REALLY Hot on Keto Diet

Hi. Anyone out there suffer from feeling really, really hot doing Keto Diet. My face is as red as beetroot in the mornings and throughout the day I get several hot flushes. Any ideas?:explode:

Replies

• Menopause.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Could it be menopause?
  • Jeanwf
    Jeanwf Posts: 15 Member
    I have finished now with the menopause as I started when I was 46! Grrrrr. Could it be because I am burning fat?
  • grinningsoul77
    grinningsoul77 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Jeanwf, how long have you been doing keto? Are you already fat burning adapted? I believe it's possible that the stored fat you are burning can contain excess estrogen, so it's possibly hormonal. Have you started eating coconut oil?
  • Jeanwf
    Hi grinningsoul7 I'm now in ketosis (purple on ketostick, stinky breath etc) and been doing it for 2 weeks now. I started using coconut oil yesterday in bulletproof coffee but woke up yesterday with red face before using the coconut oil. Oh the bullet proof coffee gave me acid reflux all day!
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    I tend to be cooler while in ketosis--carbs really amp up my body temperature. The only time it gets worse than when I'm eating carby/gluteny foods is when I'm going into ketosis. It feels often like I'm running fever when I'm in keto-flu. I would give it another day, keeping the carbs super low, and if it doesn't get better, maybe ask a medical professional for some guidance?

Definitely be drinking loads of water! Ketosis makes you more dehydrated than usual.
  • Jeanwf
    Wonder if it's Keto Flu then? Not had many problems since starting so perhaps it could be that. Actually if I think about it I do feel like a cold coming on. As you say, give a couple more days and see if it subsides. Carbs are well below 20grams and weight loss 5lbs in 2 weeks.
  • grinningsoul77
    grinningsoul77 Posts: 2 Member
    I think the hot flashes must just be a sign of getting keto adapted. From all I've read it takes about three weeks to become fully fat burning adapted. Watch out with the coconut oil. I started eating it by the tablespoon in my bullet proof coffee and had to stop because it made me feel funny. Then I found out that you should start with like a half teaspoon and work your way up to a tablespoon. I'm just starting my second week of keto, but last year I did about three months and felt wonderful. Can't wait to get back to that. I also found a previous forum post from someone else who was having keto related hot flashes: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1207323-hot-flashes. I think if you stick with it they'll go away.

Oh, and I used to have heart burn every day and it has vanished almost completely in just the first week. So, keep calm and keto on!
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    Have you noticed the burning sensation after a couple of min taking your Multi Vitamins? If so it can be Vitamin B-3 or to much niacin in the multis. I been doing Keto for a while now and haven't noticed any of these symptoms but when I take my Multis in the AM I get a burning sensation on my face after 20 min of consuming my vitamins.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    I had this issue when I switched to ketogenic eating. I can not remember how long it lasted but I think it was just a week or two. I was very hot, woke up with hot sweats and had fan on me most of day. Not an issue now though. I am 9 weeks so far in to high fat, low carb. I assumed it was something to do with the transition. The first couple of weeks I was accidentaly keeping my total Carbs under 20g instead of my net Carbs so I was actually extremely low carb. I don't know if that made a difference. I progressed from no trace to the darkest purple on the test sticks in first week even while drinking loads. I have now increased my Carbs more and stay in light to medium pink range. My net Carbs are now 20-40 max instead of 20 max.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    OMG yes! i had hot flashes for the first 3 days. i'm on day 6 now and feeling much better
    hang in there.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Hi Jeanwf, how long have you been doing keto? Are you already fat burning adapted? I believe it's possible that the stored fat you are burning can contain excess estrogen, so it's possibly hormonal. Have you started eating coconut oil?
    I'm leaning toward it being hormonal as well.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Well your profile says you're 54, soooo...but if you're done with all that...I would check with the Dr.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Well your profile says you're 54, soooo...but if you're done with all that...I would check with the Dr.
    granted, hot flashes can return AFTER...
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Be Careful on the Keto diet. Maybe try bullet proof coffee in the morning and look into IF eating balanced foods that hit your carloric targets for the day. Consider the first meal at noon.
  • CheeeekyChap
    CheeeekyChap Posts: 36 Member
    I'm a 35 year old male.

I get hot flushes too, and what feels like a lot of heat "under my skin" all over at times. This comes and goes.

Obviously because of your gender it maybe worth going to the Dr, but I'm on a similar diet to you and often feel hot.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Oh yes.....and with a vengeance.

I also think it's hormones.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Oh yes.....and with a vengeance.

I also think it's hormones.
    And they often DO return with a vengeance when weight is lost...
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    It does sound like it is hormonal. You can always ask your doctor if it is normal and or anything you should worry about.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    YES! I've been in ketosis for about 4 months now. I sweat more and I feel hotter and do have occasional hot flashes. I'm 35/F. Not in menopause by a long shot. That said, burning fat and losing weight changes the estrogen level. So it is definitely a combination of the keto and the hormone levels changing.

Edit: I wouldn't be concerned at all, even if it is annoying, unless it starts affecting your life to the point that you are miserable. Optimal nutritional ketosis isn't dangerous. Make sure you are sufficiently hydrated and getting enough electrolytes. My hotflashes have leveled off mostly now that I've been "in" so long.