Adjusting Macros

Options
Is it better to adjust your macros based on theoretical guidelines (protein for LBM, etc), or based on what you're physically capable of consuming?

I've had my protein macro set at 65% for a long time, fat at 30%, carbs at 5%, because I've been doing regular circuit/weight training at the gym, and though I'm definitely overweight, as per my measurements I'm at about 30% bodyfat. My problem is that I have a really hard time hitting that high of a protein macro. Yesterday was the first time I've come close, and I ended up having to supplement with a muscle milk pro just to get within single-digit grams.

So is it better to adjust to what you're capable of doing, or should I be striving to hit that macro anyway? I'm usually under my calorie limits, and I have a large deficit built in (650 per day) so even on the days I go over, I'm still under my TDEE.

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    first off - there is no reason for your carbs to be set so low especially when you are doing regular weight training. how do you even have the energy to do anything at 5% carbs?

additionally, your protein is excessive.. i eat 190g of protein a day, which ends up being about 39%.

i don't think your problem is being unable to meet your macro goals, but rather your macro goals themselves.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    first off - there is no reason for your carbs to be set so low especially when you are doing regular weight training. how do you even have the energy to do anything at 5% carbs?

because energy also comes from fat intake. fat is a more efficient fuel source. dietary carbs aren't necessary for the human body to function, since the kidneys and liver are capable of creating whatever bits of glucose might be required.
    additionally, your protein is excessive.. i eat 190g of protein a day, which ends up being about 39%.

i don't think your problem is being unable to meet your macro goals, but rather your macro goals themselves.

ok... this is what i was wondering, if my macros were in line or if i should change them.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    With your carbs that low I am surprised you aren't on a ketogenic diet, with 65% or higher of your calories coming from dietary fats. From my understanding, if you are going to cut your carbs down that far, it is ideal to go moderate protein, high fat.