how do i get fit enough to jog?

Options
Hi there i am doing a triathalon on 31st of jan and i have the bike and swim sorted but i am really struggling to get the jogging going. its only 1.5kms but i find i cant do all of it in one hit...im knackered. any suggestions as i really want to run in the triathlon not walk it to challenge myself (also realise that i only have 4 weeks to train). Any suggestions would be appreciated

Replies

• rtrautmann
    Options
    bursts of training between walking/jogging on treadmills or even timed intervals (1 minute walking, 2 minutes jogging) helps to build endurance.
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    good question..... =0)
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Couch to 5k worked for me :)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    That's not alot of time, but a little practice everyday will help get ya there. It's all mind over matter. Seriously, if you feel like you have to stop ask yourself why. 9 times outta 10 is bc your mind is tellin you that you can't do it. If it's bc you are gettin short of breath then you will def have to get in better shape before attemptin to run. Bc that will only cause more problems. And if it's body aches then take some pain pills before hand and use muscle rub or whatever else helps. Eat healthy along the way and don't run the day before the big race. Eat your carbs for the energy.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    A short walk in the middle of the jog will refresh you and allow you finish feeling better, stronger, and faster than if you try to jog the whole thing!
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    3295323.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thanks for all the advice!
  • tvalk79
    tvalk79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started a program yesterday called the FIRST Training program that gets you to a 5K in 12 weeks. The program goes really slowly and only has you run 3 non-consecutive days per week - designed for someone who doesn't run at all and to help you avoid common injuries from training too much too fast. Week one looks like this:

walk 10 min (no speed specified)
    run 1 minute, walk 2 minutes (4 times)
    walk 10 min
    32 minute total

week two:
    walk 10 min
    run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes (3 times)
    walk 10 minutes
    32 minute total

it continues like that for 12 weeks until you can run a 5K
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I would recommend couch to 5k. Since you already are doing some jogging, you can probably skip week one and perhaps week two. Plus you are not needing to go 5k. If you have an I-phone, download the app C25K from Bluefin Software it's worth the $1.99.

I've done short triathlons in the past and running is also my weakest leg. The added problem is that running will probably be your third leg of the triathlon, so you will be tired at the beginning of the run. You will however have some adrenaline rushing so you will probably be fine.