Day 2 and I want to quit already

Options

Replies

• hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That's my 3rd profile since Feb 2013..lost all together 128 lbs..It took my 6 months to figure out how to make a post on MFP so you are pretty impressive already lol You need to motivate yourself but it has to come from yourself. One million people can tell you.. you are fat and you will still think they are insulting you...when you ready, you are ready :) Of course you are hungry at the start but you have to train your will power..dont give up..greetings from UK size 12...use to be 26 :)
  • mlyn627
    mlyn627 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Gaww...all the support!! Thank you Thank you! I will reevaluate my calories and make some changes. I know I couldn't possibly keep this up!
    How do I make my diary available to view?
    Thanks again for the support!
  • hortensehildegarde
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies!

I am 5'4 230lb 40 yo. I set my goal to be 1.5 and my calories are at 1370. I have been trying to get protein in but I'm probably blowing it! I guess I am so used to eating whatever, whenever I want that it's a shock to my system. I haven't exercised yet, last time I tried my knees hurt and I just honestly haven't wanted to again...yet.

our stats are almost exactly the same! (5'5" 231lb 37yr old)- I set my goal to .5 to start and it's been pretty easy so far. My calories are at 1930 and I am not having trouble staying in there, I still eat the usual foods I used to but I eat less of them and a lot more veggies with them. I am not exercising either and by keeping to the 1930 ish calories I am losing even faster than the .5 so far. I figure it's a good way to ease in then I can up my goal later if it goes too slow and feels like I can still stick to it.

I've tried lower calorie amounts before and it DID. NOT. WORK.- 1200/1300 was WAY too restrictive for me! There is a HUGE difference for me between 1300 and 1900 and I am still losing! (also I am SUPER sedentary so on top of not exercising I am a huge couch potato. Washing dishes or going to the grocery store is "activity" for me)
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Yes, it gets easier as you log your food and find out what days have worked for you and which ones have not. You learn what's good to eat for you. For example, for me, I like to eat supper, so I save calories for that.

What people have said here- it is all about patience and logging your food accurately. I had 4 weeks of no weight loss, then a sudden big drop. Of-course it isn't easy, but we didn't get overweight overnight, so it stands to reason that we can't shift the weight instantly either. Good luck.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    From your profile: "This time is it, this time I won't quit!"

Quitting is the only way you can fail. As others have said, adjust your calories so you're eating enough.

Exercise is good! But if you don't exercise, all is not lost. I had to lose 60 pounds before I could tackle the idea of exercise, too.

Make good on that promise to yourself. Hunger is temporary, and can be fixed without going over calories. Losing weight is a gift to yourself that could last you the rest of your LONGER, HEALTHIER life.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're at a larger deficit than is realistic for you. Did you choose a 2 pound per week weight loss goal? If so, try cutting it to 1. You need to find a way that you can stick with it.

This ^^^^
    It seems people who try to lose 2 or more lbs. a week eating 1200 calories have a harder time.
    My calories were set at 1590 starting...sedentary for 1 lb. a week loss ( I usually lose around 2 and 1/2 lbs. a week)
    I even upped my calories recently when MFP dropped them to 1420 My BMR is around 1520-1576
    I'm still losing at 1620
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You do not have to starve to lose weight. The only thing that finally worked for me was coming to the realization that the FOOD MATTERS. To be healthy I need to eat properly and a healthy body will lose excess fat stores. My idea of what it means to "eat properly" or what is "healthy food" had to change drastically from all the advice I'd heard most of my life. For instance, animal foods and fat are NOT "bad". Filling up on low calorie, high volume processed foods is not "good". But others here will tell you that anything and everything is JUST calories in and calories out.... and as long as I stuck to that advice, I failed and failed and failed.

I hope you persevere and find what works for you. Quitting definitely won't work.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Just remember that this isn't an all or nothing deal. If you mess up one day don't use that as a reason to quit all together.

There is a book called The Beck Diet Solution that might be of interest to you. It's not a diet plan, but it focuses on changing your mindset and building healthy habits while losing weight.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    So, you can set your goal at 1.5 pounds a week, burn yourself out after a month and have lost a grand total of 6 pounds. Or, you could drop it down to 1 pound, not make yourself miserable and stick with it for a year, after which you will have lost 52 pounds. Which one sounds better?
  • cindyawhitlock
    Options
    Your thinking too much... Relax... This is not an overnight project. It takes time and your body will adapt. It will adapt to less food, more exercise, your mind set will start changing. But, BUT.... You need to allow it to happen. Being frantic over being hungry is a state of mind. Get more control of that. I promise you, it will get better and easier and when you start losing more and more over time, you will feel and look Great!

:smile:
  • binterla
    binterla Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with u plastics. I origyinally lost 160lbs. Over a two year period by eating about every two hours and including lots of protein. This is just my 6th day on MFP...and I have already lost 5lb.
  • marthalgutierrez92
    Options
    Please let us see your diary.

Don't give up it gets easier

I'm over 300 pounds and it's super hard for me, but
    I've changed my mindset. That's where it begins.

Make sure you're not giving up because of how little calories you're eating.
    Or because all you're eating is a carrot.

Have a bite of dark chocolate.

Look for some healthy recipes/replacements.

You will be ok, hang in there it only gets easier
    and it feels fantastic!
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Click on food n in that tool bar click on settings ... then scroll down to the bottom where you see Diary Sharing n choose either public or friends only
    Gaww...all the support!! Thank you Thank you! I will reevaluate my calories and make some changes. I know I couldn't possibly keep this up!
    How do I make my diary available to view?
    Thanks again for the support!
  • mlyn627
    mlyn627 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ok I made my diary public. Don't judge me too harshly, I don't have a ton of great options in the house.
  • MystifiedFluff
    MystifiedFluff Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies!

I am 5'4 230 lb 40 yo. I set my goal to be 1.5 and my calories are at 1370. I have been trying to get protein in but I'm probably blowing it! I guess I am so used to eating whatever, whenever I want that it's a shock to my system. I haven't exercised yet, last time I tried my knees hurt and I just honestly haven't wanted to again...yet.

You may want to rethink your 1,370 calorie goal. I don't claim to be an expert at this, but if I use the same calculators/sites I am for myself, which are giving me results so far, you are trying to eat less than you probably should.

Based on your stats and estimating a sedentary activity level, you need roughly 2,041 calories each day to stick to your current weight. If you go by a 'normal' weight for your stats (145 lbs), you would need 1,577 calories a day to maintain that weight. So, you can see why I think 1,370 is too low.

I've given myself daily and weekly ranges to work with since some days are better than others and a high day can easily be offset by a string of great days. I have a range that is my ideal weight number (1,577 would be yours) up to my current weight's maintenance number (2,041 would be yours). I then try to hit within that range, the lower the better, but as long as my weekly intake is under the weekly number (yours would be 14,287) I know I'm going to lose, even if it's just 0.4 lbs.

So, you may want to see how your intake stats match up to your daily range of 1,577 - 2,041. It may help you feel less deprived if you start near the high end of the range, then creep towards the lower end.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you may need to increase your calories. I was about to quit not long ago. I was starving all the time, and I had hit a plateau. So, following some advice here, I reset my goals which subsequently raised my calories by about 500. Once I raised my calories, I actually started losing weight again. I've also been a lot less hungry. I'm not saying I'm not ever hungry, but it's not nearly the struggle it was before. I find more often than not I am satisfied after eating where before I wasn't. I also found that eating small frequent meals helped me. I usually eat 5 to 6 times a day. And keep drinking a lot of water. Sometimes your body can mistake thirst for hunger. Plus, try out different foods. I find that, for whatever reason, some foods keep me satisfied a lot longer than others even if they are similar in terms of calories and fat. One thing that has helped me is eating greek yogurt for breakfast. If you can handle dairy, you might want to try some. Find a good quality brand. I usually get Chobani. Get the plain rather than flavored as flavored often has quite a bit of sugar. I add some granola and fruit like blueberries. Keeps me satisfied for hours. I find that if I eat a filling breakfast like that, it makes things easier throughout the day.
  • _smartbroker
    _smartbroker Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    edit: wrong thread :ohwell:
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Don't quit!! I saw what you ate yesterday and you BARELY went over your calories. And I haven't had pork rinds in years (stupid heartburn). It's ok with what you ate. Just keep going. :smile:
  • briimariiie
    briimariiie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!

I bet you could do 1800 cals! 1300 is so low! I could never do that either lol. Don't give up, you'll look back in 2 months and be SO GLAD you didn't! Hang in there! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising, then 1300 may be just too low for you. I have a female client close to your stats currently and I have her eating 1800. And she's losing just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition