How much is 1/4 cup steel cut oats from a large batch

Options
I just bought a new crock pot and I'm wondering how I would measure out 1/4 cup serving cooked if I make a big batch .. Oats expand and when they're cooked the amount looks more than 1/4 cup.

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new crock pot and I'm wondering how I would measure out 1/4 cup serving cooked if I make a big batch .. Oats expand and when they're cooked the amount looks more than 1/4 cup.

there should be an option in the data base for cooked. hit the drop box and choose cup then adjust to .25.
  • Mrbadbern
    Mrbadbern Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I figure 1/4 cup dry equals 1 cup cooked. 1 part dry + 3 parts water.
    Hint: I use pan release (cooking spray) on the crock; it really helps with cleanup.

I measure 2 cups dry steel cut oats, 6.5 cups of water, pinch of salt. Set the crock to low for 1-1/2 hours. Mine will default to warm after the set cook time. They come out nice and creamy.
    Reserve in the fridge, and microwave with a little water and serve.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Weight your dry oatmeal before you cook it(grams or ounces).

Then...

Weigh your oatmeal after it is cooked (grams(more accurate) or ounces) and divide that weight by the number of servings that you cooked.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I just made steel cut oats last week. I knew I was going to be sticking it in the fridge, so I selected a Gladware that had the # of cups measured on the side. It turned out my recipe made an 8 cup batch. So when I entered it into the recipe section here, I put 8 servings. That way the nutrition information was per cup.

By the way, I tried a new recipe (pumpkin pie steel cut oats). NOT anything like pumpkin pie. Passable, but not... good. So today I did my happy dance when I FINALLY finished the last darn cup of that stuff! Back to the good old apple oatmeal recipe that I discovered last year!
  • tdoughboy
    tdoughboy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ajfueling what is that recipe?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Weight your dry oatmeal before you cook it(grams or ounces).

Then...

Weigh your oatmeal after it is cooked (grams(more accurate) or ounces) and divide that weight by the number of servings that you cooked.

Yeah, this.

My steel cut oats are 44 g/serving (dry). So if I wanted to make a bunch of servings I might measure out 6 (264 g) and cook it and then weigh the total. For one serving I'd eat 1/6 of that total.
  • cdclark003
    cdclark003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just cooked some Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats, 3 servings cooked weighed ~ 495 grams, 1 serving then was 165 grams. All the entries in MFPal are in cups or teaspoons, etc. I'm trying to find cups to grams conversion for my log.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,153 Member
    Options
    @cdclark003
    Next time -- weigh before you cook. 100 grams raw for 3 servings? = 33.3 grams raw when you eat it, no matter how much it weighs cooked. Probably the best way to measure pasta, rice, etc. too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    cdclark003 wrote: »
    I just cooked some Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats, 3 servings cooked weighed ~ 495 grams, 1 serving then was 165 grams. All the entries in MFPal are in cups or teaspoons, etc. I'm trying to find cups to grams conversion for my log.

There are entries in the database in grams. Usually I can find one. Quite rarely I need to create one.

Be sure to check the serving size drop-down. There are quite a few entries that have the default quantities in cups/spoons, but there'll be a weight measure in the drop-down.