Using the elliptical trainer to mimic running

Options
Hello,
I recently sustained a foot injury (extensor tendonitis) and I've been told to not run (smart idea) or do any activity that involves landing on my injured foot to hard. Walking, biking, cross training, and the elliptical are ok. The thing is that I was training for a 5K before this happened and don't want to lose my progress or fitness level; I want to continue developing it so that by the time this heals (shouldn't take too long) I will have the stamina and endurance to get back into running again. What can I do on the elliptical to simulate running? Is using the machine with no resistance the same basically as running, or do you need to add resistance to match the toughness of running? Thank you, any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• jasveersingh925
    jasveersingh925 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    to add: my running program tells me I need to run a certain distance on a certain day. For example "Run 1.5 miles." I want to be able to use the elliptical for this distance and have it simulate the running. thanks
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Stair climbing is much better than elliptical if you don't have a knee injury and is still one of the better cardio workouts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is nothing like running, and the distance would not match what you would do on a treadmill. It is kind of a cross between running and biking.

I would suggest putting a floating belt on and and run in the water and go for a specified time instead of distance.
  • jasveersingh925
    jasveersingh925 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks, they don't recommend doing stair climbing due to the repetitive stress on the injury. I will keep other options open.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The elliptical can help you keep up your cardio/stamina, but most likely when you start running again you will find it alot harder than the elliptical was. Just take the time you need to heal properly and worry about running when you are fit for it again.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi. Boys do i have bad news for you!!! (sry) I have a joint disease that prevents me from real running, so i've been using an elliptical because it sort of gives you the same feel as running. (running is the only type of cardio that i'd say i actually enjoy) Lately the top of my foot has been hurting, so of course i googled it. I came to the conclusion that it was extensor tendonitis. (hey, who needs dr's when we have google :tongue: ) I have good new sneakers and make sure not to lace them too tight ect. I think the elliptical has caused this. Sorry to drop that bomb on ya, just wanted to let you know. I don't have any advice for you unfortunately but will follow this thread for idea's for my own situation.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sorry yo, the elliptical isn't a substitute for running at all. You can get cardio benefits of an elevated heart rate out of it, but that's about it. If aqua-jogging is available to you, that is an ok substitute, but you'll still be missing the impact. Best to let your injury heal, do what you can cardio-wise, and get back to it when you're 100%.