Replies

• mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    any recipe suggestions for beginners?

I am so lazy.

I had this:
    red quinoa (never tried red) and some
    fresh grilling veg (purchased cut from the store): red & white onion, red/yell/green bell peppers, zucchini, squash (I already at the huge mushroom slices the previous day) and a
    can of southern-style 'seasoned' pinto beans

and i

boiled 2 C. quinoa in: 4 C water and chili sesame oil, tamari, and spices (but it doesn't matter bc the canned beans overpowered everything :sad: ) and simmered for some minutes
    chopped veg small and added to quinoa; returned to boil, then simmered for a few more minutes
    added beans; simmered until thick and stewy

this turned out delicious and fairly filling. the whole thing tasted of the canned beans, though. next time I do this it will probably be with mushrooms, bigger veg pieces, and nothing from a can.

you just have to be able to chop and boil, and stand around stirring (occasionally) for 20 min.
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I am not a fan of quinoa.

However, when you coat it in chocolate it tastes alright ;)

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2224470

I always dry fry the quinoa after I rinse it as well. Before you start cooking it. I find it helps to get rid of that bitter taste a lot more.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yes you should rinse quinoa seed as it has saponins which are an anti-nutrient, and most likely the plant's defense to being eaten.
    Many plants produce saponins but the seed of the quinoa plant (it's not a grain which is a grass, but a chenopod) can be rinsed fairly easily to remove them. I use a fine strainer and the kitchen sprayer and rinse for a minute before cooking.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I cook it in chicken stock and it's delicious.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have heard quinoe is better than rice but how's the taste?
    Better than rice.
    :tongue:

Seriously, I love it. But, I cook it in broth. Then use a variety of different recipes with it.
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Honestly it taste like nothing. I put a bit of olive oil in the pot and sauté some onion and red peppers then I'll add the quinoa with the chicken stock some spices and voila yum!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    ... the hubby says it tastes like it was grown in the dirt in the forests of Peru!

I'd agree with this. I've tried it several different ways, and it still tastes dirty/grassy.

If you soak it overnight and rinse well before cooking you won't get the dirt taste.