Lifting Belt

Options
As I start lifting heavier, I want to look into getting a lifting belt to support my back. I've never used one and see two types in most searches: the softer material ones that have less of a back to them, then the harder ones that are made of leather or some other material and look like they have more support.

For instance, there are these 2:
http://www.amazon.com/LEATHER-LIFTING-BELT-BLK-MED/dp/B0007W2EPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411500676&sr=8-1&keywords=lifting+belt

and

http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-4-Inch-Performance-Profile-Medium/dp/B001QKCHVS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411500676&sr=8-2&keywords=lifting+belt

What are the pro's and con's to each? I would be using this for my squats and deadlifts.

Thanks!

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I've used various belts over the years but I have not personally found one that has fit ME better than the Inzer 10mm Lever Belt. I know everybody has their favorite but that is mine.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I got my belt because I was starting to have to spend so much focus on keeping my core tight and active that the rest of form was suffering. I got my Inzer 10mm lever and love it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here's an opportunity to educate me.

Why use a belt?

I was under the impression keeping your core tight and solid was part of the lift.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've been trying out different belts lately trying to find the one I like the most and have also read tons online about them. The one that seems to be most recommended in the Inzer 10mm lever belt. I tried one for the first time today during my heavy deadlifts and I prefer far above all the others I have tried. It does cut into my ribs a bit but I think I'll get used to it pretty quick. I prefer the lever belt because I can get it tight enough by myself and also relase it quickly after my set on my own. Con of the lever belt is that if you like your belt tighter/looser for certain lifts, it will require tools to adjust the tightness of the lever belt.
    Also the heavy leather belts require quite a bit of breaking in before you use them!

I have tried a few velcro softer belts like you described and I felt that they didn't give me the support that the leather belts do. Also the leather belts can literally last forever but the velcro seems to wear out on the softer belts.

I decided today that I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy the Inzer 10mm lever belt!

Hope that helps!!!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Why use a belt?

I was under the impression keeping your core tight and solid was part of the lift.

I find, at least for myself, that my core actually works harder with my belt.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    As I start lifting heavier, I want to look into getting a lifting belt to support my back. I've never used one and see two types in most searches: the softer material ones that have less of a back to them, then the harder ones that are made of leather or some other material and look like they have more support.

For instance, there are these 2:
    http://www.amazon.com/LEATHER-LIFTING-BELT-BLK-MED/dp/B0007W2EPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411500676&sr=8-1&keywords=lifting+belt

and

http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-4-Inch-Performance-Profile-Medium/dp/B001QKCHVS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411500676&sr=8-2&keywords=lifting+belt

What are the pro's and con's to each? I would be using this for my squats and deadlifts.

Thanks!

If you have never used one, do you know exactly how they work? Or is this just a gym fashion statement? Have an experienced trainer advise you. Have your form on the lifts evaluated. If your form on the lifts is flawless, then you can graduate to a belt. If you still struggle with form, drop the weights, work yourself up, and only then invest in a belt......if you still think you need one.
    Work on your core strength without gadgets first, prevent injury!

Train safe!
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would honestly stay away from either of those options. Go with a powerlifting belt from a reputable manufacturer. Try the sites listed below to check out there options.

http://www.roguefitness.com/
    http://www.elitefts.net/Default.asp
    http://www.bestbelts.net/
    http://www.liftinglarge.com/Titan-Support-Systems-Powerlifting-Belts

These belts will last you forever unless you lose too much weight for it to fit correctly. I prefer leather myself for that reason as well as provides a better, more sturdy feel.

The reason for wearing a belt is to help increase intraabdominal pressure. While many will tell you that your core is strong enough to handle this on it's own, the belt will allow you to brace your core harder once you learn to lift with it. This is the reason you want to get a belt that is the same width all the way around. The tapered belts only provide true core support to the back muscles, while a powerlifting belt gives you 360 degree support.

After you buy your belt, don't use it for every set. You will become too reliant on it instead of building up your core muscles to a point where they can handle more weight on their own. Remember that a belt is a tool, not the answer.

Check out these videos for a more through explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrwUdaHjE7o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwI_e9q_qBI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeoUN2Qd2_8
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Why use a belt?

I'm in this camp.

I bought one as I train in my dad's garage and he was niggling at me, total waste of money - I never use it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Why use a belt?

I'm in this camp.

I bought one as I train in my dad's garage and he was niggling at me, total waste of money - I never use it.
    EDIT - From the Starting Strength Wiki.
    The purpose of a weightlifting belt is to provide more efficient stabilization of the torso and lower spine while doing exercises such as the squat, deadlift, clean, and row. As you progress in your training to more intense poundages, a belt will eventually become a potentially useful tool. For beginners, squatting and deadlifting without a belt, assuming you are using proper technique, is beneficial because it forces your torso and core stabilizing muscles of the midsection and lower back to get stronger.

HOWEVER...since most people don't have a knowledgeable coach to observe them, I feel very uncomfortable recommending that people skip the belt, so I will take the easy way out.

If you have someone watching/coaching you who knows how to perform the exercises properly, then skip the belt, and tell him to be very watchful of your technique, and have them watch for anything, such as lower back rounding or hips tucking "under" that will be indicators of a potential injury.
    If you do not have a coach, then do your warmups without a belt, and make sure you do at least your last 2 work sets WITH a belt. You may very well be able to get away with skipping belt use during the first set of your working sets.
    IDEALLY, a novice will not use a belt at all until they are moving much heavier poundages. However, I don't want a lawsuit because some knucklehead tried to perform a rounded-back good morning with 100 pounds too much, and tells the orthopedic surgeon "but kethnaab said I should squat without a belt", so I'll say now, to avoid lawsuit, that not only should you use a belt during ALL squats, you'll use a belt during every single exercise you do, and in fact, you shouldn't do any exercise at all because you might drop the bar onto your neck or something...and that would be bad [/personal responsibility]
    But seriously, do as much work as you can without a belt, but do NOT push it if you don't have a competent coach. When in doubt, wear a belt. If you decide to use a belt, get a powerlifting belt Notice the belt is the same height throughout the entire length, and only "tapers" inward near the buckle? That is the key. Don't get one of these kind of belts, with the wide back and super-narrow midsection.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    I'm of the mindset that on sub-maximal lifts a healthy individual should not use a belt, but when you get into the realm of max effort, then a belt is not out of the question. If you use the belt correctly you still get plenty of core activation. Additionally, if you're relying solely on the compound lifts to build core strength & stability then you're missing a component of your training, as there should be some additional training for the Core anyway; it doesn't have to be a lot, but definitely some.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options

Why use a belt?

You should. However sometimes lifting heavier can "force" people to portrude their abs outward while trying to keep it tight. Belts help to keep them in.
    Personally, I always "wear" a belt on my heavier lifts like squats, deads, bent over rows. I don't always tighten it, but just wearing it (whether a placebo effect or not) has helped me from suffering any injury to my core over the last 30 years of lifting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dbmata
    Options
    Interesting.

I'll hunt up a belt when I start heading toward the 1300# combined mark.

Thanks for the knowledge. Really didn't know what it was for, although I saw record books are separated between raw and gear lifts.
  • dbmata
    Options

Why use a belt?

You should. However sometimes lifting heavier can "force" people to portrude their abs outward while trying to keep it tight. Belts help to keep them in.
    Personally, I always "wear" a belt on my heavier lifts like squats, deads, bent over rows. I don't always tighten it, but just wearing it (whether a placebo effect or not) has helped me from suffering any injury to my core over the last 30 years of lifting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I like that, the touch reminds you to keep everything tight and activated. Clever.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Interesting.

I'll hunt up a belt when I start heading toward the 1300# combined mark.

Thanks for the knowledge. Really didn't know what it was for, although I saw record books are separated between raw and gear lifts.

Everybody is going to be different of course but it shouldn't really matter what your "total" is, but rather when you start to exceed 85% of your 1RM OR are going for a max-rep set. Your total weight is relative to the individual. To some 1,300 is untouchable, some their max, and for some their total warm-up.

Don't be confused about "raw" lifters as they are allowed to wear a belt. Depending on the federation they may or may not allow knee wraps but I can't think of a federation that doesn't allow "raw" lifters to wear a belt. There very well could be, but I would say that's not the norm. Gear applies to bench shirts, squat suits, and in some it may include knee wraps.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Oh really? interesting. I didn't realize raw included belts.

I'm still early in lifting, and my coach is constant about watching my form, so I'll think about this for adding to my non-coached lifting sessions.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Oh really? interesting. I didn't realize raw included belts.

I'm still early in lifting, and my coach is constant about watching my form, so I'll think about this for adding to my non-coached lifting sessions.

You gotta pay attention to what your strength coach tells you....he looks like he knows what he's doing..... :bigsmile:

To the OP: Try this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lessons-in-weight-belts-how-and-why-to-use-them.html
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    This is the original article i looked at

[/quote]

You gotta pay attention to what your strength coach tells you....he looks like he knows what he's doing..... :bigsmile:

To the OP: Try this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lessons-in-weight-belts-how-and-why-to-use-them.html
    [/quote]
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Everyone was either YES, great idea .... or NO, belts are stupid and you need a tighter core...what a surprise...lol

To answer some questions: I've hit 315 in squats x 8.
    Dead-lifts I'm just starting into more since my back was weak and I wanted to strengthen it in other ways first.
    I don't have a super tight core, but my core isn't a weak point really...
    I've consulted different websites, but was trying to get opinions from others on the best choice
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I got my belt because I was starting to have to spend so much focus on keeping my core tight and active that the rest of form was suffering. I got my Inzer 10mm lever and love it.

I believe that's the idea. The core is everything, not just the front part of the stomach and the obliques. I find that when I focus on my core, the entire core including my back comes into play too and I can almost feel every part of the core engaging. It's quite thrilling knowing I have that kind of strength capability.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As I start lifting heavier, I want to look into getting a lifting belt to support my back

this needs to be clearly addressed.

Belts are not for your back. They are for you to brace and keep tight AGAINST.

It's not a construction belt- or a back support belt.

A lifting belt is there to allow you to exert more force AGAINST something to brace harder... so- if you're pushing a car- and you are just pushing standing up and using legs but from a standing position- you get OKAY force. But if you are pushing and you have your legs wedged up against a wall or a surface you can really brace against- you'll get a lot more stability and force exerted to move the mass.

Just to be perfectly clear.