a pharmacist herself and she ordered it from the pharmacy. You can ask your doctor if it's available in the us.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis too, (since my early 20's) and I recently started taking turmeric. It's the exact same spice that is used in Indian, (and other types too!) food except it's in a capsule. I haven't had a flare up since... I don't know when. I usually have one pretty regularly in my feet and the last too fingers of both hands, but right now I can't think of the last time I had one. It's helped in my shoulders and knees too. Just google "turmeric and arthritis" and hopefully you'll find some info that you trust. It really is nothing more than the spice you may already have in your kitchen. Good luck, I hope you can find some relief! I know how tough it can make the very easiest things.
  • bushman124
    bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I assume you already know this, but a knee brace helps immensely. You can buy the velcro kind at CVS or Walgreen. Never found any supplements that worked, and I'm not too young for knee replacement so the 20th of this month I am having a partial knee replacement. Good luck to you.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You're going to think I'm nuts, but strength training is your best bet. Leg extensions, leg curls, & 30% leg extensions are my top three recommendations. I'd avoid lunges, running, and the elliptical for a while. Yes, I know everyone says how great the elliptical is for your knees, but as someone who has had 2 knee surgeries and several other knee injuries (I was a professional wrestler for 13 years. I destroyed my knees!) that have caused arthritis in my knee, I can say for a fact that the elliptical is one of the worst things on my knees. If I can find one with an adjustable stride length and get it set up exactly where it is perfect for me, then I can use an elliptical, but I've only been able to do it on one particular machine at a gym where I worked 7 years ago. Since then, I haven't been able to find the right adjustment for my stride length even on the adjustable ones. Once you've built up the muscles in the joints, they support the joint better. You also build bone density and some people have even regrown cartilage, but that is a rarer occurrence.

Also, when your joints hurt, use heat not ice. Ice makes arthritis flare up worse. Moist heat after every workout will be a good thing. Also, don't push too hard on the knees until you build up to it. If you need to up the intensity of your workouts add arm movements until your knees are strong enough to handle the harder impacts.
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    Take a look at Cod Liver Oil (not just any fish oil). G'luck. I hope you find relief asap!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have an arthritic knee and am wanting to know if anyone has tried any supplements that have made a difference. I have tried Glucosamine and Chondriton (sp?) with no relief. Now that I am getting more active I have more swelling and pain. I have been told I am a candidate for knee replacement but would rather no go down that road ( am too young!) and am too overweight for the docs to put me on the list!
    So activity and strength training are my focus to help me. I live with pain, but would really like to have less of it.
    Thanks for any input.

Both my parents are going to start taking a supplement with Glucosamine, Collagen type II (instead of Chondroiton) and MSM, in hopes that it will help them more than the Glucosamine and Chondriton with no MSM, that they are currently taking. I know some people have had luck with the switch.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    My mother-n-law takes Slo-gin and soaks golden raisins in it..You have to let them sit in the Gin for a week before you take them but she said it really works...Here's an article on it as well try it doesn't hurt..

http://arthritis.about.com/od/alternativetreatments/f/raisinsgin.htm
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Try Knox gelatin, yes, the stuff they make jello out of. You can pick up packets of it in any baking isle. Take a packet a day in a glass of water. The Knox gelating actually helps in the lubrication of the joints and does help with arthritis. They do sell glucosamine supplements with the knox gelatin already in it. I'm over 300 lbs and had a major knee reconstruction and use this stuff myself. Works like a charm.

You might also want to try Kinesiology which is a form of accupuncture that uses tape instead of needles. When I have bad flare up days I use the tape with the Knox and it is soooo much a relief. When done with a workout, I kickback with a nice heating pad and it's like heaven. :)
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thank you, really appreciate everyone for taking the time to help me find relief. I think I will run out to the drug store, the grocery store, and do the stretching and toning like Tonya mentioned. My Doc told me I really need to improve the muscles around my joint (s). I avoid lunges at all costs along with running and jumping. I don't want my arthritis to define who I am and what I can do... As for the elliptical I know what you mean! My husband surprised me with an Elliptical for home and it caused me so much pain we had to return it. Thanks for letting me know that some of them are adjustable. For now I think I will "just go outside" and enjoy the snow that melted. (I am in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada)

I will let you know how the battle goes!

Have a great day!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Shark cartilage can help your body rebuild its own cartilage, but you'll have to take it for months before feeling results.
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    You might also want to try Kinesiology which is a form of accupuncture that uses tape instead of needles. When I have bad flare up days I use the tape with the Knox and it is soooo much a relief. When done with a workout, I kickback with a nice heating pad and it's like heaven. :)
    OMG I totally forgot about Kinesio Tape. Best. Thing. Ever. LOL.... I still don't understand how it works, but I do know that it works. See if your doctor offers it, or if you get a minimum of free yearly chiro appts. You can look it up online. Once you learn how to apply it, you can buy the tape yourself. :)