I'm a longtime walker, but I'd like to try running. How do I

WonderNoodle
WonderNoodle Posts: 549
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Womens Running Magazine
By Carla Gregor
http://www.womensrunning.com/

Q: I'm a longtime walker, but I'd like to try running. How do I get started?

A: The key is to start running slowly, progress gradually with frequent periods of rest and run regularly. Surprisingly, the aerobic system often improves faster than the support structure of your muscles and bones. So don't try to see how far or how fast you can go the first day, or increase your running distance or time too quickly. If you're over 35 or have a family history of heart disease, check with your physician before you begin.

To start, commit yourself to 15 to 20 minutes of continuous movement four to five days a week. Jog slowly until you feel out of breath, walk until you feel revived, then jog again. Repeat the pattern for 20 minutes. Don't worry that it looks or feels slow--the most important thing is that you're doing it.

Maintain a pace that allows you to carry on a conversation comfortably while running. When you're able to run continuously for 20 minutes, add five minutes of walking/jogging to your routine. When that's comfortable, add another five.

The payoff comes when you can sustain 30 minutes of easy running. At that point you'll probably discover you have increased alertness and endurance. You may even be hooked on running!

Replies

• mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Look up C25K. It's a program that gets you from the couch (which are past) to running a 5k in like 10 weeks I believe. Great little tool.
  • thanks mz. just thought it was good info to share and actually was a post on facebook from couch-to-5k. :flowerforyou:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,326 Member
    I like this. I have been walking for exercise and Aquafit for a few years. Recently I started slowly adding short jogging intervals into my walk and I am definitely going slow with it. I got the idea that I could do it from doing small videos on YouTube and then some Zumba too. I figured if I could do that I could start jogging some.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    thanks mz. just thought it was good info to share and actually was a post on facebook from couch-to-5k. :flowerforyou:

Ah ok. Yep great program.
This discussion has been closed.