Runner's Knee?

goal30Lori
goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi Everyone!

I've been doing some Googling and it seems like I may have "Runner's Knee" I feel fine at first, but then about 2.5k into a run, I get a weird almost electric feeling under my kneecap. I have been just pushing through it, and it comes to a point where my knee almost gives out, and then tapers back to a dull ache, which lingers around for about a day. I'm wondering if any runners out there have experienced this ans what kind of things (stretching/strengthening) should I be doing to eliminate it completely. I do plan to see my physiotherapist eventually, but would love any and all advice!

I am a fairly new, and by no means fast runner, just progressing from 5k to 10k distances gradually.

Thanks you in advance!!!
Happy New Year!

Replies

• ajsimyan
    ajsimyan Posts: 177 Member
    I suffer from the same ordeal. Its sucks. I ran 5.5 miles today and about halfway through my knee is in agony. I actually have it resting up on a pillow right now. And yes, it usually lasts for about a day, hopefully by tomorrow's workout it will be fine enough for me to do it. I get pain on my knee cap on the right knee and the left knee I get it on my kneecap and the lateral portion of the knee.
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    The one thing that I have found that helps is to strengthen the quad muscle on the inside of your knee - the vastus medialis. The easiest way to do this is do to plies (knee bends) or to use the leg press machine with your feet turned out a bit.
  • goal30Lori
    Thank you for the responses! I will give the knee bends a try for sure. Once the appropriate muscles have been strengthened, is this something I will be free of forever, or is it a reccuring type thing?

Thanks again!!
  • goal30Lori
    Thank you for the responses! I will give the knee bends a try for sure. Once the appropriate muscles have been strengthened, is this something I will be free of forever, or is it a reccuring type thing?

Thanks again!!
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Sadly, unless you keep the muscles in good shape it comes back.
This discussion has been closed.