Oatmeal

Options
What kind is best? I have some One Minute Quaker Oats and I add some cinnamon and brown sugar ( no cal). I thought it was suppose to make you feel full but it doesn't. I find within an hour or so I am looking for more. Is there a better kind? Any tips or ideas would be great!

Replies

• LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal does make me full! Its really amazing actually. I eat it for breakfast or a snack and it fills me up for a while... I haven't timed it though. But it works best for me.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Instant oats are highly processed and will not fill you up the way the less processed ones will. Quick Oats are a better choice though require a bit more cooking (about 5-10 mins). Steel cut oats are the best as they are as close to unprocessed as possible. They can be made the night before in the crock pot.. just use a timer or keep your slow cooker on low and you will wake up to a yummy hot healthy breakfast.
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do the Hannaford brand Low-Sugar Instant Oatmeal. 120 calories and it keeps me full until my morning snack (about 3.5 hours between breakfast and snack).
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats...they take forever to cook (30+ minutes), so I generally make a batch on Sunday in the crock pot that will last me through the week.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I use the old fashioned rolled oats and they definitely keep me full for a long, long time!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Hmm maybe I will have to try the steel cut. The bag I have is not the small instant packages and the ingredients says; 100% ROLLED OATS. NATURALLY CONTAINS OAT BRAN

ETA: I am in Canada and I am not sure what brand has them. On the quaker.ca website I don't even see steel cut.
  • mariabrophy
    Options
    Never thought of cooking oatmeal in a crockpot the night before - what a great idea!
  • mariabrophy
    Options
    How do you reheat during the week? What's the best way?
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I loave Oatmeal, the proper stuff not the processed stuff, I never feel full after the processed stuff.

If I know im gonna be rushed the next day, i put some fruit juice, frozen fruit and the oats in a bowl, in the fridge, the fruit will defrost, and the oats will soak up some of the juice, add yogurt, milk, or with extra fruit juice put in the microwave or the hob.
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Instant oats are highly processed and will not fill you up the way the less processed ones will. Quick Oats are a better choice though require a bit more cooking (about 5-10 mins). Steel cut oats are the best as they are as close to unprocessed as possible. They can be made the night before in the crock pot.. just use a timer or keep your slow cooker on low and you will wake up to a yummy hot healthy breakfast.
    I never even thought about putting it in the crock pot!!! Awesome idea love it :)
  • cagregg
    cagregg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like my oatmeal with salt and pepper instead of sugar. It's really quite good.
  • ckgis4me
    Options
    Hmm maybe I will have to try the steel cut. The bag I have is not the small instant packages and the ingredients says; 100% ROLLED OATS. NATURALLY CONTAINS OAT BRAN

ETA: I am in Canada and I am not sure what brand has them. On the quaker.ca website I don't even see steel cut.

Try the natural food section of your grocery. Or find a nautral food store or a Whole Foods.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    What kind is best? I have some One Minute Quaker Oats and I add some cinnamon and brown sugar ( no cal). I thought it was suppose to make you feel full but it doesn't. I find within an hour or so I am looking for more. Is there a better kind? Any tips or ideas would be great!
    Whatever brand of oats you choose, you might want to check the price at Amazon.

I've been buying from Amazon for almost a decade and I buy from them because they have an amazing selection, their return policy is superb, their prices are usually much lower than any retail establishment, and because they deliver to my front door. Oh, for food you can sometimes get a "subscription" which knocks off 15% and you'll automatically get the order every 1, 3, or 6 months.

I just did a search for "oatmeal" and got 50 hits (though one is for soap!)

Check out "Amazon Prime" - it's $75 per year and all orders ship second day at no additional charge or $3.99 overnight.

Not all items are great deals. I just priced yogurt and it's much cheaper than CostCo. OTOH, I've bought everything from jalapeños in adobo sauce to a 58" plasma TV with great prices, fast shipping, and home delivery.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    In Canada try Bulk Barn.
  • thelima
    thelima Posts: 234
    Options
    My absolute favorite is McCann's Irish Oatmeal. They have a quick cooking version of their steel-cut oats that doesn't take horribly long to cook.

I usually buy it at various local supermarkets. I'm in the DC area, but I also was able to buy it when I lived in various cities in Texas.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Ok so I was able to purchase steel cut oats today what is the best way to prepare? I like the idea of the crock pot but how do I go about it? Do you section it up the next morning for the week and just pop it in the fridge? I guess I could go and have a look at the package to see what it suggest but please send me any tips or ideas. I am a silly girl excited to try oatmeal...lol.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Aldi's will have quick cook steel cut oats this coming week, it's advertised in my area for $1.89 for 24 oz. It's really good and cooks in the microwave in 5 min!
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Woud also love more info on using the crock pot! Water, milk, etc, how much?
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Slow Cooker Oatmeal from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Oatmeal/Detail.aspx

Ingredients
    1 cup oats
    3 cups water
    1 pinch salt
    1 cup half-and-half cream
    1/4 cup brown sugar, or to taste

Directions
    Just before going to bed, combine the oats and water in a slow cooker. Set on Low, cover, and let cook overnight. In the morning, stir in the salt and half-and-half. Scoop into bowls, and sprinkle brown sugar over the top.

**I used 4 cups of water instead of using the 1/2 and 1/2, but it still got alittle done around the edges, and it's really super creamy--definately worth trying even if you have to plat w/ the recipe alittle!