Question...what would you do?

Options
So my next door neighbor has three dogs. They are fairly large dogs one of them is a pit-bull mix and the other two are blue heeler mutts. I have a miniature schnauzer. I walk my dog on a leash everyday. I cross the street when I leave my house, make a big circle around the neighborhood and come back. Yesterday, she was outside with her dogs and they rushed across the street and tried to bite my dog. She called them, they came back, and she apologized. This time I was on my return trip to the house and they were out again and rushed across the yard toward us. This time I picked up my dog because I didn't want him to get bitten. My dog started barking like crazy because he was afraid and the dogs were surrounding me so he was trying to protect me as well. The little kid she has started yelling at me saying my dog was mean. She told him to shut up and rushed the dogs in the house without saying a word to me. I checked and there are no leash laws in New Mexico so she can have her dogs in her yard unleashed. However, I really don't want to get attacked. Should I report her? Take a different route? Talk to her about it? Maybe let her know when I walk him so she can keep her dogs inside?? Something else? This is my form of exercise, so its important to me to resolve this. I want to be able to exercise safely. Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, keep in mind that she is my neighbor so I don't want to start a war...

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Go over to her house without your dog and bring up your concern. Something like, "Hi, I walk my dog along [public space] and I'm uncomfortable when your dogs come to greet us. The dogs don't get along and I'm worried about a dog fight. How would you best like to handle this?"

Hopefully she's interested in resolving the issue by watching the dogs when she's out/whatever. That said, when dogs approach, the worst thing you can do is pick up your dog. Picking up your dog makes your dog freak out because he can't defend himself. It also makes all other dogs infinitely more interested in your dog.

It's never a good idea to allow two dogs to greet each other on leash. It's even less fair to allow an unleashed dog to greet a leashed dog, especially if outnumbered. The dogs probably aren't aggressive; if they were really rushing across the street to bite your dog, they wouldn't have been easily called back by their owner. If it happens again (dogs running into the street), step in front of your dog and give the dogs a command/scold like, "No! Sit"
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Go over to her house without your dog and bring up your concern. Something like, "Hi, I walk my dog along [public space] and I'm uncomfortable when your dogs come to greet us. The dogs don't get along and I'm worried about a dog fight. How would you best like to handle this?"
    This.
    My neighbour's dog was pooping in my yard and I'd had enough. They weren't home when I knocked, so I wrote a very kind, non-confrontational note about my concerns. Next time I saw the neighbour, he was extremely apologetic, and it hasn't happened since. You do have to tread lightly, but hopefully your neighbour is a sensible person who can be reasoned with.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

Socialize your dog, introduce them all and the problem goes away without people being full derp.

o_O
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Is this woman mentally stable or just kind of a wreck?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Aw.

Just seems a touch entitled to me, she can fix that though, if she wants.
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    She has dogs rushing people as they go by, she leaves them unattended and unleashed, she tells a small child to "shut up", she doesn't apologize the second time around and let there be a second time, voiding the first apology and apparently is "off" enough for this poor girl trying to innocently walk her pet seek advice on a completely unrelated forum. It just sounds like the precursor for an episode of COPS.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Smells like entitlement to me.

Poor dog socialization too. Most owners properly socialize their dogs, a few don't, and do things like hold them and prevent them from properly greeting other dogs.

It's sad, but it is what it is, this isn't a dog training forum. Nor is it a "learn to play nice with my neighbor who has three dogs" forum.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    @dbmata I'm sorry but these dogs that were rushing me were not friendly. Secondly, this is how I exercise, so figured it goes in exercise...sorry to offend you. Additionally, my dog has met her dogs before. I have attempted socialization. They have just never rushed us before. I picked up my dog because the first time they rushed they tried to bite him. Maybe it wasn't the best choice but I was trying to avoid him getting bitten.

To everyone else, thanks for the advice. I have decided I will just talk to her about it. I just hate confrontation and I hope she won't be rude. I will ask her to keep her dogs inside when I walk from 3:30 to 4:00...
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes, talk to her. If it has happened more than once then it needs to be addressed. It is putting you and your dog at a disadvantage and therefore unsafe situation (and I assume you are walking on a street and therefor her dogs are running to a street, not safe for them either). She seems to already realize her dogs are "in the wrong" and calls them back, so I would think she would be open minded to prevention as apposed to raction.

On a side note, alot of runners/walkers carry a small pepper spray for dogs. I'm not advising you use it in this situation but should you ever be confronted by an aggressive dog with no owner it's a good resource. Just be careful not to spray your own dog!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Call animal control, or the police department, whoever handles animals in your jurisdiction. They can usually handle those situations and give the woman a warning or citation. It's not your problem to deal with this. If the woman wants dogs she needs to be in control of them. If not, there are consequences. Call animal control or the police and see what your options are. If you tell them you don't feel safe and the dogs are trying to attack your dog they'll usually do something about it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    To everyone else, thanks for the advice. I have decided I will just talk to her about it.

this is a good idea
    I just hate confrontation
    just think about what you want to say and be calm and collected and use words like "I feel like" not "you're dogs make me"
    and I hope she won't be rude.
    you can't control other peoples feelings- so dont' worry about if she is or isn't.
    I will ask her to keep her dogs inside when I walk from 3:30 to 4:00...
    that is a REALLY bad idea. Asking a complete stranger to alter their life to fit yours for convenience is asking for it.

Ask about socializing the dogs- or working out a solution- don't just ask her to change for you- that will NOT end well.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    As a dog owner myself I would hope that if someone has a problem with my dogs (even if it is something I should already be aware of) that they would come to me first to work out a solution. I would do what ever possible to resolve the issue myself. If she is unwilling to work this out with you, then take the next step of contacting animal control. But when you have to live near someone and your first step is to call the authorities it can make for an uncomfortable situation. Try to work it out first.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yeah b/c she can be rude while she listens to your concern and may put a leash on at least she would help the situation-some people will do stuff but aren't necessarily nice about then so be as long as she would help i guess…hopefully she won't be though…offer advice if she could put an invisible fence up..me and my hubby go walking and theres one up here and there for the dogs that like to bark at everything…its scary. my brother has 2 pit bulls and he keeps them in the fence in the back yard with a electric collar or in the house…they are huge and very intimidating and so i agree with the walking over there ..maybe get some wine for her a 5 -10 sale on one to start the conversation with a good note and def. leave it on a good note...be hones in a polite way and i don't think she should keep her dogs inside-its a shame your guises outings outside are at the same time.. Can you go earlier or later? can you wait till she gets out there and leaves then you can go? idk your schedule but that would have been my very first move unless you tried it already… please update us will you?

I agree with suttercm: be patient and ask what you can do to help her do what she can for you like meet in the middle? set up times for going outside maybe she will be willing to to go a little later so you can get your time in? Then schedule a possible play date so that way when you do go out the pups will be excited to meet with each other..has to be on neutral territory only for this to work out… my neighbors have dogs in our apartment and they are on leashes sometimes and sometimes not but the dogs get along well for the constant interaction from the other neighbor dogs they get….if you are willing to bend with her then the better outcome-maybe this is meant to happen for you 2 to become friends…idk but def. go to animal contrail at the very end…i love pit bulls and for them to take them away is heartbreaking so be patient about it :)
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'd make a visit to your neighbor. Bring a little bag of dog treats with you as a gesture of goodwill...See if she'd be willing to work with you (in a neutral environment with a positive reinforcement trainer on hand) to introduce your dogs to hers in a positive way. I'm willing to bet about 10mins of time in an environment that isn't "their territory" your dog and the other dogs will love each other. Appeal to your neighbor's love for dogs and just let her know you love dogs too and you want them to be buddies and not enemies. :)

Your dog is probably terrified (and rightly so) by the barking gang coming at him. Unfortunately the terrified/prey like behavior can make him seem like more fun to chase (and more suspicious) for a pack of other dogs. My grandma raised mini schnauzers and they can be very vocal...which again attracts unwanted attention).

I have two big dogs (one has pit in him) and have learned its critical to introduce them to new people/other dogs properly. Dogs crossing "their territory" will immediately set them off...but after following the steps a positive reinforcement trainer gave me they can meet other dogs politely and immediately love them. I also know how embarrassing it can be when my big dogs start acting crazy and scaring other people and their dogs. Your neighbor is probably super embarrassed which is why she didn't say anything the second time!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    that is a REALLY bad idea. Asking a complete stranger to alter their life to fit yours for convenience is asking for it.

Ask about socializing the dogs- or working out a solution- don't just ask her to change for you- that will NOT end well.

^ I totally agree with this. Not a good idea.
  • dbmata
    Options

^ I totally agree with this. Not a good idea.

That's why I said entitlement issues.

If a neighbor asked me that, I'd make it a point to be out and the dogs out from 3:30 to 4, because none of my neighbors have the right to impact my life like that.
  • dbmata
    Options
    @dbmata I'm sorry but these dogs that were rushing me were not friendly..
    Were you bitten?

Were they snarling and surrounding you?

Or were you expecting them to not be friendly, and so that's what you projected onto their behavior?

Anyone who knows dogs know that they run after things. They run up to things. They can be jubilant and boisterous.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Aw.

Just seems a touch entitled to me, she can fix that though, if she wants.

I'm not sure why you're saying the original poster is 'entitled' if she said the dogs tried to bite her dog. And I'm being serious - do you think she's overreacting?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    @dbmata I'm sorry but these dogs that were rushing me were not friendly..
    Anyone who knows dogs know that they run after things. They run up to things. They can be jubilant and boisterous.
    Not all dogs run after and up to people, nor should they, if they are properly trained. Dogs are not people. If a dog approaches me jubilantly, short of the owner yelling "don't worry, she's friendly", I'm not taking the time to observe the dog's signals to interpret if the dog just wants to play. The dog should be under the control of the owner at all times.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    New Mexico doesn't have a statewide leash law, but your municipality might (most do near big cities, even in NM).

I'd call the cops every time. And go to small claims court for the smallest documented scratch on you or your dogs. When dealing with you becomes a bigger problem than securing her dogs, she'll secure her dogs.

I have 2 pits and volunteer in animal rescue, and I DO NOT take *kitten* from irresponsible dog owners.