Thinking about getting a food scale- recommendations?

I am thinking of buying a food scale. I looked on Amazon and of course there are often negative reviews about certain scales and some break right away, etc. What are some good, inexpensive ones out there? I noticed online that some are just flat- I'd like to have one that holds loose things such as cereal, oatmeal, and such. Any recommendations for a good one?

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    bed bath & beyond - 24.99 - digital food scale by Sharper Image.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    Walmart online has multiple digital food scales from 14.99-24.97, I purchased the Mainstays Digital Kitchen Scale, Silver years ago and it is listed for 18.97. I purchased it for my sons pinewood derby cars for boy scouts and it was spot on with their official scales. I have since used it for over a year to measure almost everything. It has four measurement settings and can be zeroized which is nice when you are adding ingredients to a dish.

In my opinion you just can’t go wrong with this scale.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/35854316 ~ mine is an older model than this one but it’s the same make.

I hope that helps.

Best fishes!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    As long as it weighs in both grams and ounces and has a tare button, any scale should do the trick.

To weigh cereal and such, place the bowl on the scale, tare it to zero, then pour in your serving.
  • Sparkles281
    Sparkles281 Posts: 14 Member
    I still have the scale I bought when I was doing Weight Watchers. It's a flat scale, but you have the option of "zeroing out" whatever you use to hold the food you are weighing (bowls and plates) so you get the true food measurement. It was 28$ when I bought it and I love it. It will give you different measurements as well such as grams, kilograms and pounds. Hope this helps! :)
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    All scales should have a Tare feature so any of them should work for you. Even my old analog scale ($5) has that.

I just bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004164SRA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works fine and has measurements in metric and standard.