My feet are cracking?

Options
kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
Hi all

I know...YUCK
I've always had problems with my feet
Years years ago when I was working out, I actually fractured my foot (just by doing aerobics)
Anyway, I've been walking on my treadmill daily and noticed I have 2 cracks on my feet...one of my heel and one of my big toe
Has anyone else had this problems..any suggestions
Would switching sneakers make a difference?

Kim

Replies

• kimber607
    Options
    Hi all

I know...YUCK
    I've always had problems with my feet
    Years years ago when I was working out, I actually fractured my foot (just by doing aerobics)
    Anyway, I've been walking on my treadmill daily and noticed I have 2 cracks on my feet...one of my heel and one of my big toe
    Has anyone else had this problems..any suggestions
    Would switching sneakers make a difference?

Kim
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    Hi Kimber.

I went to school and worked as an Esthetician for a year or so, didn't care for it... ANYWAY. I would really suggest, if you can, to get a pedicure. The skin on our feet harden and go tough because it grows to cushion your bones, that is why we get callouses and such. if the skin is thicker and overly dry the cracks like this happen, and boy oh boy do they hurt. If you can not make it in for a pedicure and if the cracks aren't too deep, I suggest applying either a very heavy foot lotion or vasaline to your feet before bed and sleeping with your socks on, keeps you from rubbing all the cream off and helps it absorb into your feet. Try not to leave it too long because the cracks will only get worse.

Another is , ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear socks with your shoes , and when running,jogging,walking makes sure your socks and shoes are breathable. If your feet are sweating this could be another cause for the cracks. Good Luck!
  • kimber607
    Options
    Thanks so much for the recs

Kim
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I found a link recently that talked about soaking your feet in vinegar. I am going to look for it now since it is the season for bare feet I guess we should get started.

I have had cracked heel forever! lotion at night with socks has never worked for me.

I will post the link in few minutes....
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    I have the same problem. I found a link recently that talked about soaking your feet in vinegar. I am going to look for it now since it is the season for bare feet I guess we should get started.

I have had cracked heel forever! lotion at night with socks has never worked for me.

Your right hun , it doesn't work for everyone. But we always suggested this to clients BEFORE scheduling them for pedicures every 4 weeks. If you're the type of person to get pedicures it is suggested you have one every 6 weeks, when your heels are bad , every 4.

That said , my 13 yr old step daughters feet peel and crack all the time. It is an actual medical condition and there is an over the counter cream for it that works wonders. I'll see if I can find the name of the cream. It runs about $10-14 for a tube but it works.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Your right hun , it doesn't work for everyone. But we always suggested this to clients BEFORE scheduling them for pedicures every 4 weeks. If you're the type of person to get pedicures it is suggested you have one every 6 weeks, when your heels are bad , every 4.

That said , my 13 yr old step daughters feet peel and crack all the time. It is an actual medical condition and there is an over the counter cream for it that works wonders. I'll see if I can find the name of the cream. It runs about $10-14 for a tube but it works.

Thanks, that would be great.

Honestly, my feet are so bad, I give myself pedicures at home.
  • lietee
    lietee Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i have sever excema and the only thing that works for me to heal cracks in dry feet is galaxal base which is a mosturizer with no purfume alcohol or any other chemicals bought at the local drug store of shopping centers. And then i put on large baggies then socks the baggies hold ht e moisture in over night to allow my skin to soften so that it can actually come together and heal!! Good luck
  • Doozie
    Doozie Posts: 53
    Options
    Bag Balm works for me. I use it at night with socks on. Bag Balm is my cure all for dry skin in the winter! :wink:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem a few years ago. My feet went through it one winter because I was duck hunting really hard. They were constantly wet, dry, hot, cold, etc.

Eucerin cream and lotion worked wonders for me. I applied it liberally and then slept with socks on. I also made sure my feet were clean, dry and well cared for. After a few weeks, I was back to normal. Cornhuskers lotion has also worked on recurrences but I apply it at the first sign of trouble.