You're the Jury: Hiking vs Walking?

LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
At what point is a walk a hike, or a hike a walk?

Where I walk my dog is on uneven terrain, up and down hills, through fields, some wooded areas, and on a trail along a creek. Granted, it's not quite as demanding as some of the state park hiking trails, but in my mind, that's hiking. Walking on the sidewalks is a walk.

What's your take?

Replies

• mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    i agree :)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    When I think Hiking, I think big inclines. I wouldn't count just a bit of rocky terrain, or walking off road. lol But I know what you mean, there is a fine line.
  • I agree. walking, to me, is what you do on a paved, or brick path, or through a mall. where as hiking is what you do on trails through fields, forests, etc....
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    The exercise database has a category for 'hiking, cross country' and another one for doing hills. I think yours would count for the cross country hiking. It gives you more calorie credit than walking but not as much as the hill hiking with a pack.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Schobert101, that's what I was thinking. It's not *mountain* hiking, but it's more effort than normal walking. I'll go with that. :smile:

And today, with unseasonably warm weather after last week's snow, it's a gloppy, squelchy, muddy mess! It was great! :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.