Zumba - Calories burned approximation

Options
I know this question has been going around and gets asked alot - so I figured out that if a 150 lb person burns 800 cals in 1 hour, I probably burn about 700 cals (136) per hour which breaks down to 70 calories every 10 minutes. This is not a precise number but probably a fair ESTIMATE.

Hope this is helpful to all those just starting out.

Replies

• EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Its so hard to get an exact number unless you have a HRM or do the calculations with HR yourself. I have burned 1,000 calories in 55 minutes in a zumba class once according to a HRM I borrowed from a friend. So, measuring that is really an accurate way to judge calories burned in my opinion.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I usually burn 100 calories every 10 minutes. Some to be on the safe side figure 75 for every 10 minutes until you can get a hrm.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - there's so many factors not being considered in that calculation that makes it very imprecise. But I'd rather estimate on the low side and eventually find out that I'm burning more than to estimate high and then wonder why nothing's happening. Err on the side of caution as the saying goes.

I agree that an HRM is the best way - but I can't afford a decent one right now so I have to do the best I can without one and I'm sure I'm not the only person on here that has this kind of complication.
  • justin_time
    Options
    the most accurate way is to use a HRM, however for a quick easy to use tool based on metabolic averages using your weight and workout intensity level try http://sites.google.com/site/zumbacaloriesburnt