What's 'French' food for you?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    31d89a9c9ce2090962820631fbb9b82cc5c9965b88f1dc5e1e4d15b30cd53e68_zps2e707fb9.jpg

Not true. Plus snails are gross!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    French Fries :wink: :laugh:

Don't you mean freedom fries? :laugh:
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Picard.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Hams, wine, cheese, bread, macarons, croissants, pastries, creamy pastas, foie gras, and liver pate.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly familiar with regional (aka French Canadian) foods like tortiere, cretons, poutine, pea soup and of course cheddar cheese with apple pie. The only classic/traditional french dishes I think I've ever had are croissants, crepes and Coq au Vin. The latter being one of our favorite winter meals. So worth the calories!

I love all of those..tourtiere especially. I also like to add ployes ( www.ployes.com ) , french Canadian beignets which are different than Louisiana beignets, patate fricasse, pot en pot, des bin (beans) etc.I am French and I grew up on all of these dishes, hence my love of food LOL
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    ...and I live 20 minutes from Quebec and yes, poutine is definitely from Quebec.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM5RTyZciuHthq29OVjFZBtb74znrMi_xVjS5DGe5-iJGOt6WAOw
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I lived in France for a year (I have a French degree) and have been there on holiday sooo many times.

For me, it's the lovely salads, goats cheese, niçoise etc, the bread, the cheese, the wine. I've spent most of my time in France in the South, Provence or the Côte d'Azur, and usually when it's hot, so I've only really eaten light meals. When I was a student there I didn't eat a lot, but i did sample a lot of the alcohol :smile:

I did to to the Alps ones Summer, near Les Gets, and we had tartiflette (I think) which was nice, but quite rich and creamy.

I love France so much, but I haven't been since I had children. I'm a French teacher and used to run our school trip to Paris every year.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    It's worth pointing out that a lot of what used to be specific French foods have become international ones. Just off the top of my head, mayonnaise, remoulade, roux, souffle, omelette and eclair are all French words.

As for what I see as 'French' food, I would have to go with brie, camembert and foie gras. They're the only foods that, AFAIK, have no real equivalent anywhere else.

I also think of Bologna as French, but only because of the name 'Parizer'.

ETA : Quebec is what happens when France and England make a baby and he hangs out with the US after school.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Picard.

YES! (watching him right as i type this)

make it so, number 1
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Poutine ;)
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Picard.

make it so, number 1

Totally.

Lol I actually mean the frozen food chain, but Captain Picard works, too. (I have a print above my television of a lovely piece of vector art of him, with MAKE IT SO written underneath.)
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Picard.

make it so, number 1

Totally.

Lol I actually mean the frozen food chain, but Captain Picard works, too. (I have a print above my television of a lovely piece of vector art of him, with MAKE IT SO written underneath.)

i was kinda wondering how he was food but then... hes picard so... what is he not? lol.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I tend to think of Manu Fidel , a French born, now Australian chef and 'the flavour' said in a goofy accent. He makes wonderful sauces and blends his French training really well with local ingredients. He is great to watch on tv lol.

Also French pastries. Though here (in Brisbane Australia) I find we get the best tasting ones from our local Vietnamese bakery. Most of the 'fancy' bakeries seem too massed produce and expensive, where as our local isn't as pretty, but the flavour and texture is just wow. In saying that, our local family bakery is one of the better ones around.

I would like to try more French food in the future.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Soufflé!
  • RamonaFr
    Options
    Julia Child -- Mastering the Art of French Cooking
    I think more of techniques than specific dishes when I think of French food
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I consider strong/creamy tasting soups very French - don't know if they're meant to be or not. So onion soup or garlic cream soup and croutons I'd consider French. Add in some French baguette for extra French element.

I also consider desserts like crepes and creme brûlée French and cream-filled eclairs too.

I assume French fries are originally French, but now I consider them American. I consider most fast-food type foods American.

For some reason I consider something like steak or red meat dishes French. I don't think they're meant to be - and I don't know if steak originated from a country seeing as it's essentially just a piece of cow meat. It might be something to do with the fact french fries and red wine are very popular in France, and typically go with steaks, or how a lot of French dishes are meats cooked with wine.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Lapin Marguerite at Chez Napoleon on W 50th NYC

rabbit served in a light mustard and white wine sauce

Actually, the whole menu at Chez Napoleon.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It depends.

Mussels
    Steak Frite
    marrow with toast
    escargot
    crepe madame
    frog legs
    beef bourguignon

really depends
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Anything made by a cheese-eating, surrender monkey!
    murica-19047.gif

...and fries.