Elliptical trainer method to burn the most calories

Options
Based on your experience, what settings on the elliptical (be it preset or manual) produce the most calorie burn per unit of time? This can include changes in resistance, speed, and incline. Thanks! it would be useful know

Replies

• jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bumpp
  • jasveersingh925
    jasveersingh925 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I up the resistance. It's a lot harder, you don't go as far in km, but by god do you feel the burn and you can see the calorie ticker going up.

Also, contributes to a nice bubble butt :)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I don't have incline on the elliptical I use just speed and resistance. I use my HRM to gauge and aim for 70% max HR rate while varying those. Resistance gives the best bang for the buck, but some days I don't feel like pushing that hard and I don't want to tire my legs out.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Set the elliptical to the highest resistance and incline and pedal as fast as the mechanical limits of the elliptical will allow.
  • fernlori
    fernlori Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sino19
    sino19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    HILL programme
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Set the elliptical to the highest resistance and incline and pedal as fast as the mechanical limits of the elliptical will allow.
    This would be the correct answer. The highest resistance and highest speed one can handle will burn the most calories in just about any cardio exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Yeah I just up the resistance. Typically a 45 min elliptical sesh I'll burn anywhere from 450 to 700 cals (depending on how fast I'm going and for how long). I also wear a HRM.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    vary it up from time to time..also could do intervals, tempo, etc
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I do the hill setting and up the resistance, and make sure that I am actively pushing and pulling the arms, sometimes I "run" on it and take my hands off, and pump my arms.