Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

veggie side to go with goulash?

what veggie would you pair with goulash? normally we have corn, but i that won't work this time. also stuck on what fruit would go well. any suggestions?

Replies

• wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    I'd go for brokkoli or green beans. And fruit...well depends on the season, I think now apples and oranges would do!
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    I'd serve some variation of a tomato salad (with parsley and basil, cucumbers, lemon juice, olive oil, maybe a bit of cheese if that's your style). Something with a little acid in it to cut through the heaviness of the goulash.
    I know it's not in season, but stone fruit for dessert: peaches, plums.
  • eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    Hello!!! I am from Hungary, and we usually eat it with cucumber with sour cream. Peal the cucumber, slice it up, and salt it a little bit. Then put it away for a few hours, so the slices will release the access water, then drain them. Once they are drained you mix it up with a little sour cream ( for weight loss, use fat free sour cream), add black pepper and paprika for more spice.
    It is delicious and it is very easy to make!!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    For fruit I would def. go with the citrus or apples. The citrus is amazing right now. For veggies what about a salad? Or beets? Maybe a beet salad? That would go well together. If your family isn't into beets, French green beans would be good too, I think. Ooo, or sweet potato!? (edited to add: maybe not sweet potato b/c there is potato in it, duh. I forgot :blushing: )

Ohh, those cucumbers sound soooo good.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Hello!!! I am from Hungary, and we usually eat it with cucumber with sour cream. Peal the cucumber, slice it up, and salt it a little bit. Then put it away for a few hours, so the slices will release the access water, then drain them. Once they are drained you mix it up with a little sour cream ( for weight loss, use fat free sour cream), add black pepper and paprika for more spice.
    It is delicious and it is very easy to make!!!

i might have to do this. it sounds great!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    I am totally into spinach right now so my first thought was a spinach salad, lately it's just been raw spinach & sundried tomatoes but I love to make one with raw spinach, cranberries & walnuts or pecans and I make a hot honey/mustard dressing to go over it. Making it tomorrow now!
  • godblessourhome
    for the fruit, apples, oranges, kiwi, raspberries, bananas and pears are out.

for the veggies, asparagus, corn, green beans, green pepper, jalapeno peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, yukon gold potatoes and zucchini are out.

keep the suggestions coming please. :)
  • godblessourhome
    thanks everyone for the help! i went with salad for the goulash and the cucumbers with chili. :)

sunday - halibut over angelhair pasta with asparagus, olives and tomatoes
    grilled corn with romano
    raspberries in whipping cream

monday - turkey and gouda sandwiches with green pepper slices
    green beans
    string cheese
    oranges

tuesday - broccoli and fontina cheese soup
    garlic bread
    sauteed mushrooms
    sliced apples with peanut butter

wednesday - garlic lime pork loin
    yukon gold potatoes
    cooked carrots
    cottage cheese
    kiwi

thursday - seared scallops with cauliflower, browned butter and basil
    cheddar jalapenos with chipolte raspberry sauce
    zucchini and black beans
    pears

friday - leftovers

saturday - goulash
    salad with feta, red onions and creamy italian dressing
    blue raspberry jello
    green grapes

sunday - wheat berry chili
    cucumbers in sour cream with paprika
    nutella banana wontons

i'm going to be posting the broccoli and fontina cheese soup recipe so please stop by my blog and check it out. :)http://www.everythingisbetterwithcheese.blogspot.com
    dawn