Bronchitis and Working Out

Options
So I've had this stupid Bronchitis for over a week now and I haven't been working out or doing much but working and sleeping lately. My doctor told me to be careful and take it easy and back off on my exercising until I get better. But I'm panicking thinking about what if I gain weight?! So tonight I did my Biggest Loser Body Sculpt DVD and It felt super great to workout again. I only did the 35ish minute workout for week 1. Buut now my nose is draining again a little.

What would you guys suggest I do? I hate just sitting around it makes me grumpy and I feel poofy, bloated and kind of like I gained a couple pounds. . .also exercising is how I handle my really band anxiety. Is it ok you think to workout lightly like doing my DVD until I feel better enough to get back into running?

I dont know I guess Im just really frustrated, three weeks ago I had the flu now I have Bronchitis. Gah.

Replies

• blazin_j
    Options
    My advice is first things first.

Get your health back, then exercise.
  • marniehodges
    Options
    I would say listen to your body. Maybe stick with some strength type exercises and not a lot of high rate cardio until those lungs get better...you definately don't want to get sicker. Every little bit will count so take it slowly and maybe do small workouts spread out throughout your day. Hope you get better soon!
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    i JUST got over bronchitis. i was out of commission for 2 wks (in addition to a week from an unrelated allergic reaction, so a total of 3 wks). believe me, i know what you mean! LOL.... talk about cabin fever!

i'm assuming we're all talking about being healthy, and not about losing weight. well, to be healthy, you have to learn to rest too, especially when your body is SCREAMING at you. hahaha.... the last thing you wanna do is make the bronchitis last 2+ wks longer than necessary, or worse, have it turn into pneumonia.

also, if you're not at 100%, i'd hate for you to injure yourself during a forced workout session bc you have weak muscles that aren't supporting you properly. then you could REALLY put yourself out for 6 months or more. no bueno...

take care and know that you're doing everything to help your body reach its potential so that you can live a healthy life! :)

feel better soon!!! xoxo.
  • triscuitsmom08
    triscuitsmom08 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to stick to my strength training like Marnie said, I tried to do a higher level aerobic type exercise today for 32 minutes and was coughing pretty good by the end but yesterday when I did my biggest loser sculpt dvd I didn't cough hardly at all. Maybe being sick will give me a chance to work on the rest of my arms, :)
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i have been sick for about a week - finding it diffuclt to work out - coughing and gasping -- I went to the doctor today and was told I have bronchitis.

He gave me a perscription and a puffer.... I am in the same boat about working out - finding it difficult to breath without coughing let along working out -- what are you doing?

I have been really paying attention to my calories but not sure how much actual Jillian Michaels i can handle with the shortness of breath I have right now.
  • anniebells21
    anniebells21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments about working out with bronchitis. Trying to decide now about going to the gym. It's been 4 days and I can't take it any longer! I think I'll concentrate on strength training and do light cardio like the elliptical instead of running. Glad I checked in with the fitness pal family!!! This program has changed my life!!