Eating healthy is expensive!

Options
1235»

Replies

• princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    In my area we have Kroger, Publix, Aldi and Walmart. I am very attentive to the weekly sales papers. I try to plan out meals for the week and buy what is needed. I keep tons of Kroger Frozen veggies they are usually 1.00 a pack and go on sale from time to time as low as .88 a pack. Currently apples are in season, so my go to fruit for snacks will pretty much be apples.

Publix has lots of great buy one get one free sales, those are the times I stock up on Natural peanut butter and stuff like that. I also coupon on as much as I can to round out the costs. For example sure you may not find many coupons for fresh produce, but if you find coupons for say laundry detergent then that's more money available for groceries.

I also signed up with kroger to receive coupons and they sometimes send coupons like $2 off a $10 purchase from the produce department, $2 off a $10 purchase in the meat department etc.....

Aldi is great for veggies and fruits they have whole pineapples for .99 sometimes. Baby carrots .69 for a 1lb bag. etc

It's just my daughter and I but I am also getting her into eating healthier, and trust me my budget is tighter than tight.
  • Karenkeatinge
    Karenkeatinge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try buying frozen vegetables so you are not throwing out stuff that is out of date from your fridge every week. Frozen berries as well are a great idea and perfect for smoothies they are much cheaper than fresh berries. When I started I bought way too much fresh food for the week and half of it would go to waste as I didnt plan my meals well enough in advance and bought too much of certain foods.
    Now I only buy frozen spinach, broccoli, cauliflower and berries and that brings the bill down a bit. Try planning what you are going to eat for the week before you go shopping and have a list. prep is key for good food choices.
  • Navtendon
    Options
    Understood. The cost of real food sucks.

But diabetes and other chronic diseases may be more expensive depending on your health care coverage.