I'm addicted to wine and food....

Options
I do so well.. then BAM! I want a glass of wine.. then another.. then another.. then another... then I'm willing to ruin a whole day's work with a pizza and breadsticks. Now I sit here HATING MYSELF. Vicious cycle. I lost 30 lbs... was actually down about 37, but gained about 7 back. I'm tired of it. I don't want to go to AA or rehab... I don't think I'm quite there. But I need to cut down my alcohol intake A GREAT DEAL. Any recommendations? If I'm not drinking, I can manage to eat well... So quit drinking right? Not so easy.

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation. You need to have the willpower.

The fact that you're bringing up AA and rehab, and saying "you aren't quite there" and the prospect of quitting drinking is difficult may be an indicator that your alcohol consumption isn't healthy.

If you cannot control your intake of alcohol, it's time to speak to a professional about it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in the concept of food addiction, but I do believe in alcohol addiction. And I also know that drinking to much lowers your inhibitions for other things, like food. So many you should look at the alcohol situation first and see if giving up the booze helps out the food problems.
  • baubisson
    baubisson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It might sound extreme, but you could even consider tee-totaling for a while. I went months without a drink until a few days ago when some improperly-labeled rice wine really kicked my *kitten*. What made it easy for me for so long, though, was getting really, really involved in making all kinds of other food and drinks. I've got a cooking addiction now, if anything.

Alcoholism, even in minor "wouldn't-call-it-alcoholism-yet" cases, is an actual disease with a lot of physical basis for its existence; it's by no means a purely mental addiction.
  • richo59
    richo59 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was at the same stage as you a few weeks ago. It became a habit to have a wine or two every night. Then I would eat things that I knew I shouldn't. I had no control over it once I started to drink.
    I made myself have alcohol free days four nights a week, then five nights. I then found that drinking was making me ill. I still couldn't stop.
    I got an App on my phone called CONTROL ALCOHOL.
    You listen to it every night while going to sleep. After just a few nights, I started to lose interest in drinking, and actually preferred to drink diet coke or soda water when I went out. It doesn't try to make you stop having a drink. It just makes you want to cut back.
    Worked for me.:
  • lahokz808
    Options
    I am the same way! I work out so friggen hard and on some weekends and even weeknights I would just say "one wine" then end up having another and another then... or course you get the alky munchies where you just eat crap. AND not to mention the next day if you are anything like me.... all hung over you just want to eat crappy and eat comfort foods to make the yucky go away.

I find maybe saying that you will drink once a month ( a night or weekend) and allow yourself that junk food and alcohol.... but just once a month. Now if you drink A LOT. Like every weekend... then maybe TWICE a month??? and your hangover day have a gross big brekky and then try to get some GOOD healthy food in you to cleanse.

helpful??
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I was pretty upset tonight, I almost finished my decanter of bourbon. :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The fact that you're bringing up AA and rehab, and saying "you aren't quite there" and the prospect of quitting drinking is difficult may be an indicator that your alcohol consumption isn't healthy.

If you cannot control your intake of alcohol, it's time to speak to a professional about it.

all of this. good luck!
  • afranklin85
    afranklin85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love a drink but I also like to have more than one. I find it's easier to not drink at all because one drink is enough to lower my will power and spur me on to have another and then a fatty takeaway.

I would suggest not drinking all days but one in a week. On your day off drink as much as you'd like and enjoy it.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    How often are you drinking?

I tend to save alcohol for one day a week now (especially after learning about the calories). Have always been a social drinker though so drinking wine at home alone has no joy for me. :drinker: