5.6 pound GAIN in 2 days... AHHH!

Options
OK ... so I promise you have I have been within my calorie goals... and making ok choices. No different than usual... I just havent had the time to log it...
Friday I ran a half marathon distance... and gained 2 pounds the next day. I figured ok ... just a little bit of water weight, right?
This morning, I am up another 3.6 pounds... for a total of 5.6 pounds in 2 days!

I am totally freaking out ... is this even possible?

Replies

• jenjen84
    jenjen84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When you run longer distances your body starts holding on to more for a few days or so, just in case you burn that many calories again you body want to be ready!

I ran the marathon in October and the week after I gained and lost 7 pounds!

Good luck with your half marathon at the end of the month!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Hide the scale honey!!! You are doing what you are supposed to. You are getting healthy.
  • anvy0530
    anvy0530 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    It's not real weight gain. Running long distances stresses your body and your body deals with it in weird ways. It should go away in a few days, don't sweat it. And GREAT job on your run!!
  • flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Watch it closely, quick weight gain can be due to heart problems also.

http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/symptoms/p/syweightgain.htm

Great job on running the marathon! Hope it clears up for you.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    How many calories does it take to gain 5.6 pounds of fat? 19,600? Did you eat that many over your allotment? even 1/2 or a 1/4? Probably not. Don't stress it, just manage the things you can control (diet and exercise) and let your body do what makes it happy. Won't be long and it will be left with no choice but to fall in place and make YOU happy. :)

Congrats on the milage, that's awesome!
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Think about it rationally: each pound is made up of 3500 calories, so unless you ate 5.6 times that many calories over and above what you were supposed to eat, you did not really gain that weight. Wait a week to weigh yourself again.

I have noticed that my weight can go up ridiculously in the week before my period starts (had been as much as 4 pounds in a day or 2). So, timing may have something to do with it as well if it is around that time. Mine always goes back down after I start, so I just keep that in mind.
  • caseydarden
    Options
    It's not real weight gain.

Second that.....my weight fluctuates within about an 8 pound range on a daily basis. It's normal.

Casey
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Put the scales away and quit weighing yourself daily, as your weight fluctuates quite often. None of us ever weigh the same thing all day every day and there is a lot more to this whole weight loss process than your scales can reflect. You are exercising and eating healthy! Don't fret!!!!!!! You are doing exactly what you should be doing and your body will reward you; don't focus on the numbers. Kudos to you for all your hard work!
  • ryanmelissa09
    Options
    I feel your pain with the gain. I always am up or down 5lbs and its saddens me everytime i go up on the scale. But it always happens after a day of intense working out because I do drink way more water than I usually do. So give it a few days and Im sure you will see a drop!

:)
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Thanks I feel slightly better now.
    The comment about 19,000 some calories makes beautiful sense though - no way that I ate that much over!
    :)
  • swadepgh
    swadepgh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am also a distance runner and gain after long runs. I ran 10 yesterday and was up 3 pounds on the scale this morning. I know how frustrated you are. It will come off though.

Your muscles are retaining extra water to repair themselves and your body is hanging on because it has no idea that you aren't going to run 13 miles again today. It wants to be prepared in case you do. Give it a rest day or light day and things will go back to normal later in the week.

Great job on your run and I'm very impressed with your 2011 mileage goal! =)