How bad is it to lose/delay your period?

Options
I walked 300 miles across Iceland in a month. Weight was totally steady, 5'6" 140 lbs, eating about 3500 calories a day. I completely skipped one period. It was 25 days late. When I was 19, I worked 70-80+ hours a week a manual labour job and I would occasionally skip periods, though I only lost 4 or 5 lbs. ranged from 135 lbs to 140 lbs. I would fall asleep at night before I could eat dinner. I'll never have a baby anyway, so I'm not worried about my fertility. How bad is it to lose your period temporarily?

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I would check with a physician.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    well if you have pcos regardless of not wanting to have children, delayed period or heavy periods that are not monitored by a dr can lead to a heavy accumulation of uterine lining which in return can cause you to be at higher risk of uterine cancer I would go to a dr and have it checked out as PCOS more common than people think and causes more issues than just fertility issues, including high risk for cancer, risk of developing diabetes regardless of your size, hormonal imbalance etc.
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Medically speaking delayed/missed periods can be caused by a number of feminine problems that are not related to fertility. You should speak with a physician and they may want to do some testing.
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    Many women do not have perfectly cyclical periods and certainly exercise/stress/weight changes can affect how often you have a period. It's definitely a good idea to talk with your doctor about whether or not your changes are anything to be concerned about, but not having a period once in a while/having a delayed period usually isn't a bad thing. It's often more concerning if a woman experiences amenorrhea (lack of a period) due to weight loss.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be going to a weight loss site for medical advise. Go to your doctor.
  • tooty12345
    tooty12345 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was depressed and incredibly stressed for 8-9 months and that stopped my menstrual cycle completely.. only now that i am feeling better and more happy, it has started =) maybe you are stressed/depressed. If not then go to your doc it could be something that needs medical attention gd luck x
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I was depressed and incredibly stressed for 8-9 months and that stopped my menstrual cycle completely.. only now that i am feeling better and more happy, it has started =) maybe you are stressed/depressed. If not then go to your doc it could be something that needs medical attention gd luck x

Just throwing this out there if you are that stressed and depressed that you lose your period you might also want to see a doctor.