Them thighs THICK

Okay, so I'm like pear shaped I guess. Thick thighs that I have despised, I've grown to absolutely love. Now, I'm scared I will lose them, making me want to raise my final goal of like 115-120 to 140. (Still 30 more lbs to go til then) does anyone know any thigh saving exercises? Or is there anyone whose thighs stayed pretty much the same? Thanks!

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Your thighs are most likely a mix of fat and muscle. Where your body stores fat is dictated by genetics, and as you say, if you are a "pear" you'll most likely always store excess fat on your thighs. I'd of course recommend heavy weight lifting to minimize muscle loss on your legs (and everyone). A good program like Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, or New Rules would work.

I'm at a healthy body fat percentage and my thighs are still 24".
  • CheeeekyChap
    CheeeekyChap Posts: 36 Member
    Squats?
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    I have thick thighs too. I can't see them getting super small no matter how much weight I lose and I'm okay with that. You'll just never see me in skinny jeans! :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I seriously can't see mine going anywhere. No matter how much I lift and exercise, these puppies are still here. Very thick.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    As stated, they are mix of fat and muscle, so you're at the mercy of genetics as far as where fat loss will come from as you lose.

For me, I got down to about 115 lbs, while reversing calories to bulk in weightlifting. My thighs are SO much better during this bulk. The best thing you can do is barbell routine that incorporates squats and deadlifts to help retain lean body mass in those areas. Something like All Pro, Strong Lifts, etc. Good luck! :P
  • lollipoprincess
    lollipoprincess Posts: 117 Member
    Thank you! Great to know! I've been doing strong lifts :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I have thick thighs too. I can't see them getting super small no matter how much weight I lose and I'm okay with that. You'll just never see me in skinny jeans! :D

I wear skinny jeans and have thick thighs.
  • lollipoprincess
    lollipoprincess Posts: 117 Member
    Leggings are the best! I can hardly stand jeans anymore but when I did all I wore was skinny jeans.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I have always had larger thighs, with weight loss and strength training they are tighter and stronger but still on the larger side. Sounds like you are going about it in the right way, your legs will only get more fabulous :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    The answer to anything is SQUATS :laugh: Surplus too, if you want them bigger
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Save your thighs?

Well, that's super simple.

Squats, deadlifts, hamstring curls, Glute ham work, jump squats, box jumps, step ups, thrusters.

Nice legs are built by having nicely formed and activated glutes, hams, and quads.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member

Me too :happy:
  • melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Even when I was 115lbs I had thighs & *kitten*, everything else was tiny. I didn't complain & neither did my husband!

Since I've started losing weight 2 months ago I've gone from 41" to 39" Hips and 24" to 23.5" Thigh...I don't think they're gonna really go anywhere and I'm ok with that!

Now if only I could find a way for fat to redirect itself from my stomach into my boobs everything may be alright!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member

Me too :happy:

as a guy, bless you both.
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Don't have that problem! I am a banana shaped woman! So my fat stores evenely! So when I gain weight a little but goes all over and when I lose weight a little bit goes away all over! So when I was slim I looked perfect!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    As everyone else has said...squats and (deads for posterior chain). I see you are doing SL - that's a solid program..
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    unless I drop to very very VERY low body fat, my shape really doesn't change, its just proportional. Your thighs will shrink at the same pace as the rest of you most likely!
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    I went from 186 to 140, and I still have "thick" thighs, they are just less jiggly.

Squats and lunges would probably help, though.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I lost 20 pounds and am almost to 140. My hips are still measuring 40 inches. My chest is bony and I'm down to a 32 B and almost 27 inch waist. But da butt is still there. I squat heavy to keep it in check.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    I have a bigger butt/thighs and my weight drops there in proportion to the rest of my body. So, since my thighs are proportionally bigger now, they'll shrink but still look big for the rest of my body. That being said, I have 26" thighs and still rock skinny jeans and leggings with confidence :)