is "fat" derogatory?

Options

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    No. I am fat. A lot of people on this website are fat. We all have fat, we all also eat fat. Anyone who takes offence has not taken the step to acknowledge reality and what is.

People make "Fat" a bad word in their own head. It is not good nor bad. It just is.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I like it when they say "curvy" instead of fat.

OMG...lol Are you trying to derail this thread?? haha.
  • crystallynnl
    crystallynnl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I can admit I am fat.
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's complicated. For one thing, I think it is hard to draw a line between "fat" and "not fat". At 20 pounds overweight, am I fat? If so, is 15 pounds overweight fat? if not, is 25 pounds? 30?

Aside from that we're taught from a young age that fat is bad, and fat is not what we want to be. So even if we are considered obese many of us don't want to give ourselves that label. We're plump, curvy, "more to love", chubby, husky, plus-sized, large, etc.

Honestly, I don't really get it. Like, you can call me fat if you want. I know what my body is like, and being called fat or skinny doesn't change anything. I think as long as you aren't using the word in a hateful manner it shouldn't be offensive.

Umm.. don't think OP mean she was gonna go calling people fat.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The word itself? No.

The derisive and negative way in which most use it? Absolutely. There's nothing positive or encouraging about using that word to describe someone.

All in all, I think it's a very subjective and grey-area word. When I look back at photos of myself, I find myself saying, "God, I was fat."
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an insult. If someone's body holds an excess of fat, that person is fat. But, people are oftentimes eager to be offended.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the euphemisms. They are misleading.

Let's pretend someone sets you up on a blind date and says she's curvy or thick and you're thinking Salma Hayek and Sofia Vergara and you get Roseanne or a girl from the Jerry Springer show.

fat is fat, thin is thin. Nothing wrong with honesty and more so, self-honesty.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I think it is a matter of context. Nothing offensive about saying "my percent of body fat is. . . " or "I need to lose some fat on my . . . ". But when used to describe someone. . . then it can be insulting when used that way.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Since there's always someone who's offended... I tend to just not care and do what I want.

There ya go!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Soo I feel like I've been tip-toeing around the boards/feeds/blogs with this word. And, maybe I just don't notice, but I don't think I ever see people use the word "fat". I see large, overweight, husky, big and even little nicknames for their areas like flat tire and wings etc... I even see obese.

Considering the site we're on, is the word " fat" inappropriate or insensitive? Would you (or anyone else) be offended if I started using it? Obviously I'd never use it towards someone in an attacking manner. I feel like there's a secret rule no one told me about...

Stupid question? Just GIF me...

It used to be a "bad" word in my book. But the reality is, I AM fat - and I'm okay with using that word as a descriptor for myself.

I wouldn't use it for another person, because it has the potential to hurt them - and why not avoid hurting someone when you can easily use another word?
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    On this site, fat is a macro, just like carbs and protein.
  • ValGogo
    Options

There's no need to worry though, my boy has autism. He'll tell you if you're fat.:wink:

Hahaha, that was brilliant!
  • celtic_thistle
    celtic_thistle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No. It's realistic. People are fat. It is a description.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just used the word "fat" in a post earlier today to refer to the squishy rolls that are on full display when I work out in m'spandex and tight shirts!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't consider "fat" derogatory...in most cases. I call myself fat all the time. I also call my myself overweight, obese, etc. Some time's it's a postive, jokey "yeah, I'm fat" and other times it's a negative like "today I feel fat, not obese". I think it's a matter of context and whether or not you're using it against someone else like,"oh, man, you're really fat." or...."your boyfriend sounds fat". I also think people get bent out of shape when someone who would generally be considered not obese or not even really overweight calls themselves fat. But it's a matter of self-perception. When I was a just a little overweight, I saw myself as fat.

I think the reason why so many people refrain from using the word "fat" is most likely because they were called that most of their lives and have negative associations with it, so they use different words to create positive associations with a new chapter in their lives.

I would hope most people would be able to tell when someone is clearly using it to be jerk or a bully and not.
  • jharlowlives
    jharlowlives Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Na, it's just a descriptive word. I'm fat. If you are actually fat and consider it derogatory, you need to evaluate your self worth.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Depends a lot on the context. Me calling my too big for me clothes my fat clothes is a lot different than someone saying "Look at that fat fatty!"
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Being called fat doesnt offend me at all, i prefer to be called phat though
  • FemWeight
    Options
    I think it all depends on the person. I personally know I'm FAT! I have more calories of "fat" in my body than muscle. And I plan to kick fats *kitten*!

cjAZQ9C.jpg
  • LadyHobbledehoy
    LadyHobbledehoy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think those who find the word "fat" offensive or derogatory are those who are afraid to admit (or refuse to admit) that they are, indeed, fat. Dude, whether or not you want to believe it, you are fat. It's no secret to anyone around you.

Most of the time, I use "overweight" and "obese" to describe the degree of fatness.