Fitbit a piece of crap

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Mine works perfectly. I rely on it heavily for calories and it never disappointed me. Looks like you got a faulty one. It's a good device if you know what to expect. It won't count all kinds of exercise as active minutes (they are very specific about what counts and what smart activity recognizes) and some hand movements can count as steps, so if you do activities where you move your hands often just put it in your pocket temporarily, it would still count steps but not hand movements.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    111YoYo111 wrote: »
    Has anyone else been suckered into buying one of these piece's of junk? I sat on my butt all day saturday reading a book and it suddenly buzzed to tell me I'd hit my 10,000 step goal! Though when I go to the gym for an hour I am credited with a whopping 4 active minutes. Of course they are ignoring my e-mails.

Has anyone bought a different one that actually works or is this as foolish as diet pills?
    Of course it's a piece of crap.

It's a fad like the things from the past decades which died away.

A pretty useful fad ;)
    Fads aren't all bad if you understand what you are paying for and believe what it offers to be worth the money. When this fad dies out, I'm sure there will be something to replace it plus more new useful fads (A device that automatically and accurately counts calories in any food, anyone?)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    With corporate insurance plans offering discounted premiums to people who show a history of walking every day, step counters aren't going anywhere. The hardware and software required have got so cheap that step counters are being built into things like smart phones and GPS watches, not just Fitbits.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else been suckered into buying one of these piece's of junk? I sat on my butt all day saturday reading a book and it suddenly buzzed to tell me I'd hit my 10,000 step goal! Though when I go to the gym for an hour I am credited with a whopping 4 active minutes. Of course they are ignoring my e-mails.

Has anyone bought a different one that actually works or is this as foolish as diet pills?

A pretty useful fad ;)
    Fads aren't all bad if you understand what you are paying for and believe what it offers to be worth the money. When this fad dies out, I'm sure there will be something to replace it plus more new useful fads (A device that automatically and accurately counts calories in any food, anyone?)

^ Basically my thoughts. There will always be glitches with technology. (Seems lucky to have a smartphone that will last a year.)
    I've had several different models of fitbits. I had the One for several years, it still works but I decided to try out a wrist model. (I had a Fitbit before having a Fitbit was "cool".)
    I've since realized I am extremely hard on things worn on the wrist, and that's not fitbits fault. It does what I expected 99% of the time. I consider their prices pretty reasonable compared to similar products.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ...reading a book and it suddenly buzzed to tell me I'd hit my 10,000 step goal

If it's not a defective unit I hate to imagine how much damage you're doing to the book whipping the pages hard enough to register
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have used 5 different models (over lots of years), and have never had problems like OP's.
    The button broke on my Charge HR last year. When it happened to the replacement, they gave me a credit (they wouldn't replace a replacement, apparently, even under warranty).
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options

The first pedometer was made in 1780, so says Wiki, FWIW.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I've been using them for years and love the functionality. I've had a few issues with batteries and bands, but overall, I'm pleased with the information it provides.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    LOL

My charge HR works perfectly and has done so for over a year. I've set it up for my dominant arm even though I wear it on my non dominant and I delete driving steps. No biggie.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My Charge HR was great for 2 years until the little band that holds the band down broke. 2 days later it fell off my wrist while I was shopping.

I contacted Fitbit, because a few people mentioned how good their service was. Lo and behold, they replaced my out-of-warranty, well used Fitbit with a brand new one, for free. I was astounded. New one works great too!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've owned two Fitbits now, and the only reason for that is I wanted to upgrade to one with move reminders.

I have had no issues with them and find them to be very useful devices.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    New FitBit user here but 2 weeks in and I love it. Keeps me motivated to stay at the top of my friends list for steps which in turn is boosting my TDEE. Win/Win.
  • Makeitso39
    Makeitso39 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and I love it! I lost it once and customer services sent me a brand new one! I'd love to upgrade but not allowed to wear at work so no point. I think you were very unlucky OP.
  • mimiyoyo1
    mimiyoyo1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Garmin for the win. Just sayin'. Love my Vivoactive HR. Glad I didn't bother with a Fitbit.
  • Nataliea87
    Nataliea87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Blaze, and I love mine! It usually tracks pretty well with my level of activity- IE, when I'm working on a serving shift, or doing barn chores, it definitely counts the calories/extra steps I've burned with the heart rate tracker. My yoga instructor and I love comparing how many calories we've burned at the end of a sculpt class, she has started having me track it so I can see my progress :)
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like my Charge 2 and find it motivating. I have a triathlete family who all have fancy top of the range Garmin watches and cyclometers plus a separate gps unit so I've had lots to 'check' its accuracy against. Once I calibrated my stride correctly we've found it is surprisingly accurate - steps and distance are usually within 1%. Time will tell how robust it is but for now I'm pleased for the price
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Nice thread resurrection!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Nice thread resurrection!

Oh man! I didn't even notice. Good catch.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I went through a lot of fitbits and have gotten multiple replacements from customer service. I was fed up and decided enough is enough. I bought a Samsung Fit gear2. It's much better and I haven't had one issue with it.

Edit: I didn't realize it was a necro thread.