What do you eat for fat?

Options
Hi, I am allergic to nuts and I do not eat red meat, and I continually am finding myself beneath my fat macros.

I am wondering what other sources you gain your fat from? currently, mine are only coming from occasional dairy products and olive oil. I know avocados are a good source, but they aren't my favorite food.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Anything with coconut oil. I put a teaspoon in my brewed coffee and mix it with my Magic Bullet ( or you could use a blender)

It makes a nice foam on top like a cappuccino or latte and I like the flavor, to me it is slightly sweet so I put less sugar in my coffee.
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just noticed, does your nut allergy apply to coconuts?
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    are you also allergic to coconut? if not, coconut oil is an excellent source. if you drink coffee, add a tablespoon of coconut oil and let it melt. it's known as "bulletproof coffee" and gives just a hint of flavor.

you can also add melted butter (NOT margarine) to veggies, or cream cheese as a snack. fatty fish like salmon are great, and so is making sure that when you eat chicken, it has the skin on. one of my favorite things is freshly roasted chicken skin (even though i'm having to cut down for other reasons).
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    oh, one other thing... heavy cream. when i'm craving ice cream, i take frozen berries (no syrup, just flash frozen), heavy cream, a little half & half, and some vanilla liquid stevia and blend it in my ninja blender. it comes out like soft serve and tastes amazing.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Avocado, olive oil, coconut oil. Those are my main sources, with olive oil being the biggest.
  • EBRE44
    EBRE44 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, as a vegetarian i had same issues at first. eggs and seeds (I don't know if nut allergies apply to this) provide healthy fat - fat without massive calories, salt or sugar. Both are high in protein and various vitamins too!! Good luck
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am allergic to nuts and I do not eat red meat, and I continually am finding myself beneath my fat macros.

I am wondering what other sources you gain your fat from? currently, mine are only coming from occasional dairy products and olive oil. I know avocados are a good source, but they aren't my favorite food.
    Any suggestions?

Coconut oil (you can put it in your coffee)
    Oily fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel and trout are full of omega-3 fatty acids
    Eggs
    Avocado (of course)
    Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds
    Flaxseed
    Tofu
    Grass-fed butter (you can put it in your coffee)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Olive oil salad dressing almost every day for my lunch salad - homemade with 1tb of olive oil and 2tb of vinegar/lemon juice. Then, at some point during the day, I typically have a serving of nuts (handful of almonds, KIND bar, etc) or a serving of avocado. Plus whatever comes in my cheese, meats, eggs, etc for the day.

Edited because I just remembered the nut allergy. Sorry, my reading comprehension iz no gud. :flowerforyou: Obviously skip that suggestion. But the rest stands!

I also agree with previous suggestions for coconut oil, and, duh, butter - I don't use a ton but I do use it when it's important (good bread, corn on the cob, etc).
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Butter
    Salad dressing
    Mayo
    Eggs

Eat less lean protein
    Pork chops
    Dark chicken or turkey meat
    Goose
    Duck
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Olives, Olive Oil (Any cooking oil), Pumpkin Seeds, Edamame, Chia Seeds, Sunflower seeds, full fat dairy products
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    resized_all-the-things-meme-generator-eat-all-the-cheese-d41d8c.jpg
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Avocado
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Fatty Fish The term "fatty fish" may sound unappealing, but actually, these are the healthiest and most delicious foods from the sea. Oily fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel and trout are full of omega-3 fatty acids—good fats, unlike the bad saturated fat you find in most meats. According to the American Heart Association, people should eat at least two servings weekly of lake herring, lake trout, mackerel, salmon, sardines or tuna for the healthy omega-3 fats they contain.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Cheese
    Eggs
    Coconut oil
    flaxseed oil
    Butter
    Salad dressing
    Mayo
  • marshart
    marshart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Butter, avocados, canola oil, ice cream, and lots of desserts and bad fats.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when my fat macro is too low I tend to boost it with ice cream.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Excluding peanut butter, my main sources:

Flaxmeal
    Olive oil
    Full fat dairy
    Cheese
    Bacon (is that considered red meat?)

I'm not a big fan, but olives too, and sunflower seeds. I eat mine in trail mix or homemade granola. I also eat a lot of Doritos, but I'm not sure that's considered a healthy source.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds - straight, by the spoonful. Lotsa fiber there, too.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Oils/butter, full-fat dairy (cheese, milk, yogurt, creamer).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Chocolate
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Chocolate covered nuts (best of both worlds) :wink:
    Margarine
    Milk