Bicycling??

Options
I am interested in starting to cycle....anyone had success with it or have tips on type of bike, etc??? I dont currently have a bike....

Replies

• spinndrift
    Options
    Cycling is pretty good as it's non impact and you should be able to burn a few hundred calories an hour (more if you put the effort in).

With regards to what kind of bike - what kind of riding are you looking at?

The choice basically boils down to three main areas:

a) Mountain bike - lots of gears, fat tyres (good cushioning), good on all surfaces and a relatively upright riding position.

b) Hybrid bike - a cross between a mountain bike and road bike, lots of gears, upright position, thinner tyres than a mountain bike - with cope with some rougher surfaces but better suited to surfaced routes.

c) Road bike - still a good spread of gears but generally less lower gears for hills, riding position is very much head down and backside up, very skinny tyres and only suitable for road use.

As for losing weight look at the stats in my signature as to what can be achieved - like all exercise if you put the effort in you get the results.

Good luck.
  • michele0101
    Options
    Thanks Andy. I am looking at riding on wooded trails but would like to also use biking paths, etc....guess i will need a mountain bike for such varied terrain. Have had success with walking, just looking to vary my routine. Thanks for your response!
  • richbel
    Options
    My wife and I have had great success from Cycling. I'm almost down 60 her a solid 100. We started on mountain bikes and have moved onto road rikes. Bikes in general can be very expensive, but they are worth spending the money on a good one. Craigs list is a great alternative to buying new. Go to your local bike shop and see what fits right, make model ect. then have a look online. Like all businesses everyone is struggling to get by, but to purchase something decent you'll be looking at 700 and up.

Good luck,
    Rich
  • michele0101
    Options
    Thanks Rich, congrats on you and your wife's success. I think i will have to start with a less expensive bike to see if its something im going to enjoy.....if it becomes a passion, I'll shell out the big bucks.....do you belong to any cycling clubs, etc??

1861591.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • spinndrift
    Options
    I've gone down a very similar route to Rich in that I started out on a mountain bike. I bought this second hand and it was about 12 years old but worked and did the trick. Then when I was really upping the mileage I treated myself to a road bike but I still have the mountain bike.

One thing I would recommend is a pair of padded cycling short or liners (liners go under your normal clothes if you don't want to wear lycra) as these will help protect your undercarriage.

The other good thing about cycling is that its also a form a transport and you can go as quick or slowly as you like.

Conrats on the weight you and your good lady have lost.