21 lbs in 61 days (and some "advice")

Options
I've been in weight-loss land before, but I've yet to sustain it for this long (or under this much school stress), so there's a silver lining to that. I've unfortunately fallen off the exercise wagon (looking to reintegrate it eventaully), so this has (mostly) been accomplished with calorie counting.

A few things I've learned (or have worked for me):

== 1) When you first start, you'll likely be very hungry a lot of the time--but it gets better. ==
Beforehand, I tried some 1600-1800 calorie days and found myself absolutely starving. Nowadays, I regularly consume 1200, and while I do wish I could eat more sometimes, the hunger is hardly ever *painful*. So for you first-timers: it does get better. :-)

== 2) Manage your hunger--not the other way around. ==
I could write a bunch of sub-tips for this, but there are three that come to mind.

a) Work around your urges. Typically, when the day starts/is in full swing, my hunger is suppressed by my workload/activities. It comes backs in in full force when I'm more relaxed. Thus, I'm comfortable keeping myself to a small snack early on and saving myself for a larger meal later (generally more satisfying!). There is some debate as to the relative benefit of continuous snacking versus intermittent fasting, but I can say--at least from the weight loss angle--that a fasting-type schedule *can* work.

b) Keep track of your satiety versus calorie intake. One thing I learned to cut was most breads and carbs-- they taste great, but the amounts I would have to eat to feel sated would really make it difficult for me to eat much else (put another way, 300 calories of bread doesn't "feel" like 300 calories :P). On the other hand, vegetables and fish are some of my favorite go-to options. Over time, you learn what foods offer more satisfaction for the calorie cost.

c) Mind games! Ultimately, the hunger signal is the end result of your brain interpreting a silent dialogue with your stomach--and when you first restrict calories, your brain's first response might be "Something's wrong!". I found that one thing that helped in the early stages was reminding myself that my macronutrients were all right, I wasn't starving myself, I wasn't going to die, etc. and that my brain was taking time to adjust. Eventually, it got the hint. :-)

== 3) Be zen about your weight fluctuations. ==
This probably helps me the most on a day-to-day basis. It generally takes 5 days to a week before I see any significant loss--but it's usually about 2 lbs from the last measurement. Of course, I don't lose all that in one night--rather, I've been losing weight slowly and my natural fluctuations (e.g., water weight) have been masking it. So next time your scale isn't telling you what you want to see, ask yourself: am I being honest with my calorie balance? If the answer is yes, then give it some time--the results will (hopefully) show eventually.

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I love to hear about successes and what does work :)
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    very useful
  • stephxfit
    stephxfit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great tips! After years of binging and just constant overeating, I'm finding myself in the "hungry even at 2000 calories" phase right now. I suspected it got better, but thank you for confirming it :) keep up the good work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!