walking.

Options
i just went for a 30 min walk as i do everyday. Today my food started feeling the burn 2 blocks down. I ignored it and kept going. within 10 minutes it hurt so bad i was forcing myself to walk. On the way back home the pain was so intese mhy leg felt numb from pain. yes, at this point the pain was in my whole leg! Now i finally made it back and my leg hurts so bad i can scream!

has this happened to anyone?

Replies

• bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I would say if it keeps up go to the doctor and have it checked out. I had been running for over a year when my right knee went out on me. Now I just have to take it easy and listen to my body when it starts to yell at me. i don't know how old you are, but I'm creeping in on 40 and I'm not liking how I am more easily injured or that it takes a lot longer to recover.
    I hope it's just a one time thing and that maybe with a day or two of rest you will feel better.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it's probably a pinched nerve in your back. Something similar happens to me because my L3 and L4 vertebrae are rotated. They don't flex like normal vertebrae do, the top one grind over the bottom one and sometimes they'll pinch. (It was great fun when I had my epidural inserted between them while I was in labor for 18 hours with my son...)

Try to stretch out your back, it should help.
  • johncinarch
    Options
    I have problems with my right calf really hurting me if I did not do stretching exercises before I start to walk. You might have pulled a muscle in your leg. Make sure that you stretch before you go on a walk.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Get checked out my husband had PVD and burning is one of the symtoms
  • themostbeautifullies
    Options
    That happens to me almost everyday. I've broken my right foot about 3 or 4 times so it might be related. What I found out while doing some tests is that, besides the obvious about shoes and such, if I focus on my walking I keep forcing my ankle and the pain starts exactly as you described so I started to pay attention to something else, I even start to count or sing or whatever as long as I don't pay attention to my feet or if nothing else works I'd just slow down.
    What I'm doing now is start slowly and pick up the pace naturally.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Pain with walking can indeed be a sign of peripheral vascular disease but it should go away rapidly with rest. A more serious possiblilty would be a clot or occlusion of an artery which is a medical emergency as it can threaten the viability of the limb. This would be more likely in an older person or one who smoked but some people with cardiac rhythm problems like atrial fibrillation are at risk of throwing clots, otherwise known as emboli. Certainly nerve related problems, disc etc can cause numbness but the vascular insuffieicy if the pain is persisting is a true emergency. I would not attempt to diagnose over the internet but do check both feet and see how they look and feel compared to each other. If the painful one is more pale or white or cold then get to an ER ASAP. The other thing you can check is to check the pulses in your feet or have someone else do that. If you do not feel a pulse and if the foot is cool or pale those are the signs of arterial occlusion. If the foot is warm, has good color and good pulse then it would be less likely an acute arterial blockage and you can watch and wait, otherwise you cannot wait.. Yes I am a doctor but giving you the usual disclaimer about inability to diagnose or treat over the internet. Hopefully this will help you with some immedicate decision making.