Crazy Weight Fluctuations

Options
So, I've been doing pretty good for about 11 weeks now. It's been consistent, very few cheat days, etc. Recently, I had a couple days where I ate about 300 over tde. I gained almost 8 pounds over the course of about 3 days. I've buckled down and lost the gained weight now, but I find it quite odd that there was such a disparity. Can someone explain this to me? I consider myself a scientific person, so if you have a good scientific explanation(sodium caused water retention possibly), I would greatly appreciate it. It's hard to stay motivated for long periods when you're changing your lifestyle to preserve your future.

Replies

• ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Water retention. I have gained 3lbs over night from too much sodium. I try to drink tons of water when my sodium is high and it helps.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Also, if you aren't already, weigh all of your food. It really does make a difference.
  • Thanks! That confirms a lot of what I've been thinking and it really helps to have someone else say it! And I bought a digital scale about half a year ago and it's been a lifesaver. I don't know how I made anything before! It's so much easier to way out recipe ingredients than rely on guesstimates for amount of flour, rice, barley, etc.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Yep water retention from sodium, hormones, illness, exercise etc. If you can weigh in each day without getting overly attached to the number you get, then you can start to track some interesting patterns. For me, I can gain up to 6lbs in water weight from lifting, from eating too much sodium etc. Right before TOM I drop a serious amount of water - its crazy!!