Could my body be...confused??

Options
Hi all!! Looking for encouragement and friendly advice! I'm not new to "dieting" by any means. I have tried Low-Carb, Keto, Gluten free, low cal....it's been a roller coaster. A crap coaster, if you will. But the last few times around I've decided to knock that crap off and am sticking to the cals in vs. cals out route, because I get that should be all I need at this point. I am a woman, 34 yrs old, 5'6" tall, weigh 212, have taken all my measurements, and after weeks of keeping serious track (yes I weigh and measure everything) of absolutely EVERYTHING I eat on MFP nothing has budged. Not my weight OR measurements. This is how I end up quitting. Could my body be confused from all the crap I've done to it the last couple years?? How long should I expect to have to wait to see even the smallest results? I don't have an exercise program yet, but I'm a pretty active person, not just a couch dweller, and have been eating between 1400-1650 calories every day for almost 2.5 weeks. I have had my thyroid and blood sugar checked and I'm fine. I drink water throughout the day.

I just don't want to get discouraged again and quit. I want to go from 212 to 150, and it is so discouraging to see NOTHING :(

Any advice?

Am I just not giving it enough time and expecting too much too soon??

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend you open your diary, then people can take a look and offer more informed ideas.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Could my body be confused from all the crap I've done to it the last couple years??

nope. that definitely isn't it.

Typically 2.5 weeks is just barely enough time. Give it another week or two- make sure you're really being accurate with food choices- and go for some walks- I find when I start doing some extra cardio if I'm a little "stuck" it helps get the weight moving again.

at 200 something pounds eating 1500 a day- you should be losing- I'd open the diary and let people look as well- you could be doing something you're missing someone might catch.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The crap coaster may have taken a toll and your body is readjusting. Give it at least a month. Personally I don't lose unless I exercise. This is partially do to being hypo thyroid and the fact that my true daily calorie burn is probably a bit lower than the MFP calculated amount.
  • McGristy
    McGristy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! I will go in and open it now...
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    anytime I change an aspect of my fitness life; calorie intake, exercise regimen, whatever, it takes my body three weeks to adjust and realize that it's "gonna be okay." hang in there. you're worth it. :flowerforyou:
  • McGristy
    Options
    Could my body be confused from all the crap I've done to it the last couple years??

nope. that definitely isn't it.

Typically 2.5 weeks is just barely enough time. Give it another week or two- make sure you're really being accurate with food choices- and go for some walks- I find when I start doing some extra cardio if I'm a little "stuck" it helps get the weight moving again.

at 200 something pounds eating 1500 a day- you should be losing- I'd open the diary and let people look as well- you could be doing something you're missing someone might catch.

Thank you so much, this makes me feel tons better. I did open the diary, so please lmk what you might think. I'm going to start walking, I do every Wednesday during my daughter's soccer practice for an hour around the track, but I'm going to expand to 4 days.
  • McGristy
    Options
    anytime I change an aspect of my fitness life; calorie intake, exercise regimen, whatever, it takes my body three weeks to adjust and realize that it's "gonna be okay." hang in there. you're worth it. :flowerforyou:

:heart: :flowerforyou: :smile: Thank you so much:bigsmile:
  • NurseandMom1981
    NurseandMom1981 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Several days I see you have over 200 in carbs and only 40 grams of protein. Maybe try increasing the protein and cutting out some of the carbs and see if you see a change. JMO
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You go over calories a lot and your sodium intake is through the roof. You need to cut sodium. And either stay within calorie range or add exercise.
  • McGristy
    Options
    You go over calories a lot and your sodium intake is through the roof. You need to cut sodium. And either stay within calorie range or add exercise.

To be fair, I go over the 1400 calories I set myself in MFP, but stay below 1650 for the most part. I try to stay within that range. I do eat a lot of salt I will admit. I definitely need to reel that in.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    What does mfp want you at to lose? Why put it at 1400 then?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I see you just changed your daily goal so hopefully other folks will keep that in mind. When I first went in, it was 1574, now it's 1400. I also noticed you were over some days but on average you were only over by like 50 calories and that wouldn't be enough to make you not lose weight.

1) The 1400 might help you out. I know for me, it can help to have a lower goal so I don' have to worry about any logging errors and it gives me wiggle room if I decide I need an extra snack. In the back of my mind, I know going over 100 or so isn't going to ruin my progress.

2) I also noticed you have VERY high sodium intake about half the time. That won't make you gain actual weight but it will mask weight loss and cause fluctuations on the scale, especially if you're not drinking enough fluids or sweating enough to counteract it. Try swapping out for more natural foods to cut down on the sodium and up your water intake.

Also, when you do start working out, do eat back earned calories but be careful about eating them all back as some of the exercise database listings overestimate. Try for about half...

Good luck!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! Looking for encouragement and friendly advice! I'm not new to "dieting" by any means. I have tried Low-Carb, Keto, Gluten free, low cal....it's been a roller coaster. A crap coaster, if you will. But the last few times around I've decided to knock that crap off and am sticking to the cals in vs. cals out route, because I get that should be all I need at this point. I am a woman, 34 yrs old, 5'6" tall, weigh 212, have taken all my measurements, and after weeks of keeping serious track (yes I weigh and measure everything) of absolutely EVERYTHING I eat on MFP nothing has budged. Not my weight OR measurements. This is how I end up quitting. Could my body be confused from all the crap I've done to it the last couple years?? How long should I expect to have to wait to see even the smallest results? I don't have an exercise program yet, but I'm a pretty active person, not just a couch dweller, and have been eating between 1400-1650 calories every day for almost 2.5 weeks. I have had my thyroid and blood sugar checked and I'm fine. I drink water throughout the day.

I just don't want to get discouraged again and quit. I want to go from 212 to 150, and it is so discouraging to see NOTHING :(

Any advice?

Am I just not giving it enough time and expecting too much too soon??

You eat more than you say ( at last from what I can see in your log ) and ingest a lot of simple carbs, and processed foods like cheese and lots of snack items. They all bring your salt intake to really, really high levels. I think you need to incorporate more fruit, vegetables and other healthy items, because your body might retain a lot of water with all that salt. Also, some people need more than 2.5 weeks before things start to move.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    When I pull all of your data I show the following:

You've logged a total of two weeks, from 9/10 to today.

You have some days in your diary with 500-700 calories logged. In one of them it shows you ate a breakfast sandwich and nothing else all day. In another it shows that you ate a small breakfast and lunch and nothing else. No snacks, no dinner/etc.

Most of the time when I see these things the culprit is inaccurate logging. You are not actually logging everything that you eat.
    Now if you find yourself getting angry please understand that this is not me calling you dishonest--I'm actually trying to help.

Many people do this and to some extent it also happens in people who are well trained in tracking food intake.

The likelihood is that you are eating more than you are logging.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Now taking that into consideration there are other issues at play here that could explain your lack of weight loss.

1) It's only been two weeks. If you have started an exercise program in this time frame then it could simply be fluid retention masking fat loss.

2) While this wouldn't explain a complete lack of weight loss it would probably be beneficial for you to increase your protein intake at the expense of carbohydrate largely for satiety purposes but there are additional benefits as well.
  • NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just don't give up. It takes time!! Don't get discouraged!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    you already have been given some good advice, I will just add that you need to give it longer, it takes time for your body to adjust to eating a bit differently..keep going and you will reap the rewards :)
    and try to get moving each day in some way, even starting off with a 15 min walk, it might feel like a lot of effort but you will come to really enjoy those walks and you will love earning extra calories from that.
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    First, I am not a doctor...
    In looking at your diary over the past 7 days or so, you have several days where you calories were >200 above your goal. When I was losing the weight I lost, I stayed w/in 150 calories + / - the goal. I think your Saturday you were +600 above goal.
    Second observation is you take in a lot of sodium / salt so that could be causing you to retain more water....but again, I am not a doctor - just an observation
  • McGristy
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I did scroll back through and noticed a couple days where I did forget to log my dinners (although I have been very careful!) I have been pretty seriously careful since with logging everything. We have a vegetarian in house, so it's hard to eat as much protein as others as I'm cooking for four people so we tend to have to eat similarly, but I do think I try to get a decent amount of protein in. I guess I have just been focused on the calorie content of the foods I'm eating and not the other things for right now, but I know my sodium level is not good so I will chip at that and try to find healthier snacks and just keep glugging water down. I'll check in again in a few weeks.

I really appreciate all the kind and helpful comments! You guys are awesome, and this is really hard!! HAHA
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has some stellar advice...I would definitely watch that sodium intake, I know myself if I have a high day I retain quite a bit of water. Clean that up and add in some greens and fruit...you'll start to see it head in the right direction! Good luck!
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    *waves* As someone that had similar goals (215 to 150, 15 lbs from goal now) I just wanted to say YAY go you! I'd advise checking out the stickied post about your guide to sexy pants. It was really really useful. Did I mention REALLY?

One thing you will hear over and over and over is to get a food scale and USE it. It can be a pain at the start but now I don't know what I'd do without it. It also will help you realize that yeah, you probably are over eating. A good general rule is to over estimate your calories eaten and under estimate your calories burned.

Good luck!!